share rss forum feed

lelou

join:2012-11-06
Beaconsfield, QC
Reviews:
·voip.ms

What ISP / contract ?

Hello all,

I currently am paying three times more per month for phone and internet than what I was paying in France. In France I had 3X more bandwidth, + streaming TV on the computer and calls to 30 countries.

I'm looking for the lowest total cost over a 3 year period, I don't need wireless modem, I'll take the basic thing. I'd be happy with VOIP. ADSL or cable are both OK. I'll use Skype for the other countries.

I live in the Montreal West Island.

Thanks for helping me out!

Expand your moderator at work

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to lelou

Re: What ISP / contract ?

Well if your expecting to get what you had in France forget about it your experience here will be the equivalent of Dial up compared to what you had.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to lelou

Ignoring any cynicism from the above post...

I'm not familiar with the third party providers in Quebec, I know TekSavvy and Start have offerings, Start has 15/1 Mbps with 300GB data for $44.95/month, one time $95 activation fee. Can't seem to get postal codes to work on TekSavvy's site. These two are Ontario based though. I believe Distributel and Electronic Box are Quebec based. I believe Distributel might be the one to check out, »www.distributel.ca/en/category.a···Internet . Lots of package choices. From what I hear they have improved dramatically over the years, they are reliable.

You won't really find speeds as fast as in France but Distributel offers up to 30/3 Mbps with unlimited usage. There are fast speeds like 200/200 from Videotron but it $200/month with a paltry 200GB data cap.

lelou

Beaconsfield, QC
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Thanks you guys. My usage is pretty low - 200 G cap seems reasonnable. Lots of windows update and adroid apps for that cap. I've gor kids hooked on youtube, I wouldn't want Ganman to stutter any more than it does with Bell's intermediate internet, but there is no need to go faster than that. Why are the prices so much more expensive than in France ?

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by lelou:

Thanks you guys. My usage is pretty low - 200 G cap seems reasonnable. Lots of windows update and adroid apps for that cap. I've gor kids hooked on youtube, I wouldn't want Ganman to stutter any more than it does with Bell's intermediate internet, but there is no need to go faster than that. Why are the prices so much more expensive than in France ?

to put it simply, no real competition!

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to lelou

To minimize costs:

Internet:
I would suggest you Teksavvy's Basic Cable 5M/300GB - $24.95. I am subscribed thru their Montreal-DSL reseller and all works perfect

Phone:
- Basic Tektalk $9.95 from Teksavvy or
- Voip.ms (if you talk less) or
- freephoneline.ca

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to lelou

Too bad you didn't show up in Ottawa last week to give testimony to the CRTC.

MM05

join:2012-10-04
reply to lelou

This thread might help you out: »[Internet] Comparaison des IISP par câble au Québec

tyche

@agr.gc.ca
reply to lelou

I would go third party. That is anyone except Videotron or Bell.

You can visit »www.canadianisp.ca/index.php to get an idea. Choices I would look at are Teksavvy, Electronic Box, Velcom.

lelou

Beaconsfield, QC
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Too bad you didn't show up in Ottawa last week to give testimony to the CRTC.

Is the CRTC ruling published yet ? Will it change the current offers ?

I didn't make it to Ottawa, I skiied from Lachute but stopped in Gatineau

»www.csm-mcs.com/

my pictures: »www.flickr.com/photos/lelou/

Thanks for the thread reference.

hm

@videotron.ca

said by lelou:

Is the CRTC ruling published yet ? Will it change the current offers ?

It should change prices and allowable usage with your monthly cots, yes. Give it a couple of weeks.

Review what Electronic box is offering and Teksavvy
»www.electronicbox.net/
teksavvy.com

But the usage and price may change in 2 weeks. These would be the only two ISP's you will want to look at where you are.

Personally, I would tell you to go cable. Less hassles. Just works. You get exactly what's advertised in Quebec (unless the reseller is having issues).

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to lelou

I would recommend Ebox hands down. I've dealt with a lot of crap companies out there and while I do have disagreements from time to time with Ebox, they do actually listen, even if they don't agree which is more than I can say about other companies I've dealt with.....