Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to MaynardKrebs

Mod

to MaynardKrebs

Re: Ripping CD's - Mac vs. Windows

OK -- the reason I was asking is that the iPad can stream high-resolution audio from iTunes to an external DAC using the camera kit. Evidently it can do this to any external powered USB DAC but here is an in-depth article regarding the DAC1 ($1000 Audiophile DAC). Note that to get highest resolution, the device must stream. So it seems like a laptop computer with all audio ripped to ALAC (Apple Lossless) with an iPad and your friend has high end audio with the user friendliness of Siri and iTunes.

"Using this adaptor, the iPad can transparently stream high-resolution digital audio to the USB input of DAC1 converters. Even more remarkable, the iPad is able to wirelessly stream a 96-kHz, 24-bit audio file via Wi-Fi without losing sonic quality. (Wireless streaming is achieved using iTunes 'Home Sharing' - a mechanism that enables media to be streamed between multiple devices on a common Wi-Fi network...)

This revelation is very exciting for many reasons. This setup has no sonic degradation or tradeoffs. Setup is instantaneous, and requires no drivers. It is a low-cost alternative to buying another computer to act as a music server. And now, with the recent announcement of Apple’s iCloud, the capabilities of this setup will expand to encompass more of your media experience.

Sonically speaking, this setup will stand up to even the most discerning audiophile scrutiny...
"

»www.benchmarkmedia.com/d ··· dio-dac1

Basically this eliminates the need to convert to a lossy format and should allow playback as your friend has experienced with his CD collection previously. Note that it is capable of streaming up to 96 kHz, 24 bits which is much higher than CD quality!

If you want something more portable, then Studio Six Digital makes a portable, battery powered DAC for $399 which uses the 30 pin connector. This would be great for a headphone setup I think.

»www.studiosixdigital.com ··· erface2/

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by robbin:

»www.benchmarkmedia.com/d ··· dio-dac1

If you want something more portable, then Studio Six Digital makes a portable, battery powered DAC for $399 which uses the 30 pin connector. This would be great for a headphone setup I think.

»www.studiosixdigital.com ··· erface2/

I have and use both of these, and can attest to the high quality of both. The Benchmark is in a league of it's own for DAC's, however you need to plug it into the wall for power. The headphone amps are absolutely stellar, plus it hooks into a stereo via balanced or unbalanced analog connections. The iAudioInterface2 is battery powered, and the headphone amp they put inside it is excellent in quality.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

This is great information - thanks guys.