uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to fartness

Re: Mattresses suck

I have no idea if this will help, but it is very comfortable for me. I have a mattress, and I have no frame on it. I put the boxspring(mattress on top of course) directly on my carpet and sleep on it. Very little noise and more comfortable than a frame, but it is a little low. Try it and see if it helps you
--
No Victim=No Crime

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

Solutions?

why not have a bed made out of hay like the good old days

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to fartness

Just rotate and flip the mattress on a regular basis. Also rotate the box spring on a less frequent basis. Sheesh.

I bet you there was a tag on the mattress telling you to do that.

moseby
Ool For Me
Premium
join:2002-11-18
Somers, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to fartness

»www.sleepnumber.com/

Had one for 10 years, adjust as you want, firm one night soft another night.
--
Ool Has The Speed I Need today

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to fartness

I been thinking about this for awhile now. My bed was pretty expensive. ($700+) Its one of those pillow top ones, and very firm since my back is all messed up.
After about a year I started noticing an indentation where I normally lay...same on the better half's side.
I don't know if its the pillow top or mattress itself. Doesn't seem to be the pillow thing though.

Really like the pillow top, but now I see the drawback. You cant flip the mattress! And switching around the head/feet of course doesn't help either.

I'm with you on this one fartness...they might make it sound like they got the science down on mattress's, but I call BS on it.

This isn't the first time I have gone through this with an expensive mattress.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
reply to fartness

Get a Sleep Number mattress. »www.sleepnumber.com/

I've had back problems for years. Slept on a Sleep Number by chance when I stayed in a hotel that had them. After one night I said I HAD to get one, and I did.

Best thing I've ever done for my back.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to Robotics

quote:
You cant flip the mattress!
Original Mattress Factory does the pillow top on both sides so they can be flipped for most of their mattresses.

»www.originalmattress.com/
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Just rotate and flip the mattress on a regular basis. Also rotate the box spring on a less frequent basis. Sheesh.

He said he doesn't have a mattress that's flippable.

As for the OP, I'd say take a look at the Sleep Number bed as others have suggested, might be good.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

1 recommendation

He can certainly rotate the mattress and the box spring.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to fartness

I just have a piece of plywood between my mattress and boxspring and I'm a bigger guy and I have no dips in my mattress.

plywood also helps for support I had rolling into the middle of the bed.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to CylonRed

May check into that brand next time we need to get a new one.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to fartness

I weigh about 200. I bought a firm mattress and box spring with a regular metal fame about 2 1/2 years ago for around $800. It's still holding up pretty well.

I can only rotate mine. I do it once per month. Sure, before I rotate it, there's a little indentation from where I was sleeping for a month. If you are going to stay with a non-flippable, regular type mattress, just rotate it as often as you can.

Expand your moderator at work

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fartness

First choice = Tempurpedic
Second choice (I have this) = Sleep number with memory foam top.

I have had it for almost ten years and it never needs flipping.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by workablob:

First choice = Tempurpedic

They had Tempurpedic mattresses at a Ronald McDonald House I stayed at. Hated the mattresses. They're hot and uncomfortable. I'll never buy one.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

said by Hayward:

Have you tried memory foam yet?

The reviews seem to say the same things happen to them too. I've been through this with memory foam pillows too. After a few years, they aren't very good. I replace mine about every 2-3 years.

Memory foam pillows are different than the mattresses. I have a memory foam mattress and I'm much larger than you are and I have no dent in my bed. It's 100% flat after having it for a few years.

They're heavy as fuck though.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to Bob4

I've never slept on one but everyone I know that has one raves about it.

The sleep number works well for me and the wife though.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to fartness

$700 is expensive for a mattress?!

I don't skimp on shoes or mattress'. I'm in one all day and then in another all night.

My tempurpedic was roughly 5x that with boxspring and basic frame. If it sags more than a 1/2" or 1" they replace it. Something like a 30 year warranty.

I have slept on latex, didn't like it. Waterbeds are horrible. I know a couple people who have them. Everyone loved them. Being a bachelor I always get compliments on it.

I have found a couple people who put it down or "slept on one and didn't like it". One person slept on the "bob-o-pedic" generic (nothing like it) and another clone.

My mattress has never been "hot". I've always been comfortable with the temperature.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial, i'm not. I had back problems for years until I got this mattress.

