Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to DrDrew

Re: Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?

Thanks for clearing that up. So I could have stuck with the black modem then but at least I get a 1 year warranty for the white retail one.

Also remember TWC never actually said on there website or officially that they won't push firmware updates to owned modems. Just rumors all around say they do.

Anyway I hope to stay with 1.0.6.8. If TWC downgrades me to 1.0.6.3 I won't be happy but then I hope that they will upgrade me to 1.0.6.10 as I did hear that they are testing it.

Still would like to know if that person had the white retail modem or the black modem as some black not retail modems have 1.0.6.8 on them.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
I got a black one, (F/W 1.0.6.3) that came in the brown box, but it was shrink-wrapped and had a Motorola Warranty card in the box. So, I guess the versions are all over the place.

TWnofirmware

@insightbb.com
Meanwhile, Comcast just went to 1.0.6.10. For those interested, here is what it fixed:

»Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57
wth they get these nice firmware updates and even changelog while time warner wont even hint at anythign like that

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to DrDrew
In the western New York area (Buffalo, Amherst, Orchard Park, CHEEKTOWAGA, etc.), the SB6120s have SB612X-1.0.3.5-SCM00-NOSH

BTW...thanks again for figuring out why my modem wouldn't come online back then.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

Exxeter
Premium
join:2013-03-25
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit
reply to tonyram57
I think I have an answer to the question whether TWC would downgrade firmware. Two days ago, I activated an SB6141 (white). Its firmware was 1.0.6.8.

This morning I found this in the log.

Mar 27 2013 07:53:20 6-Notice Cable Modem Reboot from Software upgrade ;CM-MAC=###########;CMTS-MAC=0############;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Mar 27 2013 07:53:19 6-Notice E111.0 SW download Successful - Via NMS
Mar 27 2013 07:50:52 6-Notice E101.0 SW Download INIT - Via NMS

Now, I see this.

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.

If I had proof that the original firmware was the later version and that they had downgraded it, I would be tempted to have my attorney deal with it, but I suspect it wouldn't have the desired result.

EDIT: After spending an exasperating half hour on the phone with two levels of tech support at TWC, I'm no closer to an answer. They swore categorically that TWC does not downgrade firmware and tried to blame it on Motorola, implying the modem phoned home and got the wrong version. I am disgusted.
--
Exxeter

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57
Keep me updated if you get intermediate connection problems and reboots with the POS 1.0.6.3 downgrade that they have the nerve to push to purchased modems.

I am still on 1.0.6.8 for 19 days now with the only minor problem being a bit slow upload but not the 0.01 upload crap. If and when they downgrade me and them I have problems I will call Level 3 support and give them a peace of my mind.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

said by tonyram57:

Keep me updated if you get intermediate connection problems and reboots with the POS 1.0.6.3 downgrade that they have the nerve to push to purchased modems.

If it was a POS then it would not be the tested and verified version they are using on these modems to work with the cable plant. FWIW, I have had this modem with this version of software since April of 2012 without any issues at all.

It would seem that fixing the T4 issues that the modem is having would be the solution. Those errors should not happen.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
You might be right. When I had problems with my connection which got really bad at the end of summer last year I swapped modems like crazy Ubee, RCA and Motorola which all had different firmwares. It is fine now because TWC in my area stopped with the IMPROVEMENTS.

Still I could have stuck with the black SB6141 if I did not believe that guy who posted on Amazon saying the black modems were used. I really did not have many problems except slow uploads briefly which is a staple with TWC. At least the white retail modem has a one year warranty.

djc6

join:2007-11-28
Cleveland, OH
reply to tonyram57
I asked Tier 3 about this, and they told me the issue isn't that they don't update customer firmware, its that they don't really upgrade firmware period unless is a big problem affecting lots of customers.

He said they update firmware on the MTAs frequently (the modems with VOIP), router/gateway models "once in a while" and vanilla modems like the SB6141 rarely.

Could the issue simply be they take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to firmware and they don't consider the SB6141 broke? I was also told they have very few of them (less than 5%) available for lease and aren't ordering any more. They are using the SBG6580 everywhere, at least here in Northeast Ohio. I had a SBG6580 but it kept losing its bridge mode settings which meant I had to call in all the time to have those settings reset.

They located a time warner store with ten SB6141s about ~80 miles from me, not sure if I should take a 3 hour round trip to snag one for lease or just buy one outright. But I need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to get the faster speed tiers which I want.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
The SBG6580 is JUNK, I think, and it has the router disabled and you cannot enable it. I returned it the next day. I have two routers and the last thing I needed was another router in bridge mode and that is how that modem is set up. The 6141 that I got can run circles around around that gateway junk modem. Plus, no jumping through hoops like with the SBG6580 to get to it web page.

