uniqs
share rss forum feed

v35_pilot
Whoops, there goes another AMU
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Fayetteville, NY

What the heck, it's only money

A 25/25 customer now, I am going to bite on this promo. Brings my bill up to $74/month.

Let's see what sites/services will actually benefit from this increased speed now. Can't help but think it is like having a Lamborghini in Manhattan traffic.

v35_pilot
Premium
Fayetteville, NY

Speedtest
Despite the site telling me it would take a day to upgrade, they had the speed upgrade in place about 30 minutes after the order was placed.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to v35_pilot

said by v35_pilot:

Let's see what sites/services will actually benefit from this increased speed now. Can't help but think it is like having a Lamborghini in Manhattan traffic.

That's more or less why they can offer 50mbps for not that much more...most people can't/won't utilize the extra speed. As in your case, there isn't much that you legitimately need 50mbps for that 25mbps doesn't provide. Yes you might get you are downloading twice as fast if the sender has the bandwidth. And then what? The connection already sits near idle browsing the web. Streaming 1080p content won't max out 25mbps. Large software downloads complete faster...but how often do you really need that? Even P2P or other file sharing can max out the pipe but it's not really needed...a 2 hour BD can be downloaded almost as fast as it can be watched.

v35_pilot
Premium
Fayetteville, NY

said by cdru:

That's more or less why they can offer 50mbps for not that much more...most people can't/won't utilize the extra speed. As in your case, there isn't much that you legitimately need 50mbps for that 25mbps doesn't provide.

Agreed - I do have three very active Internet users (older children) at home so at any given time I don't necessarily have to worry about bandwidth constraints any more, but in general how much of this pipe will go unused? I will take note of that.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by v35_pilot:

but in general how much of this pipe will go unused?

It depends on what exactly you're doing.

Loading pretty much any non-streaming webpage almost all your bandwidth goes unused. Say you have a ridiculously heavy news article that is 10MB fully downloaded and it takes you 3 minutes to read the article. With a 25mbits connection, it takes approximately 4 seconds to download full speed. 4/180 seconds = .022 or 2.2% utilization during that 3 minutes. Streaming a high quality netflix stream is around 5Mbps. So 5/25 = 20% utilization.

Downloading a large system update or a game is just going to depend on the size of the file and if the sending server can saturate the line. I might be able to get 1-2MBps (that's megabytes) for a large service pack from Microsoft, so if you got similar you'd still have 1/3 your connection unused during that download.

SpeedDemon

@verizon.net
reply to v35_pilot

said by v35_pilot:

Despite the site telling me it would take a day to upgrade, they had the speed upgrade in place about 30 minutes after the order was placed.

Upgrade done in 5 mins. Yeah baby!

SpeedDemon

@verizon.net
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

That's more or less why they can offer 50mbps for not that much more...most people can't/won't utilize the extra speed.

I went from 15/5 to 50/25 so the speed bump was substantial. I have two network connected TVs running Netflix. I just downloaded a 3Gig ISO (MSDN) in about 10 mins whereas it would have taken at least 30 mins previously.

Do I need the bandwidth now? No, but historically, my bandwidth consumption has always increased. I went from dialup to DSL to cable, then fiber. Each time, there was always an application that *required* the extra bandwidth. (think email, web, VOIP, Skype,Netflix, Roku).

Must as well get used to the bigger pipe now.

v35_pilot
Premium
Fayetteville, NY
reply to SpeedDemon

Wow, look at all that fluff you are getting on the upload speed! That's nice.

For some reason my account has always struggled to get the 25mbps up, even after calling to complain.

Broad45

join:2013-05-09
reply to v35_pilot

Hi, how do you get such high speed from your router. Which router do you use? I upgraded but my max speed wireless is 39/28, if wired 58/39. I have the MI424WR-GEN2 ver. F router, setting is to Performance N only.

Do I need to buy the Gig-N router from FiOS to get the max 50/25 speed?