I had a friend that worked for a name brand store. They have you lay on this bed and determine X and Y. After that my friend said go walk around and lay down, see what's comfortable.

BACULUM

join:2011-10-31
Leander, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to fartness

I have used a sleep number bed since 2007 and love it. Never have to worry about the unpossibility of flipping it, either. Once in a while, I take it down to zero, then up to about 90 just to freshen the air.
--
Only your wallet will hurt.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit
reply to fcisler

Tempurpedic beds are top notch. Outstanding and with the customer support to go with them. If money is no issue then there isn't really an across the board down side to them. They tend to vary a bit both good and bad from their quality competition brands. They offer a wide range of different memory foam mattresses to accommodate different perspectives.

However, they are WAY overpriced. They are expensive. You can buy if, BIG if you are an informed and educated buyer another brand just as good and in some ways better at a much lower price.

One problem, is that you really have to know your stuff when it comes to both memory foam and the companies that sell the beds and or toppers. Most people are clueless on that. You need to do our research or talk to someone that has, knows there stuff, and you can trust.

However, if money is no problem and you don't want to play detective then I would highly recommend them as the way to go. But with a little investigation you can do much better than Tempur-Pedic especially in price while getting an equal or supperior product. Also, toppers in conjunction with a relatively new bed are by fare the cheapest but still just as effective way to go IMO.

--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to fartness

First time posting in a mattress thread. That said, another supporter of the Tempurpedic memoryfoam.

As Archivis mentioned, a memory foam pillow and mattress are different beasts. The mattress has a foam "core" and different depths of memoryfoam. My wife and I have had our mattress for years with no signs of indentation.

There is also different qualities of memoryfoam.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I hated sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic (the correct spelling). I HATED it. Every time I changed my sleeping position, I had to wait for the stupid Tempur-Pedic mattress to re-conform to my body, interrupting my sleep. And the Tempur-Pedic mattress was significantly hotter than a normal mattress. I hated it.

Did I mention that I HATED sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic mattress?

icomfort

@cogentco.com
reply to fartness

We purchased the Serta iComfort Genius model this fall. It has gel memory foam. It is very firm, but we love it. No more back pain and we definetly can tell a difference when we stay at a hotel. No sagging at all, and we have not rotated yet. (No flip)

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

said by Hayward:

Have you tried memory foam yet?

The reviews seem to say the same things happen to them too. I've been through this with memory foam pillows too. After a few years, they aren't very good. I replace mine about every 2-3 years.

Highly unlikely, as they are warranted for 20 years, while an innerspring is only warranted for ten years....

I have a memory-foam bed, best decision I EVER MADE, got rid of my backache, now I fall dead to the world when I sleep, no more tossing and turning all night.

It is like sleeping in beach sand, it conforms and there are no pressure points to bother you...

Go check one out...
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!
What part of "Illegal" is so hard to understand...

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

I'm 170.

I'm 6' 215Lbs. I have no issues with my mattress...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to fartness

Yes I agree totally!!!

They are cheap pieces of garbage that SINK IN and make you ache all over....... I wish i hadnt gotton rid of the one i had for 20 years or so!!!! (If i had known they too went to hell,i would have @ all costs tried to fix what i had)

GOOD LUCK BUDDY

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to fartness

I've had a cheap memory foam from of all places Walmart for over 2 years now and no indentations or anything. it's still as comfortable as day one! I am a big guy too 375lbs and it has held up extremely well.

I am moving in 6 months and will be buying another one for the guest bedroom that I will have. I spent $300 total for the queen mattress and frame.

Best $300 i've spent on a bed in my 36 years! Ive had beds that cost over $1000 and this one is 10 times better.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

I have done that. No difference.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to fartness

At least I'm not the only one having issues. I think a lot of people just don't notice, or their mattress is old and probably better (ie. not of this new junk that brands are putting out).

I also don't like the game that stores and mattress companies play with bed names. One store will be (brand name goes here) abc and the next store will be (brand name goes here) xyz, but they will be the same exact mattress (ie. Serta LoveBed at one store and Serta RawDog at another, but it's the same bed). Makes it so you can't compare prices. It's all a crock of shit.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

You know the mattresses are the same, so you can compare prices. What it means is the stores won't match prices.