nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness

Re: Mattresses suck

First time posting in a mattress thread. That said, another supporter of the Tempurpedic memoryfoam.

As Archivis mentioned, a memory foam pillow and mattress are different beasts. The mattress has a foam "core" and different depths of memoryfoam. My wife and I have had our mattress for years with no signs of indentation.

There is also different qualities of memoryfoam.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

I hated sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic (the correct spelling). I HATED it. Every time I changed my sleeping position, I had to wait for the stupid Tempur-Pedic mattress to re-conform to my body, interrupting my sleep. And the Tempur-Pedic mattress was significantly hotter than a normal mattress. I hated it.

Did I mention that I HATED sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic mattress?

icomfort
@cogentco.com

icomfort to fartness

Anon

to fartness
We purchased the Serta iComfort Genius model this fall. It has gel memory foam. It is very firm, but we love it. No more back pain and we definetly can tell a difference when we stay at a hotel. No sagging at all, and we have not rotated yet. (No flip)

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

said by Hayward0:

Have you tried memory foam yet?

The reviews seem to say the same things happen to them too. I've been through this with memory foam pillows too. After a few years, they aren't very good. I replace mine about every 2-3 years.

Highly unlikely, as they are warranted for 20 years, while an innerspring is only warranted for ten years....

I have a memory-foam bed, best decision I EVER MADE, got rid of my backache, now I fall dead to the world when I sleep, no more tossing and turning all night.

It is like sleeping in beach sand, it conforms and there are no pressure points to bother you...

Go check one out...
JRW2

JRW2 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

I'm 170.

I'm 6' 215Lbs. I have no issues with my mattress...
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to fartness

to fartness

Yes I agree totally!!!

They are cheap pieces of garbage that SINK IN and make you ache all over....... I wish i hadnt gotton rid of the one i had for 20 years or so!!!! (If i had known they too went to hell,i would have @ all costs tried to fix what i had)

GOOD LUCK BUDDY

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness

I've had a cheap memory foam from of all places Walmart for over 2 years now and no indentations or anything. it's still as comfortable as day one! I am a big guy too 375lbs and it has held up extremely well.

I am moving in 6 months and will be buying another one for the guest bedroom that I will have. I spent $300 total for the queen mattress and frame.

Best $300 i've spent on a bed in my 36 years! Ive had beds that cost over $1000 and this one is 10 times better.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Just rotate and flip the mattress on a regular basis. Also rotate the box spring on a less frequent basis. Sheesh.

I bet you there was a tag on the mattress telling you to do that.

I have done that. No difference.
fartness

fartness (banned)

At least I'm not the only one having issues. I think a lot of people just don't notice, or their mattress is old and probably better (ie. not of this new junk that brands are putting out).

I also don't like the game that stores and mattress companies play with bed names. One store will be (brand name goes here) abc and the next store will be (brand name goes here) xyz, but they will be the same exact mattress (ie. Serta LoveBed at one store and Serta RawDog at another, but it's the same bed). Makes it so you can't compare prices. It's all a crock of shit.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

You know the mattresses are the same, so you can compare prices. What it means is the stores won't match prices.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

It's very hard to tell that they're the same when the names are different. It requires me to lay on one at one store, then memorize how it feels, then go to another store, do the same, then compare. Not happening.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Get a foam, bro.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to fartness

to fartness
You can usually tell by the stitching pattern, the amount of padding, and the firmness description.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
The only way to evaluate a mattress or mattress topper combo is to sleep on it for at least a week. Minimum. Awkward but that's just the way it is. A month is better.

Good online mattress and some local stores will offer free returns of mattresses or toppers 30 days up to a year.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Bob4

to Bob4

quote:
You know the mattresses are the same......
Im sorry but THEY ARE NOT AT ALL THE SAME!!!!

About 10 years ago they changed them FOR THE WORST!!!!! -- All the put out now mostly is this foam garbage that sinks in,doesnt offer good support,etc.........
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Should I try either of these? Or is there something better?
»www.amazon.com/Sleep-Stu ··· 5&sr=1-2
»www.amazon.com/Sleep-Stu ··· 5&sr=1-1

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to fcisler

Premium Member

to fcisler
said by fcisler:

$700 is expensive for a mattress?!

I don't skimp on shoes or mattress'. I'm in one all day and then in another all night.

My tempurpedic was roughly 5x that with boxspring and basic frame. If it sags more than a 1/2" or 1" they replace it. Something like a 30 year warranty.

I have slept on latex, didn't like it. Waterbeds are horrible. I know a couple people who have them. Everyone loved them. Being a bachelor I always get compliments on it.

I have found a couple people who put it down or "slept on one and didn't like it". One person slept on the "bob-o-pedic" generic (nothing like it) and another clone.

My mattress has never been "hot". I've always been comfortable with the temperature.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial, i'm not. I had back problems for years until I got this mattress.

I had a friend that worked for a name brand store. They have you lay on this bed and determine X and Y. After that my friend said go walk around and lay down, see what's comfortable.

I agree. I think they say we spend one-third of our lives sleeping so to me spending money on a good mattress is worth it. I think $700 is a good starting point. I paid that for ours, granted it was during a big sale so I'm not sure how much it was regularly.

With that said my wife asked if our next bed can be something that doesn't move as much. I toss and turn sometimes and shake the whole bed. So one that would not transfer movement too much would be good. The Sleep number bed might be my choice. Not a fan of memory foam beds as I not sure if I would like my bed to hold/trap me in place.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member

Blogger

Premium Member

If I were to buy a new bed tomorrow I would buy a quality economy bed and then buy a quality 5 lb 3 inch memory foam topper. With that combo I would get a super comfortable bed that had an acceptable life span and one that would be as comfortable as they come.

