dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to navyson

to navyson

Re: What do we want from Verizon in 2013?

How bout when media server is released, its done so that it qualifies as IPTV. Its already a drastic change, might as well go ALL THE WAY, and free themselves of QAM limitations and offer a limitless amount of HD channels.

I also believe that AT&T Uverse is IPTV, and its free of franchise agreements, ( this could vary state to state) so in all those areas that Verizon wired up with fiber, but cannot presently offer TV service, they should be able to.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

The Data side to support IPTV isn't unlimited, at 10 mbs stream they would dwarf NetFlix usage, which according to recent articles is video is approaching 50% of all network traffic
brutus
join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

brutus to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I wouldn't mind seeing more speed tiers. I always found it odd that Verizon doesn't offer more options when it comes to internet speed.

I of course would love to see more channel bundles to pick from such as a real no sports package.

Any solution such as IPTV would need to offer me the ability to continue to use the hardware I choose. Anything that forces me to use their hardware on a monthly rental that will never go away I have zero interest in.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

The Data side to support IPTV isn't unlimited, at 10 mbs stream they would dwarf NetFlix usage, which according to recent articles is video is approaching 50% of all network traffic

Just wait until the new PS4/Xbox come with even more streamed games.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

As if TV service works by magic. AT&T doesn't cap the hours you can watch TV..
Does Verizon cut you off from watching TV if you're watching it too much?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

As if TV service works by magic. AT&T doesn't cap the hours you can watch TV..
Does Verizon cut you off from watching TV if you're watching it too much?

Um, actually, there ARE limits on UVerse, last I read the internet is capped below the slowest quantum FIOS tier, you can only have one or two HD stream per household and the video is horribly over compressed to minimize the bandwidth as its delivered by vdsl2.

Just think if FIOS was all IP, your looking at 4 million households streaming 10mbs per mpeg4 stream, even with optical, the last mile would be a stretch to support that many concurrent users
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by guppy_fish:

Um, actually, there ARE limits on UVerse, last I read the internet is capped below the slowest quantum FIOS tier, you can only have one or two HD stream per household and the video is horribly over compressed to minimize the bandwidth as its delivered by vdsl2.

Doesn't change the fact that you're not limited to the number of hours you can watch TV. AT&T does not put a cap on the amount of data provided to the IPTV side of their service and thus does not limit the number of hours you can watch.

FiOS != VDSL2.
said by guppy_fish:

Just think if FIOS was all IP, your looking at 4 million households streaming 10mbs per mpeg4 stream, even with optical, the last mile would be a stretch to support that many concurrent users

Yes, because regular means of delivering TV works magic but switching to IP and the whole system will collapse. You have no idea what you're talking about.
zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

You need to do some research before making stupid statements like that. The technology called Multicast has been around since the 80s and used in other applications (Imaging thousands of PCs for one) before being used in large scale video streaming starting around 2000.

Using your logic no network in the world could handle 4 million 10Mbps streams yet I can name 2 LARGE company's that do it right now, the first is ATT with UVerse and the second is Bell Canada with Fibe TV (Similar to FiOS in that they use FTTH as well as like ATT with a FTTN setup) and both use Multicast to accomplish it.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

FiOS != VDSL2.

Unless you're in a condo or apartment that VDSL (or VDSL2 if you're lucky enough to have a GPON MDU; I am not) is used for your internet service. Admittedly, it's only for internet, and its distance is from the phone room to your unit, but it's still VDSL or VDSL2. If Verizon were ever to make a move to IPTV, this could become an issue for these MDU configurations.
mikev

mikev to zippoboy7

Premium Member

to zippoboy7
said by zippoboy7:

Using your logic no network in the world could handle 4 million 10Mbps streams yet I can name 2 LARGE company's that do it right now, the first is ATT with UVerse and the second is Bell Canada with Fibe TV (Similar to FiOS in that they use FTTH as well as like ATT with a FTTN setup) and both use Multicast to accomplish it.

I was actually surprised to see that the XBox, Smart TV/Blu-Ray, and iPad apps all use unicast HTTP to stream the TV to your device, rather than multicast.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to mikev

to mikev
That is not FiOS and all I meant by what I said is that FiOS does not have the same capacity constraints of VDSL2 with the speed tier AT&T is providing at the moment and even with the upgraded tiers they will be offering FiOS still has a huge advantage.