how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fdm2000

join:2002-02-15
Mount Clemens, MI

Basic question on disconnecting from the internet network

I am having a wireless printer issue and Canon advises updating the driver. There is a question regarding the installation of the driver update for my MX870 printer: My operating system is Win XP SP3 and I have a Comcast cable connected to a Comcast modem which is connected to a Netgear Wireless G router. Canon's driver installation instructions indicate that one should temporarily disable the firewall and disconnect from the internet before beginning the installation.

Unsure what is meant by "disconnect from the internet". With the equipment setup above, how would you suggest I disconnect from the network:
1. power down the modem 2. disconnect the Comcast cable entering the modem or 3. some other method?

As you can see I am somewhat of a newbie with internet and wireless.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Frank

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
Just pull the ethernet cable or disconnect from the wireless AP(depending how you're connected). I think the directions are just playing it safe/paranoid. The firewall probably interferes with installation(especially firewalls with extra features), so they have you disconnect so they are not liable for anyone getting hacked(which may not be related, but users may blame disabling their firewall for their being pwned and sue them). Those directions would be protection for them. Your chance of being hacked is slim to none, but I say follow the directions anyways.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

fdm2000

Mount Clemens, MI
Many thanks for the input Selenia,

I am an 81 year old struggling with the learning curve - I find that the Comcast modem has the following connections - power line, a Cat5 cable and a telephone line. I am assuming that the Cat5 cable would be the ethernet cable from the modem to the wireless Netgear G router. If I disconnect the Cat5 at the modem would this be the internet disconnect that is mentioned by Canon?

Frank

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
Yes, CAT5 is the class of ethernet cable. The internet would be disconnected if you pulled that from whichever end is convenient.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to fdm2000
Should be no reason to disable the firewall or disconnect from the internet.

fdm2000

Mount Clemens, MI
Thanks Selenia and Cylon for the responses.

Frank

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Should be no reason to disable the firewall or disconnect from the internet.

Actually, I thought I had touched on the reason. Some firewalls have extra "features" that may block, damage, or otherwise inhibit the install of low level software like a driver. The manufacturer has no way of knowing if the user is using such a firewall, so disabling it is advice erring on the side of caution. Then there is the fact someone might get hacked and blame disabling the firewall. Disconnecting from the internet covers them on that issue(even though they likely just got pwned in an unrelated incident, average users treat computers like a toaster and know almost nill about security or how they got that virus). I would say none of this is necessary with Windows firewall, but who knows if the user has one of those "OS firewalls".
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Most firewalls will ask to allow the exe to execute. I have never shut down a firewall fro installing drivers - never have had any issues.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
Double post

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
reply to CylonRed
ZA Pro causes issues with certain installs. I had issues with Prevx in a very vanilla configuration. FFXI comes to mind in the old days and that is a regular DirectX game. Drivers are much lower level software.

Was just testing both. Kept neither.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
I have used 4 or 5 different Fws - none had issues including early ZA though I think ZA is quite bloated anymore and I stopped using it..
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain