how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LatinTek

join:2004-06-03
Fresh Meadows, NY

Question: Recommend U+U/V+V/V+U Dual Band HT

I got my ticket back in 1996 and I only got on the air for a few weeks. Been a LONG time... so it's like I'm a new HAM. Anyway... I have a Standard C528 that I haven't used since then. Good radio... but I'm looking for a new HT that works the same way on 2m and 70cm. I'd also like to get some recommendations for home setup. (Home Power, Antenna... etc) or maybe setup the Standard for home until I get a mobile rig to use as a base station. (Yaesu FT8900R looks good)

Well, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tek...

Phillip
I Need A Nap

join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA

For the price, it would make for a good cheep starter HT.

»www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/4133.html

»www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5547.html

LatinTek

Fresh Meadows, NY

How about this one:
»www.409shop.com/409shop_product.···d=108709

Though I like the Yaesu FT60R. Just wish it could monitor the other band.

Phillip
I Need A Nap

join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA
reply to LatinTek

Same company of make that posted, but 20$ cheaper, and a newer model.

People that have them seem to like them for the price.

LatinTek

Fresh Meadows, NY

1 edit

Ok, looks like this is the latest version. UV5RA+PLUS. The price is excellent but is the build quality and overall radio any good??

The Yaesu FT60R looks good. It just doesn't have monitoring of the other band.

Alan Brown

join:2013-02-21
mexico
reply to LatinTek

I have been very pleased with the performance of my Wouxun HTs. The KG-UVD1P is an excellent unit and can be had for about $120 shipped including software and a programming cable. I have a pair of 2/70 units and a pair of 2/220 units and an extra 2/70 (my wife is a ham too).

I have used them with the included flexible antennas, with an adapter and a car-mounted antenna, and with adapter and base antenna. I get consistently good signal reports for a clear, readable signal. With the car mount antenna and optimal conditions, I got into the repeater from just under 40 miles away on 5 watts.

These units are sold by a variety of dealers. I've had really good service and good prices from Main Trading Company who say they're the largest volume Wouxun dealer in the U.S. I even found a refurb unit at their site for $79 shipped and bought it. It has functioned flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

Alan WN5Q

LatinTek

Fresh Meadows, NY

Ok... going back and forth on the Baofeng UV-5R versions. Is the 5RA+ or the BAOFENG UV5RE-PLUS-UU the newest in the group?I like the way the 5RE+ looks plus the high capacity battery. I also would like to know if anyone knows how fast does the desktop charger charge a battery? Include the 3800mAh battery charge time too please.

The pricing from www.409shop.com is pretty good with free shipping. You do have to wait around 5-14 buisness days depending but that isn't so bad at that price. I have order my sons Takara Tomy Beyblades from a selling in HK before. Had it take 14 days. It wasn't horrible. LOL

Coolguy2

@optonline.net
reply to LatinTek

Latintek-- suppose I want to listen to another service on this radio. Can it be programmed to receive only or can it be programmed with a very wide duplex so I cannot accidently transmit on the service channel.

LatinTek

Fresh Meadows, NY

Hi Coolguy2. I'm sorry but I don't even have this HT so I have no real first hand clue about any of the functions. You can try the Yahoo group here: »groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r/ They members there might be able to help you out there. I will say this. I do believe if you have the programming software it will allow you to do that but I'm not 100%

said by Coolguy2 :

Latintek-- suppose I want to listen to another service on this radio. Can it be programmed to receive only or can it be programmed with a very wide duplex so I cannot accidently transmit on the service channel.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Coolguy2

The UV-5R can be programmed to receive only on non-amateur frequencies. Frequencies are entered via a computer and programming software. When programming out-of-band frequencies, just leave the transmit frequency for the memory channel in question blank.

cOOLguy

join:2009-09-10
Torrington, CT

Thanks!

By the way, the 5R 5RA and 5RAPLUS are on amazon for 41, 42, and 49 dollars free delivery or 2 day with prime plus worry free guarantee