how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to tommygunsste

Re: Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?

I too will reset the configuration and modem for any firmware update to make sure it clears any junk left over.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57
I still say chances of that update to my 6141 here in nyc are slim to none, and I bet on none.

bryan85

join:2011-06-30
San Antonio, TX
reply to tonyram57
I gave up on the 6141. I've had my fair share of T4 reboots. Ordered a Zoom 5341J and my modem never reboots anymore. Seems like this may be a TI chipset issue and not just Motorola. The Zoom is Broadcom based.

tommygunsste

join:2013-04-30
Crown Point, NY
Though I understand the frustration, you made a purchase, then made another purchase. I'm glad the issue got corrected from you, but I certainly hope TWC cares more about maintaining it's customers by providing a fix for all.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to bryan85
said by bryan85:

I gave up on the 6141. I've had my fair share of T4 reboots. Ordered a Zoom 5341J and my modem never reboots anymore. Seems like this may be a TI chipset issue and not just Motorola. The Zoom is Broadcom based.

I was going to get that modem because it was smaller and the lights were not so bright but then I read on here how it disconnects you for about 30 seconds every 24 hours when it does a IP release. I then decided on the white SB6141 because it came with v1.0.6.8.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to satyenshah
said by satyenshah:

Good news! In March I complained to our state AG about TWC not updating my SB6141 (black, retail, FW 1.0.6.3).

I just received a call from a TWC technical rep in response to the complaint. He said TWC received a firmware update package from Motorola yesterday (2013-05-01) and would be pushing it out to me today.

Wow, I'm embarrassed for you.

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium
join:2002-05-03
Ocean Springs, MS
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·CableOne

1 edit
Just a FYI, I don't think the new firmware will fix the T4 timeout issues as you guys seem to think. I too have an SB6141 on Cable One's network. It constantly goes offline due to T4 timeout issues and this is the firmware my modem currently has.

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: 8781228010001
Firmware Build Time: Oct 29 2012 18:07:13

As you can see, its the 1.0.6.10 firmware from Oct. 29 2012 and it has not fixed the issue.

I've had a tech come out to my house multiple times. They've replaced every single line from the pole straight to the cable plugging directly into my modem, plus all the ends/connectors and splitters between.

At this point, I'm ready to go with a different modem other than Motorola. They've been good to me for years, but this is simply unacceptable.
--
www.tdnclan.com

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
Your right. Last month my modem rebooted because of a T4 timeout but that was over 25 days ago. The problems are all on TWC lines when they start messing around with the connection at there end no modem you can use will fix it. I went through that headache late last year till the beginning of this year with seven modems. Two which I own a SB5101U and the white retail SB6141 which I am currently using.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
All these years of Road Runner and I have never had a modem "reboot" itself for any reason. When my modems, over 12 years now, lose connection, I have to unplug the modem, unplug two routers and then wait at least three minutes, then plug in the modem, reboot the computers as the modem synchs, then when the modem is fully synched (which takes forever with a DOCSIS 3 modem) then I plugin the bridged Sam Knows router and then my own router. If I don't do all these steps in this order, I do not get back online. Since I NEVER reboot or shut down and have tons of stuff open all the time...it is shit to have to do all this.

The 6141 has shit for logs....damn shame as the Surfboard had been known to have the best logs from 2001 when I got my first Surfboard...but they are horrible now and you can tell very little from them.

It's shit getting knocked offline even ONCE a week...since we went to 6 bonded channels down (from 4) a few weeks ago, I have been knocked offline about once a day...AWFUL because of the rigamarole I have to go through each time to get back on line and heaven forbid I drop one of the wires I have unplugged behind the shelf on the desk where all the equipment sits.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

kw0
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6
reply to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

I was going to get that modem because it was smaller and the lights were not so bright but then I read on here how it disconnects you for about 30 seconds every 24 hours when it does a IP release. I then decided on the white SB6141 because it came with v1.0.6.8.

The SB6141 probably got downgraded. I bought a white one at Best Buy and it came with v1.0.6.8 and it was fine for two days, and then got downgraded.

I still get the occasional disconnect for no reason, but it only happens late at night so it doesn't bother me.

satyenshah

join:2013-05-02
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to satyenshah
TWC did successfully update my black, retail SB6141 which was previously running 1.0.6.3. The modem now shows:

Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH
Firmware Build Time: Mar 12 2013 17:48:19

The rep also mentioned that TWC had stopped providing the leased SB6141 to Extreme/Ultimate subscribers because of reboots, and they hoped this update would solve that problem.

satyenshah

join:2013-05-02
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to motoracer
said by motoracer:

Wow, I'm embarrassed for you.

Sorry you feel that way, but this is how your government "works". Unlike cable TV, the FCC is hands-off when it comes to broadband. Depending on the state you live in, ISP are overseen by either your state IT department, state communications department, or by your county or local government. In North Carolina, every complaint gets taken through the state AG.