The 6141 is NOT broke. It doesn't need a firmware update. Mine has the original Aug 2011 firmware and it works fine. Yes, TWC is generally the last cable modem company of any size world wide to update firmware on ANY modem of any brand. I know because I had to force corporate (not my local Oceanic TWC) to upgrade the firmware in all divisions on the Surfboard 4100 years ago. They were using the original firmware which had a GIGANTIC SECURITY HOLE if you relied on the Pause button. Comcast and all other cable ISPs in the USA and worldwide (when I did my research) had long ago upgraded the firmware and here was TWC sitting on the original firmware when Motorola had issued 12 firmware versions since the original. I think it was ver 6 that fixed the security hole and that had been issued a COUPLE OF YEARS earlier yet TWC had not flashed it until I forced the issue.

So, don't expect TWC to flash firmware updates unless backed into a corner or because an update specifically serves their purposes. But as for the 6141, it works ok on the original firmware and I am not aware of any major security problems with that firmware version.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

signmastr

join:2004-06-21
Fallbrook, CA
Got a firmware update last night in S.D. Calif.
SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH

UKEE

join:2012-05-14
Lexington, KY
said by signmastr:

Wow, first I have seen of that version (anywhere). What modem (SB6141?) ?

Anyone else on TW seen this yet?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
said by UKEE:

said by signmastr:

Wow, first I have seen of that version (anywhere)...

It was released by Moto mid-March.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to signmastr
said by signmastr:

Great. Lets hope I get it pushed to me and not the downgrade.
Does the activity light still keep blinking even when there is no activity with the newest firmware?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit
said by tonyram57:

Does the activity light still keep blinking even when there is no activity with the newest firmware?

Yes because there is still activity on the coax that your modem is processing and passing through to the ethernet/wireless/USB side.

That behavior gets turned on early in the life of Moto modem models and has been SOP for more than 13 years. 2100, 3100, 4100, 4200, 5100, 6120, 6140, 6180, 6580 series modems and eMTAs are all configured to behave the same once the the first few firmware updates have been released. Most modems from the other makers do the same as well.

You'll it rare that a modem doesn't have an activity light that shows constant activity.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

said by UKEE:

said by signmastr:

Wow, first I have seen of that version (anywhere)...

It was released by Moto mid-March.

Is there any notes about what it addresses? I am surprised they pushed such a recent version. One I dont think even Comcast uses yet.
--

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
What I am saying is that the activity light blinks every second without any network activity. Meaning if you are downloading a file the light should blink very rapid but is still just blinks at the same every second pace.

All my other modems would blink at different intervals and not just a constant blinking. It is annoying which is why I had to move the modem to the bottom of my desk. I don't mind blinking lights I actually prefer them something my Netgear router does not do however I want them to blink when there is actual activity and not just blink for the sake of blinking.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to swintec
Click for full size
said by swintec:

Is there any notes about what it addresses? I am surprised they pushed such a recent version. One I dont think even Comcast uses yet.

here ya go

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

What I am saying is that the activity light blinks every second without any network activity. Meaning if you are downloading a file the light should blink very rapid but is still just blinks at the same every second pace.

But there is network activity, may not be on your local network but it is on the cable network.

Years ago, my 5100 would blink now and then and also blink faster if I was maxing out my line versus just running a small stream of data. I notice with my 6141 that the light does not blink fast or slow depending on traffic. It will blink at the same pace regardless.
--

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

said by swintec:

here ya go

Interesting thanks. I wonder if this will get rolled out nationally and to modems that do not have bonding beyond 4 channels yet.
--

Wow

@insightbb.com
reply to signmastr
said by signmastr:

ooooohhh.....shiny!

That must be the most up to date firmware as it is the first I've read of that revision. Are you sure you're on TW?

signmastr

join:2004-06-21
Fallbrook, CA
Yup. Own the modem (SB6141) too...

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57
Doubt we ever get firmware update on these in nyc tw....keep dreaming.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
said by kilrathi:

Doubt we ever get firmware update on these in nyc tw....keep dreaming.

As long as I don't get downgraded to that POS 1.0.6.3 then I will be happy.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57
Yea I got downgraded to it on my own 6141 while back and I believe it will stay that way forever.

UKEE

join:2012-05-14
Lexington, KY
Nobody else? Wondering if S.D., CA is a test market for the new firmware?

Tymanthius

join:2013-04-25
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to excelx
said by excelx:

don't use splitters or signal booster with this modem, it messes up your signal badly! it will drop your signal if you have it hooked up to a line with a splitter or sharing tv/cable box line.

You're right about the booster, but unless you only have ONE cable device in your home, there is ALWAYS a splitter. And often there are splitters even if there is just the one device.

pinhead3641

join:2004-05-24
Placentia, CA
reply to tonyram57
I installed a brand-new non-leased 6141 on my line yesterday. It shipped with 1.0.6.8 and last night it was "updated" to 1.0.6.3.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
Still got 1.0.6.8 on my white retail modem. I will keep you updated when they downgrade it.