spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rob1

join:2013-02-13

Is Bell still upgrading areas with DSL?

We live just north of Alliston....DSL stops about 1Kms south of me.

We have been here for 5 years and still nothing for my area.

Currently using Bell's Wimax portable internet option (slow).

Anyone in the know?

Cheers

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
You're pretty much in a vacuum there... Unless you're on the Scotch Line (Boyne St), where that new subdivision is pushing north, odds of Bell expanding much beyond what they've got now is pretty low...

You may find LTE or 4G cellular more usable then the WiMax; depending on where you're at - there's decent coverage from TELUS, Rogers, and Bell...

rob1

Lazman

Had Xplornet but to $$$ and high latency.

Not LTE yet - just 3G. Problem is everyone else in the area is in the same boat so the towers get saturated at peek times.

Bell is erecting a new tower in the spring on 13th just south of Lisle so with that I'm hoping it will take some of the load off the other tower on Airport road.

Telus put up a new tower on the base but no LTE.

Problem with wireless cell internet is the cost - compared to everyone on DSL it twice the cost for a tenth of the bandwidth.

So if I could run my own wire from the DSL box just south of me I would as I'm within 5 Km.

Silverbrook golf course has it and I can see the club house from the end of my driveway.

Been dealing with this crap since I moved in.....maybe Rogers will extend into the area in my lifetime.

Cheers

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to rob1
What's the closest intersection to you?

As for LTE coverage - it may be closer then you think... Barrie has LTE now; towards Angus, depends on elevation. There's plans for all 3 carriers (TELUS, Bell & Rogers) to build new towers in-region this year, as well.

rob1

LazMan,

My Iphone (on Bell ) only shows 3G - When at work (Markham) or in Barrie - it shows LTE.....so not active in my area -- yet.

I'm near 20th and 13th (Lisle) - Just north of David Dr.

Slam equipment is located just south of 17th near the dump on Concession Rd. 4.

BTW - Whats the cost to Bell to install a Slam?

Cheers

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to rob1
I know the area well... (LOL - that's the dump I use)

Cost for a remote SLAM like that, including install, is going to be in the 40-50k range - super-rough ball-park... It can go way up, if fibre runs are required.

Elevation may be a killer for getting LTE where you're at... There's plans to add more coverage this year, from what I've heard, but don't know if it'll be close enough to help you...

rob1

Tower going up on 13th just south of Lisle (about 1 min north of me) - Lot picked with Bell Canada notice sign in the front.

ETA - Spring 2013. I just hope they enable LTE on it.

Other options would be to get real friendly with the golf course and have them run another line in for me (i pay) then run a line to my house or use directional wireless.

I wonder if Bell would run a line from the SLAM to my house? about 2 K away....?? Interconnect with dry lines?

Options options.....I need em.......

LazMan
Premium
canada
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that - if your feeder doesn't pass through the JWI/Terminal that the SLAM's connected to, there's no practical way to get connected to it.

Bell (well, all the carriers) are in a big push to expand their LTE footprint. Odd's are in your favour, there...

If you're so close (within 4-5k) - why can't you get DSL? Does the qualification tool on the website say no, or have you actually talked to someone?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to rob1
said by rob1:

Telus put up a new tower on the base but no LTE.

That's because Telus is the DND carrier. It'sn a 1900 mhz tower.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

rob1

reply to LazMan
Lazman,

I'm feed out the Angus-Borden switch - 705-424-xxxx

DSL is from the Alliston switch - 705-434-xxxx

So I've been told.............by Bell.

rob1

reply to DKS
DKS - What does that mean? DND carrier?

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to rob1
Ahh - There are some weird wire-centre layout's there... Everett's fed from the Alliston exchange, you must be just the southern edge of Borden/Angus...

If you're fed from one wire centre, and the remote's on another, you're pretty much boned, for lack of a more technical term...

As for DND - Rogers does a lot of the cellular for DND, but TELUS does do some data for them, too...

rob1

Lazman - Well if you could run me a connection from the club house at Silverbrook - it would be a appreciated - lol -

It's only about 800 ft or so...... I won't tell if you don't..

Cheers

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to rob1
said by rob1:

DKS - What does that mean? DND carrier?

Department of National Defense. Telus put up towers on the bases because the signals were so poor for the Blackberrys. There is a new one at LFCA TC Meaford, too. Before that, there was no signal on base beyond Base Headquarters.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

As for DND - Rogers does a lot of the cellular for DND, but TELUS does do some data for them, too...

When did they switch? When I was carrying a DND cell phone it was Telus.
--

LazMan
Premium
canada
said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

Contract was awarded in late '10 or early '11 IIRC... Probably took close to a year to completely roll out, I'd imagine.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by LazMan:

said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

Contract was awarded in late '10 or early '11 IIRC... Probably took close to a year to completely roll out, I'd imagine.

That would explain it. Rogers coverage was worse at Meaford, though.
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
reply to rob1
said by rob1:

We live just north of Alliston....DSL stops about 1Kms south of me.

We have been here for 5 years and still nothing for my area.

Currently using Bell's Wimax portable internet option (slow).

Anyone in the know?

Cheers

Apparently they are - they just lit up Stoney Point, ON - an area I thought would never get DSL.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

Public Works signed a government-wide contract with Rogers back in 2010 or 2011 - all departments are supposed to transition to the single contract when their individual ones expire, unless there are circumstances requiring the use of another carrier (i.e. coverage in specific parts of the country).

Very possible DND is exempt from it though.