Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to NotTheMama

Re: [FireFox] Firefox 19.0 Final

said by NotTheMama:

My browser is way down on the list of things that concern me relative to security;...

True--security must be layered. That said I simply don't see the need to view PDF's within a browser but each to his/her own.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Oleg

The only extension I'm using is:
»[FireFox] Adblock Plus 2.23 for Firefox released
I have submit crash reports disabled. As some have noted with this build of FF, it's a bit buggy.
I only use three ABP subs, that is probably the cause.
I'll take application hangs over malvertizing.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Oleg

As noted: »Re: [FireFox] Firefox 19.0 Final
I've disabled the native FF PDF viewer to default.
IMO, the more in-Browser widgets you allow, the more likely your're going to see issues.
Granted Moz wanted to make this a convenience for users.
It now seems to be causing more issues than it's worth running.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
reply to siljaline

It also could be an AV causing the freezing or crashing. What filter sets for ABP are you using. If you do not mind me asking?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to siljaline

If PDF (Portable Document Format) had simply remained a mechanism to view/print documents across platforms I doubt we'd have all these issues. That said Adobe had to (to sell updates) add more bells'n'whistles to it making it a hackers paradise.

Most of the time I simply view/search/print sections of PDF's. I love manuals in PDF format since they're searchable and more durable (know where your Microwave manual is?).
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

I used to have [many feet of] shelves of paper manuals [mostly] in binders. Then I had a few essential manuals--with notes and Post-Its--and a small pack of CDs (with PDFs but mostly with Book Manager docs). Then the CDs were replaced by online PDFs (all of which could be downloaded if one wanted). I hardly ever touch paper manuals now. Meh... time marches on.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I think I'm one of the few that does this but before buying any product (especially electronic) I download and view the PDF manual for it first. You can learn a lot from that without getting out of your seat.

(FYI my next step is to search for and read online reviews).
--

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Oleg

Not a problem.
»easylist.adblockplus.org/en/
Easy List | Easy Privacy & Fanboy.

A/V = ESET

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to Racerbob

Anyone having a problem with Bing since the update?

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

said by Madtown:

Anyone having a problem with Bing since the update?

No, but Google twice made me fill out a Capchka to make sure I was human. Never done that before, ever. I hate those things. They are almost unreadable, to humans.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to siljaline

Well i have ran out of suggestions on how to solve the issue, but i would recommend to get rid of Fanboy filter set, because it is too aggressive.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Fanboy might be too aggressive but it works, I'll take the odd application hang over malvertising any day

I've disable hardware acceleration since why should a browser make demands of your GPU

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

You can try creating a new profile, and see if it would fix the issue.

ninn

join:2008-01-26
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Racerbob

gmail checker won't login to gmail at startup
it did till ver 18.0.2
have to login again in gmail account in ver 19.0
anyone has this problem
thanks
--
Intel P4 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Win XP Pro (sp3), IE8, FireFox 18.0.2 Symantec Antivirus, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware pro 1.70.0.11000

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Oleg

If I need to run FF under alternate profiles to make it work under some situations that only means one thing, the purposes unto which I require Moz are exhausted.

I would sooner run IE and see some ads, in Facebook and other places.

The Moz Devs read this board often enough, they will get the hint this release is hindered in many ways.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Or you could stop using an extension not fully compatible with the latest release of the browser until it is updated to be more fully compatible? ...and, of course, how many days before the point-release of Fx19.0.1 "fixes everything it broke"? (and breaks something else, no doubt)

--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to Racerbob

Looks like Firefox 19.0.1 is coming soon »tknowmore.blogspot.com/2013/01/m···oad.html

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

I definitely would not click on those links at that site and download anything. Granted, a 19.0.1 version will be out. Mozilla always comes out with a .1 and sometimes a .2 version of final releases, but there is no evidence right now of a 19.0.1 build at their ftp site, but I may have missed it.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to NotTheMama

I'm good to go and await the next less buggy release.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 recommendation

I'm not sure they ever do get less buggy.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

Some less than others This build would be a stand-out on the buggy side.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to ninn

said by ninn:

gmail checker won't login to gmail at startup
it did till ver 18.0.2
have to login again in gmail account in ver 19.0
anyone has this problem
thanks

try Gmail Watcher - apparently working fine.
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···watcher/

ninn

join:2008-01-26

said by chachazz:

try Gmail Watcher - apparently working fine.
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···watcher/

thanks much chachazz
it only support up to 3 gmail accounts
can't use this too bad
--
Intel P4 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Win XP Pro (sp3), IE8, FireFox 18.0.2 Symantec Antivirus, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware pro 1.70.0.11000

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 edit

Something else you can do: use one of your existing Gmail accounts or create a new one, forward all incoming messages from the other accounts to it, and just check that one for new messages; use something like QuickPasswords for login to the desired account for replies or (less desirable) use Gmail's "send as" feature. You can use Firefox Portable or Private Browsing mode to keep the account checking separate from "regular" access.

Oh, yeah... there's also Postbox -- esp. better for Gmail accounts (actually makes better [correct] default settings for Gmail accounts than Tb does--less checking & unchecking of preferences in Account Settings/Options when setting up).
--

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
reply to Racerbob

Firefox 19.0.1 has appeared in the ftp site, but not in the releases directory yet. So it will be coming out soon.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

said by Racerbob:

Firefox 19.0.1 has appeared in the ftp site, but not in the releases directory yet. So it will be coming out soon.

Cool thanks man

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

Firefox 19.0.1 has appeared in the ftp site

For Windows 8+AMD Radeon specific crashes.
(ftp is not a release site - the file can be changed at any moment).

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY

I fully realize your concern about getting stuff from the ftp site, but Mozilla's behavior is predictable. First the new build(s) appear in the Candidates directory and then it is moved to the Releases directory and within a day or so it appears on the http site. It also seems to me that they would not make their ftp site so accessible if they did not want people to use it ? Either way, I was giving folks the heads up that yes, 19.0.1 is on it's way. I predict that by tomorrow all of the software download sites will be telling us that 19.0.1 is available and I will not see Mozilla stopping them from letting us know.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

You can download it now from this URL »download.mozilla.org/?product=fi···ng=en-US

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

I fully realize your concern .....

Far more interesting is the reason for a rather quick update...
quote:
For Windows 8+AMD Radeon specific crashes.