how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

[Cable] Thompson DCM-476 Purchase

I have a funny question... In my Brantford office, I am currently running on Robbers Cable for internet using a Motorola SurfBoard SB5101 modem. In order to keep things compliant with being future proof, I want to make the switch over to the Thompson DCM-476 Modem. The goal is that eventually, when TSI can offer cable service here, I will be making the switch to TSI because both their price and their service are much more desirable.

I currently have a TSI account for my one DSL line, but not the cable account (as that was transferred over into my partner's name). The question here is would it be possible to order said modem from TSI through my account without ordering the service specifically?

It would seem that in theory this should be able to be done, but I just wanted to confirm it before locking myself into something that I can't get out of. Any clarification that could be given here would be greatly appreciated.

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON

I don't know if that's possible but I don't think it's a good idea (unless you specifically want that model). I say this because a newer model might come out or the price might drop slightly.
--
Formerly known as section32

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

I can definitely understand where you're coming from on that point. I don't think that will be too much of a concern though because the upgrade will definitely help with a number of things. I will also be upgrading the router at the same time to be able to upgrade to a 1000Mbit ethernet compatible router, rather than just a 10/100.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

You can get the modem from TSI or elsewhere (Canada Computers for instance). The question is whether Rogers will provision your modem on their network. You might get a better answer from them than on the TSI forum.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

According to what I was told by multiple people at Rogers, the modem will work as long as it was intended to be used on the Rogers infrastructure, regardless of where it was purchased from. The only difference to them between a modem purchased directly from Rogers and a modem purchased anywhere else is whether they go into their direct provisioning option, or they provision it as a "Third Party Hardware" exchange. They say that either way the change will take effect immediately upon processing it, it's just a matter of the method in which they use to attach the modem to the account in the first place.

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

I was told differently in the past. Rogers said that they only provision modems sold by them, regardless of model. Even if you bought the exact same model that they provide, but elsewhere, they won't provision it. This is actually one of the main reasons I left them. They may have changed their policies since, but I doubt it.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

said by Scycotic:

Even if you bought the exact same model that they provide, but elsewhere, they won't provision it.

They will sometimes. It is hard to figure out when or how to make them. Possibly not worth the effort. It does happen though.
--
electronicsguru.ca