La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to Blogger

Re: Mattresses suck

said by Blogger:

Several people have mentioned a heat factor with memory foam. It is true that some brands of the quality memory foam do run warmer than others however that is eliminated or mitigated satisfactorily with the proper cotton sheets or topper cover.

I have both, and use high thread count cotton sheets.
In the winter I find the bed INSTANTLY warm, and in the summer it is quite cool to sleep in, unlike any inner spring mattress I have ever slept on.

YMMV.
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!
What part of "Illegal" is so hard to understand...

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2
reply to Dude111

Re:  

He is not comparing now and then. He is seeing name changes with no difference. It is similar to the way some items have one part number for one retailer, say 123456789T. and have have a different part number for another retailer, say 123456789W. The first one is for Target, the second one is for WalMart. Technically identical, but due to the different letter in the last position it is declared that you cannot price match or compare because the have different model numbers. Mattress manufacturers have been doing this for decades. Meaningless different names for technically the same mattress. In some cases they will change the color of the outer fabric, but all other aspects of the mattress are identical. In other cases the pattern of the outer fabric changes, the color stays the same, and the the rest of the mattress is identical. A third way is to change both the pattern and color, but keep the rest identical. That way retailers get a unique model name that they do not have to price match.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to fartness

I am pretty happy with the serta iComfort.

»www.serta.com/icomfort-mattress-···rta.html

120 day in home trial... 25 year warranty.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by workablob:

First choice = Tempurpedic

They had Tempurpedic mattresses at a Ronald McDonald House I stayed at. Hated the mattresses. They're hot and uncomfortable. I'll never buy one.

We have a Tempurpedic. We love it. The secret is to add a thin mattress pad, which absorbs the heat a bit. And it's superb in a cold climate. Had to put the dog out at 2:00 AM this morning. Temp was -5C. The bed was still warm when I got back in it. Went right back to sleep. Love it.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4

I've never felt abnormally warm on our Tempurpedic. We use reasonable cotton sheets, but nothings expensive.

emig5m

join:2004-02-16
Columbia, NJ
reply to fartness

When looking for a new bed last summer I made the mistake of laying on a TempurPedic Cloud Supreme. Every other other bed I laid on afterwards felt like crap, even other TempurPedics (which where either too hard- the original Cloud or too soft- the Luxe). I spent a good two weeks going around to different stores trying out every bed in the house and always kept going back to the Cloud Supreme. There was one other comparable gel based foam mattress called the iComfort or something but it cost more than even the Cloud Supreme at 3k! I tried and tried to find something as good for cheaper but nothing felt nearly as good to me and couldn't get the Cloud Supreme out of my head so I forked out for it. It hasn't sagged one bit and warranty is something like 20 years.

Word or warning though, they stink and emit a toxic chemical smelling fume when brand new. I couldn't even sleep on mine for the first couple weeks until it started to air out. I was almost going to return it was so bad. It took about three months for its smell to 100% go away. They should air these things out at the factory IMO because for the price you shouldn't have to put up with the air out time IMO. Also, they market some dual air channels or something in it to help with the claims that foam sleeps hot so I think that's the older generations that sleep hot. I have no problem with sleeping hot which was a concern to me. The initial off gassing was a definite problem though.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

When I bought mine, they warned me about the smell, it only lasted a few days for me...
The reason for the smell though is that the mattress is manufactured in the factory, goes straight on the truck and into your home, there is no "stock" of them waiting in some warehouse, so your mattress is EXCEEDINGLY brand new.
Something like a few days old, tops...

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to JRW2

said by JRW2:

said by Blogger:

Several people have mentioned a heat factor with memory foam. It is true that some brands of the quality memory foam do run warmer than others however that is eliminated or mitigated satisfactorily with the proper cotton sheets or topper cover.

I have both, and use high thread count cotton sheets.
In the winter I find the bed INSTANTLY warm, and in the summer it is quite cool to sleep in, unlike any inner spring mattress I have ever slept on.

YMMV.

I mirror what you do precisely and I get the exact same results. Nothing is quite as comfortable in its own way either as very high quality fine cotton sheets.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to fartness

Stop buying a matress at walmart and buy a real one.

jeddak

join:2001-12-28
Visalia, CA
reply to fartness

I found some interesting reading here: »www.themattressunderground.com/
--
_Jed_

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to brianiscool

Walmart doesn't sell $1700 mattresses.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to fartness

This is a bit tongue in cheek but it's accurate. Buy an 8 lb density memory foam, one or two inch and sleep on the floor or a bed platform, You will never have the problem that is causing your current pique.

Regardless I'm sorry that you are having a negative sleep experience.

I too am having an ongoing deteriorating problem too linked to orthopedic disabilities and a degrading mattress.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

Expand your moderator at work

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to fartness

don't buy into the tempur-pedic bullshit.

the mattresses dent worse than any other i have seen, and i only weigh 165. i had to have it replaced under warranty twice. my foundation is ROCK solid, so i know it's not because of that.

they are hotter than hell in summer, and don't have any "memory" when it's warm out. in colder weather, it's like sleeping on a block of ice in both temperature and feel.

also, my wife had an allergic reaction to the chemicals they use to manufacture the foam (owners: remember the smell when they delivered it?). they wouldn't give us a refund for the mattress until my wife signed a form stating she would never mention anything about the allergic reaction to anyone, and that she promised not to sue tempur-pedic. read all about people having horrible reactions to them on the 'net---it's all over the place.

tamudude

@comcast.net
reply to fartness

After spending a fortune on all kinds of mattresses (including Sleep Comfort), I finally broke down and bought the Tempurpedic. Best thing I ever did. I did pay through the nose (bought the top of the line including recline and massager) but boy is it good!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to brianiscool

I dont think there are any!!!!! -- ALL THEY SELL ARE THESE CHEAP FOAM PIECES OF CRAP NOW!!

lowlevel

join:2008-02-27
Milton, ON
reply to dib22

Me too. Going on 5 months... wife and I are around 500lbs. (not each)

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to fartness

I will add our waterbed was a full wave, I never liked the wave-less models. I liked getting into a warm bed on cold nights and there are no pressure points, if you add enough water you don't have all that crazy wave action and you are not bothered if your sleep partner moves.

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to fartness

Our mattress is about 7 years old and it is still fine, it cost about $500 at the time and is a "pillow top", we used to have a waterbed but the cost of electric to keep it warm and replacing the mattress every few years(we have cats) was getting a bit expensive, I figure the bed paid itself off in less than two years.