Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to Racerbob

Re: [FireFox] Firefox 19.0 Final

Thanks.

EmoHobo

join:2010-07-16
reply to Racerbob

Either I have finally adjusted to it or this fixed the font rendering errors that came with the later updates of 18.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to jmorlan

Great idea Mozilla. All these years of telling people to open PDFs in a separate application (either it be Adobe, FoxIt or whatever your preference may be) and/or save PDFs in a download folder, scan them and then open them if they're safe as it's more secure that way...will be all for naught with this built in viewer since it's turned on by default.

More and more signs that Mozilla is or is fast becoming as bad as Google with Chrome.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

"...it will come down to how solid the JavaScript and HTML5 implementations are in the browser. "I would expect any vulnerabilities in these implementations to affect the PDF viewer too," he said."
The PDF viewer is using functions built-in to the browser anyway. So, basically, come for the browser, stay for the PDF (or vice versa).
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to kickass69

I do not see the big issue as long as an AV is set to scan files before opening them. For those that have an AV installed that is.

Have you visited Bugzilla to complain about this feature or just here where it is doubtful anyone from Mozilla would see it?

--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

No issues to report, here.

Some sites | pages are proving slower to load than expected. • anyone else ?

The same here.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

Thanks for this, Oleg See Profile

Expand your moderator at work

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to Racerbob

Re: [FireFox] Firefox 19.0 Final

FF is still leaking memory like a sieve.

Just idling on DSLR, the only tab open, and it went up a mb in under a minute.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to Oleg

Yup noticed the same thing this morning after updating.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

said by siljaline:

No issues to report, here.

The same here.

I'm using Version 18 Portable.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

I had to disable Firefox built in PDF reader. Every PDF I opened made my laptop fans sound like a jet engine. They speed up fast and the laptop gets very warm. Adobe Reader plugin will sometimes make my fans speed up but it was not as bad.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

In my point of view. It was a bad idea for Mozilla to implement PDF viewer into FF. it can cause issues with other PDF add ons, security vulnerability, and instability issues.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

You can atleast head into about:config and look up 'pdfjs.disabled' and switch it to True and switch 'pdfjs.firstRun' to False.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

said by kickass69:

You can atleast head into about:config and look up 'pdfjs.disabled' and switch it to True and switch 'pdfjs.firstRun' to False.

True. But the problem still remains, for the average PC user

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to Oleg

The viewer can be disabled, rather easily--it'll even prompt you to use another viewer if the document seems to be "above its capabilities" to render. As far as stability issues go, initial releases of anything tend to be relatively less than desired; but that's what version 3.0 is for (so, 1.0 down [though this "initial" release has already received significant development time and continues to receive such], 2 to go)--and you can't have v3.0 w/o having v1.0 first. Lastly, I don't think enough users understand that the viewer is simply taking advantage of new support that's being added to the browser (e.g. HTML5) anyway for a "changing world". The viewer will pretty much just make viewing PDFs about the same as viewing a fairly static web page.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

Which comes back to what I said about reverting years of good security practices. The putting all your eggs in one basket scenario these browser makers want just adds more vulnerabilities with more vectors of attack.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Anyone relying on someone else's security practices in order to make themselves or their activities secure is--almost certainly--in for a rude awakening. My browser is way down on the list of things that concern me relative to security; and this viewer doesn't really change that. (I don't really "trust" either Mozilla or Google, or any other software vendor for that matter. But I trust that I'll need to keep using their products in order to do the things that I want to do, so it's a trade off. And so it goes...)
--

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Oleg

I'm know getting an application hang dialogue in some cases Oleg See Profile with Ad Block Plus in use.

Will post back the exact dialogue the next time I witness it.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

It could be that other extensions causing FF to crash. If you are using Noscript extension try disabling it, and see if you are still experiencing crashes.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

My browser is way down on the list of things that concern me relative to security;...

True--security must be layered. That said I simply don't see the need to view PDF's within a browser but each to his/her own.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Oleg

The only extension I'm using is:
»[FireFox] Adblock Plus 2.23 for Firefox released
I have submit crash reports disabled. As some have noted with this build of FF, it's a bit buggy.
I only use three ABP subs, that is probably the cause.
I'll take application hangs over malvertizing.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Oleg

As noted: »Re: [FireFox] Firefox 19.0 Final
I've disabled the native FF PDF viewer to default.
IMO, the more in-Browser widgets you allow, the more likely your're going to see issues.
Granted Moz wanted to make this a convenience for users.
It now seems to be causing more issues than it's worth running.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to siljaline

It also could be an AV causing the freezing or crashing. What filter sets for ABP are you using. If you do not mind me asking?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to siljaline

If PDF (Portable Document Format) had simply remained a mechanism to view/print documents across platforms I doubt we'd have all these issues. That said Adobe had to (to sell updates) add more bells'n'whistles to it making it a hackers paradise.

Most of the time I simply view/search/print sections of PDF's. I love manuals in PDF format since they're searchable and more durable (know where your Microwave manual is?).
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

I used to have [many feet of] shelves of paper manuals [mostly] in binders. Then I had a few essential manuals--with notes and Post-Its--and a small pack of CDs (with PDFs but mostly with Book Manager docs). Then the CDs were replaced by online PDFs (all of which could be downloaded if one wanted). I hardly ever touch paper manuals now. Meh... time marches on.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I think I'm one of the few that does this but before buying any product (especially electronic) I download and view the PDF manual for it first. You can learn a lot from that without getting out of your seat.

(FYI my next step is to search for and read online reviews).
--

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Oleg

Not a problem.
»easylist.adblockplus.org/en/
Easy List | Easy Privacy & Fanboy.

A/V = ESET

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to Racerbob

Anyone having a problem with Bing since the update?

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

said by Madtown:

Anyone having a problem with Bing since the update?

No, but Google twice made me fill out a Capchka to make sure I was human. Never done that before, ever. I hate those things. They are almost unreadable, to humans.