spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aingaran

join:2002-01-24
Scarborough, ON

Is this cable modem compatible with Teksavvy?

Is this modem compatible with Teksavvy cable in Quebec?

THOMPSON DCM476

STAC 02.50
SOFTWARE MODEL a81a
BOOTLOADER 2.3.1

This is a modem purchased from Canada Computers in Montreal (ie not attached to any account nor is it from a delinquent account).

anynomous

join:2003-06-25
montreal

i don't think it will work on videotron's network
dcm475 works but need a diferent firmware

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON
reply to aingaran

You need STAC.02.16. firmware to be approved. I suggest you contact Teddy Boom . He can flash the firmware on this modem for you . The modem is a D3 and will work AFAIK . But it won't be approved or supported with that firmware ..

aingaran

join:2002-01-24
Scarborough, ON
reply to aingaran

I'm a Teksavvy customer in Toronto. The modem is in Montreal (my cousin's house). They're trying to use the modem with Teksavvy.

Is there anyone locally in MTL that flashes firmware?

Crowbar1

Toronto , ON

said by aingaran:

The modem is in Montreal (my cousin's house). They're trying to use the modem with Teksavvy.

Is there anyone locally in MTL that flashes firmware?

In that case contact M LORD , He's closer ....

Crowbar1

Toronto , ON

»/profile/1410402

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

3 edits
reply to aingaran

said by aingaran:

Is this modem compatible with Teksavvy cable in Quebec?

THOMPSON DCM476

That modem is not on the "approved list" for Teksavvy in Quebec, regardless of firmware. Perfectly fine for use in Ontario, though.

In Quebec, the Approved modems for Teksavvy are SB6120, SB6180, DPC2505, and DCM475.. but not the DCM476. We could put the approved DCM-475 firmware (55.04) into it (the firmware will work just fine, dunno about the modem though), but it could result in support headaches in the future.

Your best bet is to swap it for a DCM-475, either at Canada Computers, or with some other person who wants blue LEDs on their modem.

phreshive

join:2013-02-20
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac

While we are on the topic of Videotron, was wondering mlord if the information I received from TSI upon signup this past Saturday for a March 11th transfer from Videotron was accurate:

I purchased a Motorola SB6180 (Software Version: SB6180-3.2.1.0-GA-00-252-NOSH) on eBay and provided the MACID and Serial to the agent.

I asked if Videotron required any specific firmware version and was told that in Quebec, unlike Ontario cable providers, no specific version is required. Is that accurate? If not, is the version that is loaded on my modem compatible/"good"?

Thank you

videonerd

join:2007-01-21

There's really two different questions to ask:

1. Will the modem work on Videotron (yes/no)
2. Will Videotron support the modem and firmware if you need tech support (yes/no)

Because if you have any issues, you're calling Teksavvy, who then calls Videotron. If they're like Rogers, they'll throw the ticket back at Teksavvy once they see you're not using an "approved" device and you'll never get anywhere even if the issue is clearly theirs.

Try calling Bell tech support and "admit" you're using a third-party router instead of the built-in one. You'll have better luck getting into Fort Knox.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to phreshive

said by phreshive:

While we are on the topic of Videotron ... is the version that is loaded on my modem compatible/"good"?

No idea, sorry.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to phreshive

I'm arranging to trade a SB6121 with a Quebec Teksavvy user, and I do still have a couple more SB6180s, which are not compatible in Ontario. I'm happy to keep exchanging until I'm out of Quebec only modems

said by phreshive:

I asked if Videotron required any specific firmware version and was told that in Quebec, unlike Ontario cable providers, no specific version is required. Is that accurate?

I'd sure like to confirm that myself. I have basically no knowledge of Videotron and what works or what is required.
--
electronicsguru.ca

anynomous

join:2003-06-25
montreal
reply to phreshive

about a year ago i remember people complaining about connections drop when using sb6180 on videotron network, i don't know if the problem has been fix since