share rss forum feed

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
reply to Optimus2357

Re: Whole Home DVR...worth $75.00??

Ohh this looks cool, will this replace the cable box?

-Rob

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Not really. You would still need to rent a HD box for the component output needed for that PVR I linked. Unless, does anyone know of legit retail equipment with a ATSC digital QAM tuner via coaxial in to component out? I looked and couldn't see any. In a pinch you could just use a VCR then use a composite to component adapter, but that's messy and step down in picture quality.

I think a HD cable box and AVerMedia PVR is a good bet because your still getting the guide and OnDemand. Then your saving at-least 10$ a month on the DVR service. That would pay for itself in 1.5 years, and it would give the added plus of having control of the drive, size and data. Does mean a second failure point in your setup though and a moderate learning curve. Also you wouldn't get the guide/PVR integration like a DVR does.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to Optimus2357

said by Optimus2357:

Then feel free to post there. I just don't want the topic to get off track as we debate file sharing. If you feel its something you want to talk about, if nothing else, open a new topic. This topic was about DVR and and the alternatives that fall within Cox ToS.

Come to think of it though, I guess the whole thread has gotten off topic so..I will just continue my conversation through PM.

I see it on the subject of DVR's due to Cox's policies that deliberately punish people who use third party DVR's. I wouldn't have a hostile attitude about cox in general if they didn't have such a hostile attitude towards cablecard users.

Unfortunately they're the only game in town so it's either grab your ankles or put on a rubber; Cox doesn't allow a middle ground here unlike the majority of other cable providers, and unlike most cable subscribers I'm not going to grab my ankles so that pretty much narrows it down.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

said by Rakeesh:

said by Optimus2357:

Then feel free to post there. I just don't want the topic to get off track as we debate file sharing. If you feel its something you want to talk about, if nothing else, open a new topic. This topic was about DVR and and the alternatives that fall within Cox ToS.

Come to think of it though, I guess the whole thread has gotten off topic so..I will just continue my conversation through PM.

I see it on the subject of DVR's due to Cox's policies that deliberately punish people who use third party DVR's. I wouldn't have a hostile attitude about cox in general if they didn't have such a hostile attitude towards cablecard users.

Unfortunately they're the only game in town so it's either grab your ankles or put on a rubber; Cox doesn't allow a middle ground here unlike the majority of other cable providers, and unlike most cable subscribers I'm not going to grab my ankles so that pretty much narrows it down.

The only thing use can't get with a third party dvr is ondemand. if your area uses SDV and your third party hardware can support the tuning adapter.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

said by ajwees41:

The only thing use can't get with a third party dvr is ondemand. if your area uses SDV and your third party hardware can support the tuning adapter.

I don't use or need either of those. What I'm talking about is e.g. tivo's MRV or TTG, or for example using an XBMC based DVR. All prohibited on third party DVR's, even though they support these features just fine.

Meanwhile, cox's in house DVR's that support these functions are allowed to use them. But of course, you have to pay out the nose for that. XBMC not only has no monthly fee, but its featureset puts cox's DVR to a rather pitiful shame.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

I use all the tivo's features fine on Cox omaha.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
reply to Rob_

Yeah it depends on your region. Here in Arizona, everyone at cox likes to be cox.