spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alpovs

join:2009-08-08

Upload in speedtest

I am not complaining but kind of curious. When I was on 28/1 plan I was consistently getting 0.99 or 1.00 as upload speed. Now when on 45/4 with Start and everything else being the same, the best I could achieve was 3.74 for upload. Any ideas why I can't achieve 4.00 or 3.99? Is it related to that I only have 16QAM (and QPSK) for upstream modulation (4 channels)?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
If you're using a router can you disable QoS (or go direct to the modem) and try again? Thanks.

alpovs

Of course, I disable QoS before doing speed tests.

When I looked through multiple threads with randomly posted speed test results I saw only one result that showed 3.96 - that's the maximum I found. The rest were 3.8 something or lower. So, my question is more general, not only about my connection..

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
With any internet connection there is overhead, caused by computers, routers, the speed test web site, tcp/ip headers, etc. With the download speed Rogers has speedboosting so you see greater than provisioned speeds often, but that doesn't exist on upload so you see the overhead more prominently. As for why you'd get 0.99 on 1Mbps, it's possible (guessing here) that Rogers has the 1Mbps upload overprovisioned a bit, ie perhaps 1.05 Mbps but with their 4Mbps perhaps it's actually provisioned as such.

You might also want to try without your router to see if there is a difference.

mj05

join:2008-04-02
Burlington, ON
reply to alpovs
Start offers 45/4? Where?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by mj05:

Start offers 45/4? Where?

Start is currently offering all of the new speeds that Rogers is offering is to it's retail customers up to 45/4

harmar

join:2011-05-25
reply to alpovs
My 2mb up connection im getting 1.98

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
reply to alpovs
The upload is an "up to" scenario as well. Many variables can affect the return path.

alpovs

Yes, coaxguy, I was asking about what kind of variables may affect it.

Thanks, rocca. It was more of an academic interest. So, 16QAM and not 64QAM or 256QAM is not the reason.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by alpovs:

It was more of an academic interest. So, 16QAM and not 64QAM or 256QAM is not the reason.

I don't believe so. The modulation isn't tied to the bitrate, ie you can have a 16QAM modulated bitrate of 1Mbps or a 256QAM modulated bitrate of 1Mbps and it's still 1Mbps. Of course if the circuit is provisioned for 256QAM and it's only coming up at 16QAM or there are high BER's then there is likely a layer-1 issue impacting that.

alpovs

Out of curiosity I tested direct to the modem, without the splitter (direct to the coax that goes outside) and after resetting the modem to all defaults and rebooting it. I got exactly the same results. Actually, the highest upload I got was 3.82 when I connected everything back (splitter, router but no QoS). Running speed tests to different servers in Toronto I get upload speeds in the range of 3.72-3.82. The download is quite stable around 45.4 (I get a short burp of speedboost in the beginning of tests). So, I guess it is over-provisioning for 1Mbps upload profiles and normal provisioning for higher speed profiles.

I don't think my CMTS was upgraded to 256QAM for upload. There is no indication whatsoever that I should be getting it.

I understand that Start has nothing to do with it. Since it is the first time I am seeing upload speed higher than 1Mbps I was wondering why it doesn't manifest itself the same way as 1Mbps did - with round numbers like 4.00.