ADDENDUM: Several people have mentioned a heat factor with memory foam. It is true that some brands of the quality memory foam do run warmer than others however that is eliminated or mitigated satisfactorily with the proper cotton sheets or topper cover.

By the way make no mistake that there are quality brand memory foam products and lots of lousy quality product memory foam products. You really have to know what you are doing when buying either a memory foam topper or a memory foam bed. There is also a huge difference in price.

As mentioned before as truly great as Tempur-Pedic beds and toppers are they are way over priced when compared to the top of the line quality competition.

Tempur-Pedic beds also come in different degrees of softness but in general a same density Tempur-Pedic is slightly firmer than the same density of the competition that are high quality.

(There is so much trash memory foam products/makers out there. You have to know your stuff!)
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

If I could i would go back in time and get a GOOD MATTRESS AND PILLOW like the ones i had for 20+ years!!

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2 to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

With that said my wife asked if our next bed can be something that doesn't move as much. I toss and turn sometimes and shake the whole bed. So one that would not transfer movement too much would be good. The Sleep number bed might be my choice. Not a fan of memory foam beds as I not sure if I would like my bed to hold/trap me in place.

That is the same reason I got my Temper-Pedic mattress, no motion transfer. I tried a sleep number bed, saw no difference in it at any setting, I just sank deeper into it at the lower settings. I tested several memory foam mattresses before I got this one, there are MANY different models, even in the same manufacturer line, some were too soft, some ROCK hard.

The memory foam does not hold/trap you, it just conforms to your body, so no one spot has more pressure then the next.
JRW2

1 recommendation

JRW2 to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
said by Blogger:

Several people have mentioned a heat factor with memory foam. It is true that some brands of the quality memory foam do run warmer than others however that is eliminated or mitigated satisfactorily with the proper cotton sheets or topper cover.

I have both, and use high thread count cotton sheets.
In the winter I find the bed INSTANTLY warm, and in the summer it is quite cool to sleep in, unlike any inner spring mattress I have ever slept on.

YMMV.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

He is not comparing now and then. He is seeing name changes with no difference. It is similar to the way some items have one part number for one retailer, say 123456789T. and have have a different part number for another retailer, say 123456789W. The first one is for Target, the second one is for WalMart. Technically identical, but due to the different letter in the last position it is declared that you cannot price match or compare because the have different model numbers. Mattress manufacturers have been doing this for decades. Meaningless different names for technically the same mattress. In some cases they will change the color of the outer fabric, but all other aspects of the mattress are identical. In other cases the pattern of the outer fabric changes, the color stays the same, and the the rest of the mattress is identical. A third way is to change both the pattern and color, but keep the rest identical. That way retailers get a unique model name that they do not have to price match.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to fartness

to fartness

I am pretty happy with the serta iComfort.

»www.serta.com/icomfort-m ··· rta.html

120 day in home trial... 25 year warranty.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by workablob:

First choice = Tempurpedic

They had Tempurpedic mattresses at a Ronald McDonald House I stayed at. Hated the mattresses. They're hot and uncomfortable. I'll never buy one.

We have a Tempurpedic. We love it. The secret is to add a thin mattress pad, which absorbs the heat a bit. And it's superb in a cold climate. Had to put the dog out at 2:00 AM this morning. Temp was -5C. The bed was still warm when I got back in it. Went right back to sleep. Love it.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

I've never felt abnormally warm on our Tempurpedic. We use reasonable cotton sheets, but nothings expensive.
emig5m
join:2004-02-16
Columbia, NJ

emig5m to fartness

to fartness
When looking for a new bed last summer I made the mistake of laying on a TempurPedic Cloud Supreme. Every other other bed I laid on afterwards felt like crap, even other TempurPedics (which where either too hard- the original Cloud or too soft- the Luxe). I spent a good two weeks going around to different stores trying out every bed in the house and always kept going back to the Cloud Supreme. There was one other comparable gel based foam mattress called the iComfort or something but it cost more than even the Cloud Supreme at 3k! I tried and tried to find something as good for cheaper but nothing felt nearly as good to me and couldn't get the Cloud Supreme out of my head so I forked out for it. It hasn't sagged one bit and warranty is something like 20 years.

Word or warning though, they stink and emit a toxic chemical smelling fume when brand new. I couldn't even sleep on mine for the first couple weeks until it started to air out. I was almost going to return it was so bad. It took about three months for its smell to 100% go away. They should air these things out at the factory IMO because for the price you shouldn't have to put up with the air out time IMO. Also, they market some dual air channels or something in it to help with the claims that foam sleeps hot so I think that's the older generations that sleep hot. I have no problem with sleeping hot which was a concern to me. The initial off gassing was a definite problem though.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

When I bought mine, they warned me about the smell, it only lasted a few days for me...
The reason for the smell though is that the mattress is manufactured in the factory, goes straight on the truck and into your home, there is no "stock" of them waiting in some warehouse, so your mattress is EXCEEDINGLY brand new.
Something like a few days old, tops...

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member

Blogger to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2
said by JRW2:

said by Blogger:

Several people have mentioned a heat factor with memory foam. It is true that some brands of the quality memory foam do run warmer than others however that is eliminated or mitigated satisfactorily with the proper cotton sheets or topper cover.

I have both, and use high thread count cotton sheets.
In the winter I find the bed INSTANTLY warm, and in the summer it is quite cool to sleep in, unlike any inner spring mattress I have ever slept on.

YMMV.

I mirror what you do precisely and I get the exact same results. Nothing is quite as comfortable in its own way either as very high quality fine cotton sheets.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to fartness

to fartness
Stop buying a matress at walmart and buy a real one.
jeddak
join:2001-12-28
Visalia, CA

jeddak to fartness

to fartness
I found some interesting reading here: »www.themattressunderground.com/