« 15/5So... »
This is a sub-selection from Value?

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to praetoralpha

to praetoralpha

Re: Value?

I'd point more to a crappy CDN than I would a last mile connection when it comes to the stability of YouTube's streaming capabilities (or the lack thereof), especially with 720p and 1080p content.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

I don't think the 50/25 will fix the YouTube issue. I am having issues with lag on Youtube vids within Xbox Live. It is a joke. Video plays for 5 secs then for almost a minute, spinning (what is that, discs?). And Xbox Live changed channels (Comedy is gone) in YouTube so you have to have You Tube account and customize. Eff that.
CDN (folks running traceroutes on ATT Uverse, and rogers, and Comcast are showing drops somewhere down the line...).

Call me conspiracy theorist but I wouldn't put it past "carriers" that have "content" to throttle You tube somehow (or so many are watching YouTube that "it" needs serious bump in delivery ...

"Ya broke me pipes!"
JBT
Premium Member
join:2002-12-06
Odessa, FL

JBT

Premium Member

Agreed its not a bandwidth issue from your ISP. Its either carriers throttling or YouTube with load issues.
TechnoGeek
join:2013-01-07

TechnoGeek to cableties

to cableties
Have you tried upping the quality you are watching in? When I had those issues (TW, 10/1) sometimes it actually helped to watch in 720p instead of 360p. Makes no sense, but whatever (may have been a firefox issue with saving tabs, which I also fixed recently, or that weird OpenDNS-youtube path issue).

Yeah, it's infuriating to have that much speed and still be unable to watch youtube normally.

Dr Demento
I Vant Blud
join:2002-01-02
Denville, NJ

Dr Demento to cableties

to cableties

said by cableties See ProfileCall me conspiracy theorist but I wouldn't put it past "carriers" that have "content" to throttle You tube somehow (or so many are watching YouTube that "it" needs serious bump in delivery ...

"Ya broke me pipes!"

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, more like a case of major incompetence when it comes to the way VZ handles their DNS. It is comically sad when a mobile connection can buffer quicker. Many are starting to agree that for optimal use you have to register for an alternative such as OpenDNS or you can just plug right up to Google's public DNS without an account.

silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

DNS has nothing to do with how a video buffers.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
said by cableties:

Call me conspiracy theorist but I wouldn't put it past "carriers" that have "content" to throttle You tube somehow (or so many are watching YouTube that "it" needs serious bump in delivery ...

"Ya broke me pipes!"

I think the YouTube problem is BECAUSE so many now have access to 25Mbps +++ connections that aggregate total bandwidth can at time overwhelm the CDN's gateway AND servers at times of high demand.
It's not throttling, it's demand exceeding available resources...an exoflood if you like that term

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

DNS has nothing to do with how a video buffers.

Indeed. Don't get me wrong: I'll plug OpenDNS and Google DNS (or even Level3, though those technically aren't public...) over Comcast's DNS servers all day and night. Still, they have absolutely nothing to do with the situation right now.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Yeah, it's peering and bandwidth. I have the same issue on Comcast.

floyd007
join:2004-06-07
Glen Allen, VA

floyd007 to JBT

to JBT
it is YouTube. I know people that use FIOS, Comcast and they all have latency issues
« 15/5So... »
This is a sub-selection from Value?