Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Optimus2357

Re: Whole Home DVR...worth $75.00??

Unless there are very new drivers that I am not aware of, Intel HD 2000/3000/4000 Graphics (GPUs) cannot display Cox's Copy Protected H.264 Plus Pak channels using Windows Media Center.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime
TiVo Elite & Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.124, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FA

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
I think new drivers were released in December to correct just that issue, but please correct me if I am wrong.

»downloadmirror.intel.com/22401/e···otes.pdf

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to dvd536
said by dvd536:

said by Rob_:

Why was I quoted a $75.00 for their Whole Home DVR? This doesn't make cents. I can install it myself. How hard is it to plug in a box?

Is there a different install for this?

75.00 seems a bit much. and am not getting it for the lack of HD channels they have available on their premium plus plan.

whole home dvr is a double dip. they put many channels you already pay for above 860mhz so you have to pay twice to get the hd versions of channels you already pay for.

nobody really does free hd.

Sick beard does HD, and it's free.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
And how exactly are you getting that "free" content to put into Sick beard? Anything is free if you steal it.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to djdanska
said by djdanska:

said by dvd536:

said by Rob_:

I heard a TIVO you can get a remote (UHF) control and plug it in to the bedroom's set and allow guests to watch whatever via a cable card and I can ditch this crappy 8240 box. In HD. TIVO won't tune in analog tv however, Cox does the digital simulcasting so that shouldn't be the problem.

forget TIVO crapola. out the door its more expensive. you still have the cablecard and digital gateway[now known as advanced tv, basically its money for nothing]

my cox dvr doesn't record infomercials unlike that tivo garbage.

Cox gave me both the cablecard and tuning adapter (and NO digital gateway) for just $2 per month and it has yet to record infomercials. Not sure where that came from. I don't have any advanced tv box or anything.

I just pay $35 a month (that includes the cable cards) and get the only channels I need (all in HD too) on my TiVo. I'm phasing those out though. Sick beard doesn't record any commercials at all, so no need for fast forward or skip buttons.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

And how exactly are you getting that "free" content to put into Sick beard? Anything is free if you steal it.

Well, I've been paying for channels that I don't even watch for years. I've even been paying out the nose for ESPN for years even though I don't even watch it.

The way I see it, I'm just getting my money's worth. The content industry is way overdue for a good kick in the ass, so I'm giving them one.

Thanks to the laws they push for, I can't legally watch the content I already paid for on my own DVR. Also thanks to them, I can't unlock my own cell phone that I own and paid for. Screw them, and screw cox for their CCI flag, I hope they all diaf.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

1 edit
I think this has gotten off topic and beyond scope. Just saying its not usually wise to post such things on a public, moderated, forum.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

I think new drivers were released in December to correct just that issue, but please correct me if I am wrong.

»downloadmirror.intel.com/22401/e···otes.pdf

I am running those drivers and they did not fix the issue for me. Anyone else?

Product Detected - Intel Processor Graphics 3000
Current Driver Installed - 9.17.10.2932

Driver Package version 15.28.12.64.2932 (9.17.10.2932) for Windows 7
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime
TiVo Elite & Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.124, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FA

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Well the release notes seem to state that issue is corrected, but I don't have any of the hardware yet to test. I was still in the planning phase of my build. So I will take your word on it. So there is no driver different between the Intel 3000 and the Intel 4000?

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Which particular fix listed are you referring to in the Release Notes?

Mine is a 2nd Generation Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge with Intel HD Graphics 3000. The drivers are the same for 3rd Gen however.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
I was refering to two seperate items, but your right, its not clear.

"Resolved issue where video output is missing content when transcoding certain video files"

"Fixed protected content playback issues for new Windows 8 Store video players like Netflix*."

Is the issue that the drivers ignore the copy-protection flags while processing H.264? Also, most markets still use MPEG-2 right?

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
I am not sure what the issue is exactly, there is Audio but no Video.
Error Message:
"Display driver error" and "does not support playback of protected content"

No, I believe every market is now H.264 (MPEG4-Part 10) for the Plus Pak.

Most any other Graphics card works fine. Even past Intel mobile graphics, like my old laptop work.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
I am just going by what google tells me, so take it with a grain of salt but:

»www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt···7#p83737

"Also, if you are using embedded graphics of Intel CPU, you can't watch these channels if they are copy protected. Intel graphics drivers do not support copy-protection and H.264 at the same time."

And looking at the next post

"Surprisingly, my new windows 8 laptop with hd4000 ( i7-3517U )-plays the protected h.264 content from cox just fine... windows 7 on the same machine using the latest drivers from intel does not and usually results in a blank (black)..."

So I think the fix ""Fixed protected content playback issues for new Windows 8 Store video players like Netflix*." fixed the issue, but only for Windows 8. However the data is not clear. Would need a dual boot with Windows 7 and 8, same hardware, to really isolate. If nothing else though, its a pretty good hypothesis.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

... a public, Cox moderated, Forum.

Just so there's no confusion, I'd move a comma. This is a public forum. It's also moderated. It's a Cox forum, in terms of topics. It is not, however, moderated by Cox.

said by Optimus2357:

I think this has gotten off topic and beyond scope.

Agreed.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Perhaps moderated was the wrong word. And to be clear I wasn't debating the moral implications, I was trying to give a friendly warning. If nothing else, its good to throw some CYA in any posts about such matters.

