onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Re: Low water pressure

Aerator. it was the damned aerator. I'm glad though. Because the way my luck is, I was thinking it would be something way more complicated and expensive.

It was clogged with bits of white shit. I guess the result of hard water. ..I dunno.

My kitchen faucet has apparently been claimed by this as well. But I can't take that apart. It's one of those pullout spray faucets. Sure you can unscrew the center piece of the aerator, but the spray nozzles are the thing that's clogged on that. It's time to replace it anyway, but does anyone know of a pullout kitchen faucet that can be taken apart for cleaning such crap out of it?
I'd hate to keep throwing these things away every 3 years.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by onebadmofo:

It was clogged with bits of white shit.

What year was your water heater manufactured? (There should be a sticker with a date on it.)

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Could they be a sign of your hot water heater dip tube disintegrating?

If your luck is like mine no plumbing problem is ever simple fix.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

Water heater dip tube is what I thought when I saw the description of the debris. Probably is disintegrating. One thing you could test. If you saved (or can get more of) the debris particles, try putting some white vinegar on them and see if they dissolve. If they do dissolve quickly, then possibly it was just hard water deposits and not plastic particles.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by onebadmofo:

It was clogged with bits of white shit.

What year was your water heater manufactured? (There should be a sticker with a date on it.)

I'll check that when I get home.
Why do you ask?
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
What is that? And what would it take to replace it?

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

The dip tube is a plastic tube inside the water heater. It takes the cold water from the inlet down to the bottom of the water heater. As you recall from basic science, heat rises. So the hot water that exits your water heater leaves through the top. You don't want to be diluting the already-heated water with cold water. Thus the dip tube. It takes the cold water that needs heating down to the lower part of the heater where the heat source (gas burner, for example) is located.

Depending on the age of your water heater, it might be feasible to replace the tube. But if the tank is already past its prime life expectancy, then just replacing the water heater is probably a better choice.

A great place to get help and parts is »waterheaterresuce.com

A video of this thread...
»www.ronhazelton.com/tips ··· lacement
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

To add to Goofy's post... For a period of time, water heater manufacturers were using an inappropriate material for their dip tubes, which resulted in them failing prematurely.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

said by Bob4:

To add to Goofy's post... For a period of time, water heater manufacturers were using an inappropriate material for their dip tubes, which resulted in them failing prematurely.

Yep, drove me crazy around here. All the aerators clogged with what looked like a white fine gravel. Years later a dishwasher had problems and had to taken apart because of it. I suspect I will one day run into something around here that still has that crap in it.

Edit: The first symptom was running out of hot water too early.Then all the faucets got clogged up. Put in a new heater.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
n/m - I should have finished reading the thread before posting.