spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

monstro

join:2013-02-19

How to configure Linksys E3200 for best wireless speed ?

Hi I have TekSavvy Cable Internet that due to speedtest.net gives me about 50 Mbps.

I have bought a dual-band router Linksys E3200.
Enabled wireless networking.
But I only get maximum 10 Mbps due to speedtest.net.

I have factory settings.
Are there any settings in the router configuration that make my wireless connection faster?

Thank you.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Excellent read here:

»www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireles···l?page=2

In summary, turn off backwards compatibility (g, n) and protected mode, and switch to short preamble. Use frame bursting. Use the widest channel that is available on both router and client (usually 40 MHz unless you're on ac), and do your best to avoid RF interference. This will likely involve testing a number of different channels.

I have no idea if your router has all these features, but it's not out of the question. Generally speaking, with all of these tweaks, you should be able to get around half of whatever speed your device says it's connecting at, assuming minimal RF interference.
--
db

monstro

Thanks a lot, but it's my first router.
Could you please let me know exactly where to find these settings and to what values to change them?

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I have never used that router so I can't tell you where to find those settings. It may not even expose those settings to you. Try looking for something like "Advanced Wireless" settings.

Here are the values you want (for maximum performance, not compatibility), assuming you can find them:

Protected mode: off

Wireless mode: n only

Channel width: 40 MHz

Frame bursting: on

preamble: short

channel: auto (you can test different values here)

control sideband: test both upper and lower as you test different channels
--
db

monstro

Thanks a lot!
I will give it a try.
I also heard that disabling IPv6 in connection properties will increase the speed. Not sure if that's true.

monstro

reply to clarknova

Thank you, I set all these settings, but still no significant effect.
Instead of 11, I have 13 Mbps.

The router is 300 Mbps capable dual-band.
The internet is high speed cable over 50 Mbps.
I get full 50 Mbps on PC1 and get only 13 Mbps on HTPC (PC2).

What should be a good wireless speed in my case?
AFAIK, I should get full 50 Mbps on my HTPC instead of 13 Mbps.

Why is it so problematic ?
My configuration cannot be any simpler.
All equipment as I said is in one spot side buy side, there is distance, no interference.

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Under good conditions I would expect better than 13 Mbps. I have seen 27 Mbps on 802.11g, which is about as good as it gets. On 802.11n you should be able to get at least that if conditions are good.

Do you know what wireless speed your HTPC is capable of? If the router is good for 300 Mbps, then it is probably 2x2 MIMO with a 40 MHz channel width. If your HTPC is only 1x1 then it might be capable of only 130 or 150 Mbps. Some devices, such as smart phones, can only do 20 MHz channels and will thus connect at only 65 Mbps. But even in this worst-case n you should be able to get 20 Mbps or better of real throughput.

In your case if the HTPC is very close to the router then you could be seeing receiver overload, where one of the devices is getting too much signal. You could try dropping the transmit power one one or both devices to see what effect that has. You could also try moving the antennas around. Did you try different channels on the router?
--
db

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to monstro

The Key to getting superior performance from the E3200 is to POSITION it properly and to match it with capable wireless clients.

1.. As HIGH up as possible --- if not possible then your performance will suffer
2.. As CENTRAL as possible in your dwelling --- if not possible then your performance will suffer

Make sure that your wireless client used by your "computers" are capable otherwise your performance will suffer on the PC whose wireless client is not capable but compatible.

There is a world of difference between a CAPABLE device and a COMPATIBLE device insofar as wireless --- capable devices are far superior performance wise --- compatible devices are INFERIOR so performance will suffer in the wireless realm.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

monstro

My modem, router, Main PC and HTPC are on the same table. Side by side to each other.

Main PC connected thru Ethernet cable.
HTPC connected with Linksys EA2500 dual-band N600 wireless adapter fully compatible with my Linksys E3200 dual-band N300 gigabit router.

Wireless speed status shows full 5 bars !! (300 Mbps).

The problem only with Internet speed !!

Instruction on Linksys are these:
1 - Connect PCs to your router
2 - Enjoy high speed fantastic performance

Having problem with step 2

To be honest, I feel very frustrated because I just don't get it !!
All hardware is as close to each other as it could possible be.
Wireless connection is FULL 5 bars, but I still have this slow wireless Internet speed.

monstro2

@mercer.ca
reply to mozerd

My modem, router, Main PC and HTPC are on the same table. Side by side to each other.

Main PC connected thru Ethernet cable.
HTPC connected with Linksys EA2500 dual-band N600 wireless adapter fully compatible with my Linksys E3200 dual-band N300 gigabit router.

Wireless speed status shows full 5 bars !! (300 Mbps).

The problem only with Internet speed !!

Instruction on Linksys are these:
1 - Connect PCs to your router

To be honest, I feel very frustrated because I just don't get it !!
All hardware is as close to each other as it could possible be.
Wireless connection is FULL 5 bars, but I still have this slow wireless Internet speed.

monstro

reply to monstro

To be honest, I dont understand - am I the first person on this planet who makes a wireless home network.

Why is there a problem? Everything's perfect with everyone else?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to monstro2

said by monstro2 :

but I still have this slow wireless Internet speed.

What in my original reply to you do you not understand.

Your 1st step is to move the E3200 away from your TABLE and locate that as HIGH UP and as CENTRAL as possible. If that is not convenient you suffer the consequences. The E3200 should not be closer than 10 feet to any of your wireless devices and the HIGHER its placed the better will the performance be -- BUT that's is not the entire picture --- your wireless clients must be capable.

One of the most important steps is to make sure that your Wireless clients ARE CAPABLE [not compatible] with your E3200 otherwise your wireless performance will be mediocre.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

monstro

Not sure if you read my previous post, but I specifically indicated the models of my router and the adapter. They are fully compatible AFAIK. Also, I DONT have any other wireless devices. Just the router and the usb adapter inserted into my HTPC.

I find it VERY hard to believe that the closer the reciever to the router the WORSE the speed is Makes no sense at all.

Besides as I told before I get full 300 Mbps wireless connection speed.

The problem is ONLY with internet speed on wiressly connected HTPC.

If anyone can explain me why I dont get full 50 Mbps internet speed on wiress network 270-300 Mpbs (actual), I will give you a medal !!

What INTERNET speed do you get in your wireless network?
And what is the speed of your ISP ?

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by monstro:

Makes no sense at all.

It's called receiver overload and it's quite sensible.

If anyone can explain me why I dont get full 50 Mbps internet speed on wiress network 270-300 Mpbs (actual), I will give you a medal !!

Your HTPC is too close to the router. PM me for my mailing address.
--
db

monstro

Thanks, I PM-ed you clarknova.