spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek to Shivek

Anon

to Shivek

Re: Buying a new video card (advise needed)

Ended up getting the GTX 560 1 GB OC'ed to 560 Ti speeds for $110 with a year of warranty still left. Good deal?

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

said by Shivek :

Ended up getting the GTX 560 1 GB OC'ed to 560 Ti speeds for $110 with a year of warranty still left. Good deal?

Eh. The 560, even at 560 Ti speeds, is a gimped card. It is worse than the 6870 and 5870 for sure.

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek

Anon

HD 6870 was costing me $140 (warranty was over too) plus I read several benchmarks and comparisons and loads of other stuff. It proved that the HD 6870 and the GTX 560 are fairly similar. HD 6870 is only like slightly better. Plus I was aching for an NVIDIA card due to the PhysX features. Here's a benchmark comparing the GTX 560 (stock speed) and HD 6870... you will see how similar those 2 cards actually are:

»www.anandtech.com/bench/ ··· 0?vs=543

Gordo74
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Shivek

Premium Member

to Shivek
From what I see, it's about a 10% increase, and PhysX does nothing for games nowadays. A gimmick at best.

But if you're happy with it, good call

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek

Anon

Actually, I just realized it's the 560 Ti OC. BTW, PhysX might be a gimmick but it does add some nice effects to the games that support it.
Shivek

Shivek

Anon

Someone is offering me his perfectly new unopened HD 6950 2 GB for a direct swap for my GTX 560 Ti. The guy hates ATI and its driver nonsense but I couldn't care less about the driver issues. Take it or leave it?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The cards are practically identical, with the 6950 edging out on paper (and twice as much VRAM is a big bonus). »www.hwcompare.com/8888/g ··· 950-2gb/

I like where AMD is sitting right now. Keep in mind I have wavered across the aisle and have gone from a Radeon 4870, to a GTX 460, to a GTX 570, to a GTX 580, to a Radeon 7970.

I have no problem with "driver issues" right now--but YMMV (the auto-downclocking issues during the AMD 5000 series are past). My GTX 580 froze up all the time on DX11 stuff, but the 7970 has been flawless. Again, and I cannot stress this enough--YMMV.

tl;dr the cards are identical, take his 6950 and enjoy twice as much vram.

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek

Anon

Thanks for the reply. I'll swap it out since the 6950 is brand new. I'll definitely miss PhysX though! Love the cool effects it adds to certain games.
Shivek

Shivek to Shivek

Anon

to Shivek
There's another twist in the saga, guys. Another guy with a SPARKLE GTX 570 1.28 GB (newly bought as well) is offering me a swap with 560 Ti, but I need to pay him an extra $20 as part of the deal.

I'm stuck in a dilemma. Help me out guys. Should I go for the HIS HD 6950 2 GB or the SPARKLE GTX 570 1.28 GB. Please help me make this decision within a day, guys. Thanks again!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Shivek

Premium Member

to Shivek
said by Shivek :

Thanks for the reply. I'll swap it out since the 6950 is brand new. I'll definitely miss PhysX though! Love the cool effects it adds to certain games.

I honestly did not notice not having PhysX...

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek to Shivek

Anon

to Shivek
HIS HD 6950 2 GB vs. SPARKLE GTX 570 1.25 GB? What's the better card in terms of gaming performance and which vendor is better? Are HIS and SPARKLE (never heard before) good vendors? Thanks.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Shivek

to Shivek
You can see here

»www.tomshardware.com/rev ··· 7-7.html

that Tom's puts the 570 in a higher performance tier than the 6950.

I have never heard of HIS. I have at least heard of Sparkle.

I assume you're hung up on that 2GB vs 1.25GB thing and I wouldn't be if I were you.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Shivek

Premium Member

to Shivek
Go for the 570.

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek to Shivek

Anon

to Shivek

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll get the Sparkle GTX 570 tomorrow for $20, lol. I'll let you guys know how it performs. Here's a pic of how the card looks. Let's hope it fits in my case!
Shivek

Shivek

Anon

Ended up getting the Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5 GB for $20.

Couldn't be happier. Runs all games on high settings.

Gordo74
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

said by Shivek :

Ended up getting the Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5 GB for $20.

Couldn't be happier. Runs all games on high settings.

How did you end up with that?

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek

Anon

A guy needed to get rid of it as he just bought GTX 680 and turns out he knew I was looking for a new card as I had posted a "Buying used nvidia card, etc." He contacted me and we struck a deal. The card still has a year left on warranty. It was a steal to say the least and this card has made me splash the cash and go for a new system altogether.

Any advice guys? I'm thinking of getting i3 3220 and a good LGA 1155 motherboard. Then in the future I can upgrade to i7. What do you guys think? Is i3 better than my current E8400?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Shivek

Premium Member

to Shivek
Who the hell sells a used 580 for only $20.00?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Shivek

Premium Member

to Shivek
said by Shivek :

Any advice guys? I'm thinking of getting i3 3220 and a good LGA 1155 motherboard. Then in the future I can upgrade to i7. What do you guys think? Is i3 better than my current E8400?

With the 580, just go for a quad-core and eliminate any CPU bottleneck present under the dual core i3. Any i5 will work--3450, 3550, 3570, or 3570K.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Who the hell sells a used 580 for only $20.00?

That's gotta be a typo or a buddy price.

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek

Anon

Nope, not a typo. The guy is a buddy of mine. It was a coincidence that I was buying and he was selling at the same time, but his selling price was $150. I told him since we're friends, I'll give him my GTX 560 Ti plus $20 for GTX 580. He took the deal.

The card is a beast though. I maxed Far Cry 3 (1920x1080) at 40-50 FPS with my botteneck of an E8400, lol.
Shivek

Shivek to Krisnatharok

Anon

to Krisnatharok
Alright, I'll get the i5 3330. Any suggestions for a cheap and reliable socket 1155 Gigabyte or Asus motherboard? Thanks.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Pstt, you have a thread on that already: »Q9300 from E6600 worth the jump?

Shivek
@asianet.co.th

Shivek

Anon

Finally finished buying everything for my new PC. Initially, I was going to buy one at the end of this year, but due to the suggestions of people here I got it now. Here's the specs:

ZALMAN Z11 Plus Case
Intel i5-3450 (3.10 GHz)
Gigabyte Z77-HD3 LGA1155
Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5 GB (Windforce 3X)
8 GB (4x2) Kingston Hyper-X Genesis DDR3 (1600 MHz) RAM
Raidmax 600W PSU

Special thanks to Krisnatharok and Gordo74 for help in assembling the aforementioned parts.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Very nice! Make sure to post some pics after you're finished!