All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?

Just wondering anyone who is leasing a SB6141 have the stock August 2011 firmware? Or is it just purchased modems? Level 3 support told me everybody has the same firmware.
Earthlinky
join:2013-02-15
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

Does it even matter?

Time Warner stinks and I wouldn't use anything past Standard speeds with them. Service quality is abysmal. We should be trying to get FIOS in, which is what I have been doing, but have yet to hear back.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359 to tonyram57

to tonyram57
The non-retail black SB6141's have a firmware from August 18 and the white retail SB6141's have a firmware from August 30th, but both have the exact same hardware revision even. But these are customer owned ones though, but I bet the leased ones run one of these firmwares as well.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to tonyram57

MVM

to tonyram57
Click for full size
I have one of the black SB6141 (my own device) on TWC.

Attached is a screen shot of the firmware info

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Thanks that is what I have August 18th. I have the non-retail version from Amazon that came in a brown box.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57
Tier 3 is generally clueless on firmware issues. Most of the ones I have talked to think that customers can update their own firmware, which is obviously not true and anyone who has spent 5 minutes researching cable modem firmware would know this.

My retail packaged SB6141 is on firmware 1.0.6.8, so clearly not everyone has the same firmware.

The official policy is that TWC doesn't push firmware updates to customer owned modems (actually, they don't even update their own modems very often). I doubt this will be the policy forever... one day, there will be a firmware bug serious enough to demand an update push to everyone. I have seen some very serious bugs listed in leaked firmware release notes. Until they get bit by one, don't count on any updates.

I have never seen a leased SB6141 modem. In fact, I have seen only one plain non-gateway type (bridge) DOCSIS 3 modem leased from TWC. It was a Cisco DPC3000 series used for a business class PRI that was run over DOCSIS instead of fiber (the cable modem was connected to a Cisco gateway device that provided the PRI interface - can't remember the model, but anyone familar with TWC's business class PRI service knows what I'm taking about).

glr0605
@rr.com

glr0605

Anon

Even weirder is when they downgrade a modem... my DDW3611 had a newer firmware revision pushed to it starting in November or so, with IPv6 support and 8 channel downstream support... but oddly, they downgraded it back a couple of nights ago...

JohnnyG101
Mafiaoso
Premium Member
join:2000-12-25
Charlotte, NC

JohnnyG101 to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57
I got the same Aug 11 fw...

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57
They use firemare thats been tested and proven on their system, its normal. Unless there is serious flaw fixed or new feature that they will want added in new firmware dont hold ur breath for tw to roll out updated firmwares for modems.

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to j1349705

to j1349705
said by j1349705:

Tier 3 is generally clueless on firmware issues. Most of the ones I have talked to think that customers can update their own firmware, which is obviously not true and anyone who has spent 5 minutes researching cable modem firmware would know this.

My retail packaged SB6141 is on firmware 1.0.6.8, so clearly not everyone has the same firmware.

The official policy is that TWC doesn't push firmware updates to customer owned modems (actually, they don't even update their own modems very often). I doubt this will be the policy forever... one day, there will be a firmware bug serious enough to demand an update push to everyone. I have seen some very serious bugs listed in leaked firmware release notes. Until they get bit by one, don't count on any updates.

I have never seen a leased SB6141 modem. In fact, I have seen only one plain non-gateway type (bridge) DOCSIS 3 modem leased from TWC. It was a Cisco DPC3000 series used for a business class PRI that was run over DOCSIS instead of fiber (the cable modem was connected to a Cisco gateway device that provided the PRI interface - can't remember the model, but anyone familar with TWC's business class PRI service knows what I'm taking about).

You are right about Level 3 they told me to contact Motorola to get the firmware update.

So you are saying the retail packaged white version has firmware 1.0.6.8? If that is true then I should have bought that instead of the brown boxed one from Amazon which only has firmware 1.0.12. That sucks if it is true.

j1349705
Premium Member
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705

Premium Member

said by tonyram57:

So you are saying the retail packaged white version has firmware 1.0.6.8? If that is true then I should have bought that instead of the brown boxed one from Amazon which only has firmware 1.0.12. That sucks if it is true.

My retail packaged white SB6141 did come with 1.0.6.8... I actually checked before attaching it to the TWC network for the first time.

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

said by j1349705 See Profile
My retail packaged white SB6141 did come with 1.0.6.8... I actually checked before attaching it to the TWC network for the first time.

You said it did come with 1.0.6.8. Did TWC downgrade it back to 1.0.12?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by tonyram57:

As far as I know it can't be downgraded to 1.0.12, which I don't think actually exists. I think minimum for it was 1.0.6.1 per Motorola for that modem. Komodo releases or newer basically.

You're probably seeing BOOT version which isn't the firmware version.

TWC has been updating all the 61xx (6120, 6121, 6141, 6180, etc.) modems that can take it to at least 1.0.6.3 from what I've seen.