Anyway, were you saying the conversation between BryanInPHX and I was off topic? If so, i will stop, but I was finding it interesting.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
No, I thought the "How do you get movies for free?" direction it was headed (briefly) was a bad direction. Those things never end well.

All is well.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

I think this has gotten off topic and beyond scope. Just saying its not usually wise to post such things on a public, moderated, forum.

Not sure how much you go to the different places on dslreports, but they have an entire section dedicated to this very thing:

»Filesharing Software

Not only do they talk about it, but there are even direct references to how it is done and even the best service providers for it.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Then feel free to post there. I just don't want the topic to get off track as we debate file sharing. If you feel its something you want to talk about, if nothing else, open a new topic. This topic was about DVR and and the alternatives that fall within Cox ToS.

Come to think of it though, I guess the whole thread has gotten off topic so..I will just continue my conversation through PM.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
The point is, I'm not looking for a computer, just a box I can put on the TV, put the HDMI in for high def and run a cable card - judging by the replies I'm going to say nothing like that exists. If I can save the $9.00 a month and still maintain the so called TV channels (Style, O2 and others) that would be great. TIVO costs just as much as a DVR, looked into that.

I heard of a thing called BOXX, but that distributes the signal around the house. Comcast offers a simple CISCO box, but it doesn't do high def.

-Rob

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
No, they exsist, several actually. Broken up into two types, those with cable cards, and those without. Ones with cable cards offer more channels, but usually cost more. Your not going to find many/any with HDMI in and have a storage device. Thats because HDMI is protected by HDCP and usually won't allow recording. On that note, this is just general info, as I am not sure what the rules are for recording content. I personally have my DCX3400 and love it.

Some common PVR's with cable card are Tivo and Moxi. They range anywhere from 300-700$ I believe. Tivo has a subscription service while Moxi does not(right?). Moxi was also bought out by Arris but you can still find their units on Amazon.

Some common PVR without cable cards are Hauppauge and Avermedia. They range from 150-200$ and differ greatly in capability and available inputs, so watch out. They require a video source though, so you would still need to have some kind of cable box from Cox, just not a DVR.

As for "Boxx" I think you may be thinking of "Boxee" which started as a Dlink product, but moved on to what your probably thinking of
»www.boxee.tv/#home

I looked around though, and it hasn't gotten very good reviews. Seems the firmware is very buggy. On top of that, you have to pay 10-15$ for the Cloud storage "Unlimited DVR" feature, so that makes it kind of pointless as a DVR alternative.

I think a example of the kind of thing your looking for may be
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···15100097

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
Ohh this looks cool, will this replace the cable box?

-Rob

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Not really. You would still need to rent a HD box for the component output needed for that PVR I linked. Unless, does anyone know of legit retail equipment with a ATSC digital QAM tuner via coaxial in to component out? I looked and couldn't see any. In a pinch you could just use a VCR then use a composite to component adapter, but that's messy and step down in picture quality.

I think a HD cable box and AVerMedia PVR is a good bet because your still getting the guide and OnDemand. Then your saving at-least 10$ a month on the DVR service. That would pay for itself in 1.5 years, and it would give the added plus of having control of the drive, size and data. Does mean a second failure point in your setup though and a moderate learning curve. Also you wouldn't get the guide/PVR integration like a DVR does.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

Then feel free to post there. I just don't want the topic to get off track as we debate file sharing. If you feel its something you want to talk about, if nothing else, open a new topic. This topic was about DVR and and the alternatives that fall within Cox ToS.

Come to think of it though, I guess the whole thread has gotten off topic so..I will just continue my conversation through PM.

I see it on the subject of DVR's due to Cox's policies that deliberately punish people who use third party DVR's. I wouldn't have a hostile attitude about cox in general if they didn't have such a hostile attitude towards cablecard users.

Unfortunately they're the only game in town so it's either grab your ankles or put on a rubber; Cox doesn't allow a middle ground here unlike the majority of other cable providers, and unlike most cable subscribers I'm not going to grab my ankles so that pretty much narrows it down.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
said by Rakeesh:

said by Optimus2357:

I see it on the subject of DVR's due to Cox's policies that deliberately punish people who use third party DVR's. I wouldn't have a hostile attitude about cox in general if they didn't have such a hostile attitude towards cablecard users.

Unfortunately they're the only game in town so it's either grab your ankles or put on a rubber; Cox doesn't allow a middle ground here unlike the majority of other cable providers, and unlike most cable subscribers I'm not going to grab my ankles so that pretty much narrows it down.

The only thing use can't get with a third party dvr is ondemand. if your area uses SDV and your third party hardware can support the tuning adapter.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
said by ajwees41:

The only thing use can't get with a third party dvr is ondemand. if your area uses SDV and your third party hardware can support the tuning adapter.

I don't use or need either of those. What I'm talking about is e.g. tivo's MRV or TTG, or for example using an XBMC based DVR. All prohibited on third party DVR's, even though they support these features just fine.

Meanwhile, cox's in house DVR's that support these functions are allowed to use them. But of course, you have to pay out the nose for that. XBMC not only has no monthly fee, but its featureset puts cox's DVR to a rather pitiful shame.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
I use all the tivo's features fine on Cox omaha.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
reply to Rob_
Yeah it depends on your region. Here in Arizona, everyone at cox likes to be cox.