Sure, it's bizarre that the same the same agency investigating bloody murder also handles complaints about the speed of your Internet. But a single submission of the correct complaint form takes a lot less time than just reading through this forum thread, not to mention the time it takes to call tech support and schedule truck rollouts to solve a problem that you know needs to be fixed a specific way.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57
I will keep you all updated when and if my firmware gets updates or downgraded. At least you all asked my original question that retail SB6141 do get firmware updates.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

The 6141 has .... for logs....shame as the Surfboard had been known to have the best logs from 2001 when I got my first Surfboard...but they are horrible now and you can tell very little from them.

I agree I actually seen log entries disapear when they update and no not the older ones but the recent ones. Also the clock is a hour off and it is 24 hour which I hate because when I look at it I have to figure out the time. Just show AM & PM but that is another story.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Surfboard Clock has always been off by 10 to 11 hours here in Hawaii. Clock time uses Greenwich mean time so that is -10 hours HST and -11 hours HST during daylight savings which we do not have. Talk about a hassle when figuring out the time at which some incident was recorded in the log! Plus, the 6141 records EVERY incident, at the beginning, as 1970 and very frequently never gets the correct Greenwich time so then you really have no idea when the log entry actually occurred. Earlier Surfboard versions did not have the "1970" entry very often but the 6141 has them very frequently.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
said by Mele20:

Talk about a hassle when figuring out the time at which some incident was recorded in the log!

Yes very complicated

»wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/current-time/
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I'm supposed to always have a tab open (and be able to locate it quickly among upwards of 75 tabs) to greenwichmeantime.com? I just subtract in my head but when this involves a lot of entries , A DIFFERENT DATE/DAY FREQUENTLY, and I have to remember if it is daylight savings at Greenwich mean time or not and that is not the same dates as US mainland daylight savings...well, geez...

Plus, it is in 24 hour format which I detest as do most Americans (especially older ones who grew up using AM and PM 12 hour format and for whom another change just for change's sake gets tiring to always remember, for instance, that 4PM is supposed to be 1600 hour instead). But with my logs showing "Jan 1 1970" for most entries, I suppose it is all moot.
--

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

It must be very complicated for you. I am sorry.

Hob

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
Wow and I thought I was the only one to detest the 24 hour time too. When I search about it on Google I end up finding pages of people defending it. I remember I got rid of my iPod dock radio because it only had 24 hour time and I got confused thinking it was 11:00 PM when it said 22:00 which is 10:00 PM. Now I got rid of that dock and use a Logitech Bluetooth speaker with a 12 hour RCA clock which also keeps much better time. Also I noticed that it is used on this forum. Is there any way to change it? It is annoying looking at the time and figuring out. I am changing the subject here.

As for modems the SB5101U also had problems with the logs too as did the RCA425. I even had modems that did not even have logs. I really just ignore them when things are working fine anyway.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
"But with my logs showing "Jan 1 1970" for most entries, I suppose it is all moot."

When a modem reboots it needs to connect to the Time of Day Server to pick up the current time. Any logs with Jan 1 1970 were created before that connection was made.

Hope this helps.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quantrel
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Port Jervis, NY
reply to tonyram57
I fully agree with the guy who contacted the AG to get service.
For what the ISPs are charging you have to hold them accountable or suffer poor service.

Pir8pete

join:2003-09-05
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to DrDrew
do you have a copy of SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH with it's release notes?

Hmm...how bad is this disconnect issue. Do you suggest NOT switching to the 6141 until the problem has been ironed out?

twcohiosucks

join:2013-06-02
reply to tonyram57
Can someone please post a comparison of firmware versions between a customer owned S6141 and leased SB6141 that are both in the same area? Preferably in the same municipality?

kw0
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6
said by twcohiosucks:

Can someone please post a comparison of firmware versions between a customer owned S6141 and leased SB6141 that are both in the same area? Preferably in the same municipality?

they both get the same firmware

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to tonyram57
From my 6141 (recent purchase from Amazon):

Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Serial Number: 348781225721831408010001
Firmware Build Time: Aug 18 2011 10:27:53

No issues to speak of, once everything was configured correctly on both my end and theirs.

boe_d

join:2003-10-12
Los Angeles, CA
I pretty much have the same details on my modem I got from Amazon as well. Only issue is I went from 26mbit down to about 3 mbit down - not great.

Trying to get tech support to assist.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to tonyram57
I now have the latest firmware:

Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH

Nice!
--

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by Mele20:

I now have the latest firmware:

Did you have to ask for it or was it pushed to you?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I didn't ask. I check the "help" tab maybe once a week but look at my upstream power level daily for the last month or so because it is really high much of the time. But it has been stable and at a better level for two days now...wonder if the firmware upgrade could affect that or if it is just a coincidence?

So, I think I got it in the past week to past two weeks as I don't recall the exact time I checked before yesterday when I saw it. My logs only go back to June 9 and I can't see it in the logs which is puzzling since I had no trouble seeing the one other firmware update a couple of years ago (but that was on a Cisco CMTS and those logs were much easier to read than these new ones on Arris).

It says "Firmware Build Time: Mar 12 2013 17:48:19" but I know for certain I did not get this until about a week to maybe two weeks ago. I would suspect this was pushed after the Big Island got the upgrade to 15mbps for Standard which was slightly over two weeks ago.
--