Can you post a screenshot of your modem firmware screen?

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Here you go.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Your firmware is 1.0.6.3

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Thanks.

j1349705
Premium Member
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

said by j1349705 See Profile

Still on the same release it shipped with - it hasn't been downgraded to 1.0.6.3.

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Darn it. I knew I should have bought the white retail one then.
tonyram57

tonyram57 to kilrathi

to kilrathi
said by kilrathi:

They use firemare thats been tested and proven on their system, its normal. Unless there is serious flaw fixed or new feature that they will want added in new firmware dont hold ur breath for tw to roll out updated firmwares for modems.

It is good they thoroughly test the firmware as people would be ticked if they automatically got buggy firmware however I still don't see how they can't at least update it to 1.0.6.8 since some stock modems have that firmware already.
tonyram57

tonyram57 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Your firmware is 1.0.6.3

Since I am now stuck with that firmware is there any major problems with it? So far the modem is working great and even my standard Internet is faster.
tonyram57

tonyram57

Also I got the black model because everything I have is black. PC speakers, router and switch. White looks out of place.
ltm320
join:2002-02-24
Milwaukee, WI

ltm320 to tonyram57

to tonyram57
There is a Aug 2012 firmware for the SB6141, as referenced in another thread on this forum.

I'm about to throw in the towel on my SB6141. Back in December, I had a SB5100 that worked flawlessly. I bought a SB6141 to escape the rental fee. Big mistake.

The SB6141 reboots itself about 3-5x per day.

TWC was out and replaced all the coax from the pole to my house. Same problem. So I bought another new SB6141, knowing TWC was going to say "it's the modem" .. guess what. Same problem.

So it's not the coax, not the modem. It COULD be the firmware, which they refuse to update. I've spoken to about 5 different techs, all of them say it'll never happen. (And I tell each one of them, that's fine, but TWC will need to endure lots of customer calls about the SB6141 until the firmware is updated, which is rumored to help the rebooting problem.

Not sure where to go from here. I'll eBay the two SB6141s and buy something else. Maybe it's DOCSIS 3 that TWC has problems with, maybe I'll go back to what was solid before, the old SB5100.

Really pisses me off.

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

I read the white retail one has the August 2012 firmware. Which one do you have the black or the white retail?
ltm320
join:2002-02-24
Milwaukee, WI

ltm320

I have the black one.

The RR techs are coming out on Tuesday, but I have little hope. My belief is that the infrastructure around my block is just not good enough for DOCSIS 3 to keep a solid connection.

I'll give it a few days after the techs come out, then probably buy the venerable SB5101. That thing was solid.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

said by ltm320:

I have the black one.

The RR techs are coming out on Tuesday, but I have little hope. My belief is that the infrastructure around my block is just not good enough for DOCSIS 3 to keep a solid connection.

I'll give it a few days after the techs come out, then probably buy the venerable SB5101. That thing was solid.

Did your area have a lot of cable plant replaced, and TWC took awhile to get Docsis 3 there? That is how it was in my area we just got Extreme on 11-30-12 and it snowed very heavily 3 days ago and we had 3-4 disconnects during that day, with two different modems the SB6141 and 5341J. TWC is also coming out Tuesday for me as well.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to tonyram57

to tonyram57
Out of curiosity, what are you hoping to get with different firmware? What does the white 6141 have that the black one doesn't?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The retail version has a newer firmware version. That may or may not make any difference for individuals with problem connections. I have the TWC issued 6141 with the original firmware.

UKEE
join:2012-05-14
Lexington, KY

UKEE to motoracer

to motoracer
said by motoracer:

Out of curiosity, what are you hoping to get with different firmware? What does the white 6141 have that the black one doesn't?

The newer firmwares, which TWC won't push, don't reboot the modem upon multiple T4 faults. It supposedly drops the channel in question and then tries to pick it up again without a reboot.

Many of the black (eBay) modems are at 1.0.6.3 whereas the newest firmwares available are 1.0.6.10 (IIRC).

1.0.6.3 (August 2011)
1.0.6.10 (latest - December 2012 IIRC).
RySean
join:2013-02-18
San Diego, CA

RySean

Yeah, the newest is 1.0.6.10 as confirmed to me by Time Warner Online Support. However, as you said, they refuse to update the modems, and multiple reps I have spoken to over the phone have stated that TWC does not push firmware to modems, which begs the question: how the hell does anyone get new firmware?
Earthlinky
join:2013-02-15
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

File a lawsuit in court forcing Time Warner cable to update the firmwares. The incompatibility is because they want to force people to use their own modems.

Send a Certified letter to Time Warner Cable and the franchising authority on the modem firmware issue as well.

We need a law firm willing to take on this case against Time Warner Cable.

Please file complaints to the Local Franchising agency like NYC DOITT and also lets see if we can retain an attorney to take on this case.

I agree, this is a common issue unfortunately and it should not be this way.