Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Power over ethernet? Only for business users?

I notice that a lot of IP phones currently sold on the used market don't have any AC adapters and was wondering if this is an issue for home users? Can we just power it off the router? A Cisco model I was looking at appeared to need a 48volt AC adapter which is very odd which means its impossible to scrounge up. Most phones use 9 volts or 12 volts at 300-500ma. Do most IP phones require a very different voltage? I have a box of AC adapters I want to put to some use!

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

If you somehow end up with an IP phone that requires PoE but you don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a PoE switch, you can use PoE Injectors instead.

NCIX has plenty: »www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=···injector
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit

dsl2u

CANADA

The first link looks like it includes an AC adapter. The other 2 don't. How could I use an injector without a power adapter? It requires 48 volts....not exactly something you happen to have lying around the house!

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL

I think the first link is only a power adapter. You would need the adapter and an injector.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

Guys... why looking at used when a brand new one is only $17?

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit

»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-48V-Power-o···83861752 has both power supply and injector. It comes from Hong Kong. $11.39 including shipping, but it might take a 2 or 3 weeks.

»www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-48V-W···06137612 »www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-48V-P···44197305 are shipped from NC.

Lots of choices.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to dsl2u

You will either have to purchase an AC adapter designed to work with the phone, or use an 802.3af POE injector or POE switch to power the phone. You have to watch out for the Cisco phones, especially the older ones, because they will not work will all POE switches and injectors.

»www.amazon.com/Sewell-Injector-I···=802.3af

»www.amazon.com/Alfa-IEEE802-3af-···injector

»www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-8-Port-1···injector

»www.ebay.com/itm/PowerDsine-3001···c49bdbbb

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
reply to dsl2u

If the IP phones are to be used in a business environment then the power supply is an unwarranted added cost. In some cases you will find that there are different part numbers for the phone with or without AC adapter. As phone prices have fallen the trend is to not include the AC adapter so that the sell price is lower.

Also, POE capable switches are not that much money anymore. In small sites I use the little 8 port Netgear switch that can provide 4 port os 801.af POE. It's around $100. It allows the phone to be powered from the UPS at the wiring location, which is great for up-time through a loss of power.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net

said by mgraves1:

As phone prices have fallen the trend is to not include the AC adapter so that the sell price is lower.

This is true, but the opposite happened to me.

I bought a SNOM 300 from a major supplier and the wording strongly implied that the AC adapter was not included but had to be ordered as a separate item.

When the shipment arrived I was the proud owner of (2) adapters.

Sorry I don't remember the supplier but it was one of the major ones....

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to dsl2u

i just buy phones that come with adapters.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

Sometimes, the power requirements aren't even consistent. For example, Polycom IP 33X phones can use 48V from the Ethernet, but the AC adapter only puts out 24V.

I just bought a couple of IP 335 phones with missing power supplies, but the seller had a couple of Cisco SG200 08P PoE Gigabit Smart switches available, so I grabbed these also. As hoped for, the switches will power the phones just fine.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to dsl2u

I have both these at home, they have Gigabit network ports and works great:

»support.netgear.com/product/GS108PEv2

»www.frys.com/product/6684784?sit···_RSLT_PG

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit
reply to zephxiii

> i just buy phones that come with adapters.

Which phones tend to come with AC adapters?
That might be best for nuubies like me. It seems rather complicated with different systems. One guy selling a Nortel phone just told me its only compatible with Nortel telephone systems, whatever that means which was discouraging because a lot of the used Nortels seem to come with AC adapters.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to billaustin

> You have to watch out for the Cisco phones, especially the older ones, because they will not work will all POE switches and injectors.

Do you remember the models that aren't so compatible? I notice a lot of 7900 series phones on the used market.

dsl2u

CANADA
reply to Trev

> Guys... why looking at used when a brand new one is only $17?

You mean an injector and power supply or the phone itself?

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

He means just the injector, which itself will plug into power and has two network ports- one which goes back to the switch, the other which carries power+data and will connect/power the phone.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to dsl2u

I saw this with some Cisco 7960 phones a couple weeks ago. The client tried to use some Netgear 8-port POE switches, but the phones would not power up (the Polycom phones would). One of the support guys told me there is a 'legacy' setting they have to enable in the Adtran POE switches we normally use to get the Cisco phones to power up.

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
reply to dsl2u

said by dsl2u:

> i just buy phones that come with adapters.

Which phones tend to come with AC adapters?
That might be best for nuubies like me. It seems rather complicated with different systems. One guy selling a Nortel phone just told me its only compatible with Nortel telephone systems, whatever that means which was discouraging because a lot of the used Nortels seem to come with AC adapters.

You just have to read the details of the item for sale.

»www.ebay.com/itm/Polycom-Soundpo···:US:3160

Ebay Item #: 230880888151

comes with the AC Adapter and ethernet injector cable for example. Check out that guy's store as he has a lot of stuff, great seller too.

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
reply to dsl2u

Also someone posted a link to a 56 dollar PoE switch which is a great way to go if your phones will have a straight run to it. You could throw an UPS unit onto that switch to keep a float the phones during a power outage. ....Of course you will also have to keep all other network/internet critical components a float as well.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit
reply to zephxiii

Yes I hope so since his price is 2-3 times what some of the other ones go for! I think for about 10 bucks I can solve power supply issues. Now I just have to be careful about compatibility.

Now just think that if someone in the industry had some vision they'd standardize all this stuff and probably half the country would have VOIP in the home. 150 million users is far more than the business community. But instead its about as confusing as can be so the average VOIP user just gives up and gets ripped off with substandard and overpriced services like Vonage and others. Meanwhile 150 million people waste money on POTS services. If more people were sharper of course it would be almost the entire population of home phone users. (I realize a lot of younger people are cell only of course.)

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to billaustin

said by billaustin:

I saw this with some Cisco 7960 phones a couple weeks ago. The client tried to use some Netgear 8-port POE switches, but the phones would not power up (the Polycom phones would). One of the support guys told me there is a 'legacy' setting they have to enable in the Adtran POE switches we normally use to get the Cisco phones to power up.

The original Cisco IP phones (7940/60) used an "almost" POE standard -- but when 802.3af was actually released they found they weren't compatible. Those phones have been EOL for several years.

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
reply to dsl2u

You get what u pay for. Those 501's are probably the cheapest of the "nice" phones (though older). Everything else is much higher in price.

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

said by billaustin:

The original Cisco IP phones (7940/60) used an "almost" POE standard -- but when 802.3af was actually released they found they weren't compatible. Those phones have been EOL for several years.

I've been thinking about picking up a 7940/60 to play with on Asterisk.....though i'll have to mess with locating and installing SIP firmware for it which will be a new adventure.

microsemi

@bhn.net
reply to dsl2u

google a microsemi PD 3501G/AC, PoE midspan/injector will power it.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
reply to zephxiii

said by zephxiii:

comes with the AC Adapter and ethernet injector cable for example. Check out that guy's store as he has a lot of stuff, great seller too.

Maybe, but the Polycom Soundpoint IP501 is kind of a special case. It's old enough that it doesn't use 802.11af standard P.O.E. That's why it comes with the goofy injector cable. You can't power it from a standard POE-capable switch. Without that cable you're in trouble.

I had one around here somewhere.....

Michael
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN

said by mgraves1:

said by zephxiii:

Maybe, but the Polycom Soundpoint IP501 is kind of a special case. It's old enough that it doesn't use 802.11af standard P.O.E. That's why it comes with the goofy injector cable. You can't power it from a standard POE-capable switch. Without that cable you're in trouble.

I had one around here somewhere.....

Michael

Yeah, i'm just sayin' that's not a bad bundle for the price! (knowing it come with power as well).