spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

slidebite

[DSL] Geolocation puts me about 900 KMs away

I was going to post this in direct, but though I would go here to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I am a new Teksavvy DSL customer that moved over from Telus. So far, I am happy with my speeds. Something I noticed though is that my IP Geolocates to Vancouver/Lower mainland for speedtest.net and news websites when I am actually in southern Alberta.

When I do speedtests, my speeds are fine but my ping does seem to travel a bit more than before. With my old Telus service, I used to get anywhere from 5-40ms pings, now the best I get is about 45 and usually 90-120ms. I have done power cycling of the modem/router and PCs a few times.

Ideas?

Anaron
join:2005-01-28
North York, ON

Anaron

I don't think it's a big deal. I used to get Chatham instead of Toronto so what I'd do on speedtest.net is manually choose a server. Eventually, I got an IP address that showed up as Toronto.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Consider it a blessing.
Anonymity and inaccurate locations is good.

PlatooN
join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

PlatooN

unless he's a canucks fan and trying to watch games on gamecenterlive ...

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to slidebite

to slidebite
You have to specify what you're pinging. "Ping" is something that happens between two nodes, so (for example) I can ping TSI's ERX in about 6ms, but tfl.gov.uk is 103ms away. I would suggest posting a report from your traceroute utility of choice to see if there any routing anomalies affecting you (or anything strange like that).

On the geolocation issue, there's really nothing to worry about and nothing you can do to change it. Heck, the IP on my 3G connection geolocates to random Canadian cities all the time but it doesn't ever affect me.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
join:2012-07-26
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT to slidebite

Premium Member

to slidebite
The reason it shows it this way is because all Teksavvy connections on Telus are back hauled to Vancouver on Telus' network to reach Teksavvy's POP. I get about a 30ms ping to ERX01, so it is a bit of a longer trip then on Telus but well worth it. Once they get a POP in Calgary (Hopefully sometime in the future) then this will be reduced and the IP Geo location info will be more accurate.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to slidebite

Mod

to slidebite
Geolocation relies on the ISP defining its IP pool allocations with locations in the IP address allocation databases. If it doesn't it's assumed to be the business office of the company. So, depending on the IP that I'm currently assigned, I can be in Kanata ON, or Ottawa ON, or Toronto ON, or Chatham ON.

Geolocation is only ever a guide.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Consider it a blessing.
Anonymity and inaccurate locations is good.

x2.....Consider yourself one of the lucky ones OP.
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

slidebite

Thanks for the answers folks

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to slidebite

to slidebite
I got stuck a on 192.0.x.x address for a few months and geolocation put me in the Yukon somewhere lol. It didn't affect latency or speed at all, since routing is done logically vs topologically. Just made speed tests a bit of a hassle since I had to move back to SW Ontario.
KnockKnock
join:2010-12-06
Chatham, ON

KnockKnock

said by TypeS:

I got stuck a on 192.0.x.x address for a few months and geolocation put me in the Yukon somewhere lol. It didn't affect latency or speed at all, since routing is done logically vs topologically. Just made speed tests a bit of a hassle since I had to move back to SW Ontario.

This is what I have going on right now. Gets to be a nuisance sometimes, but not really a big deal.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to slidebite

to slidebite
Geolocation has become like a game for me. Sometimes I show up in Vancouver, sometimes in Alberta. When installing a new OS the installer sometimes guesses I'm in Rainy River, ON.

All that has nothing to do with the routing though, and my best speedtests (latency and throughput) are usually to a handful of servers in the Vancouver and Seattle area.

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones to slidebite

to slidebite
Kijiji always thinks I'm in Chatham when I'm really in Toronto.