Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Maine: What gateways is Time Warner giving out

I'd like to know what D3 Gateways Time Warner is currently giving out. I'd like to get something other than Ubee (preferably Arris). I'd like to be able to get a battery for it and Arris batteries are easily obtainable (through Arris website). I have not been able to locate an Ubee battery for her modem. I want to install a battery as Grandma is going to be getting medical monitoring (and that does have a battery). I could also go the UPS route and plug the modem into a UPS power strip.

I myself am not a big fan of Ubee. I currently have a Motorola modem for my Internet at my house.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

have you verified her nodes / equipment on the outside will remain up in the event of a power failure? In my case, all the batteries in the world would not make a different because the batteries at the cable plant level die in 2-3 hours tops.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by swintec:

have you verified her nodes / equipment on the outside will remain up in the event of a power failure? In my case, all the batteries in the world would not make a different because the batteries at the cable plant level die in 2-3 hours tops.

I think the last time she lost power was her and a few houses as the transformer on her street blew. When I lost power in the October snowstorm, the modem battery lasted about 4 hours before it died. I was up in Maine at the time (grandma never lost power) but I was able to talk to my mother in Mass on my Comcast phone while the power was out at my residence. The way the power grids work is power can be lost at one or two residences or can be widespread. Also during the October snowstorm, the Comcast phone worked better than the cell phones because AT&T did not have backup power at the cell sites. I have Verizon and they worked good during the outage. My mother is now on my VZW plan (mom had AT&T during October snowstorm).

Basically what I am saying is power can be lost at the node or be lost at the subscriber premises or both. Same with FairPoint, power lost at central office and all bets are off.

My grandma lives on a street where you have to take a sharp right and then take a sharp left to get to her house and there is a telephone pole that is always getting hit by cars.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

I suppose if the power is lost at your own and a neighbor you will be fine but how often does that happen? Once power for streets is lost, the amplifiers and other equipment will cut over to the battery back ups on the poles. Once those die you will be up the creek.

Then it becomes a matter of how healthy the batteries are and how long they will last. Personally, I got 2-3 hours. You may get 4-6 in Mass. but it really depends on Grandmas specific situation out there.

Id just hate to see you get her a 10 hour battery system when she will only really get up to 4 from the cable system.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I just swapped out her modem and we decided to go back to the Time Warner standard Internet so I got her a Cisco DPC 2203. I think they might use the same battery as the Arris 402 modems.
TWCdude
join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX

TWCdude to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
If you are worried about 911 service just buy an old cell phone and keep it charged. By law calling 911 will work on any cell phone regardless if the phone has a subscription to a service or not. This will give you a nice backup phone for emergencies and no monthly bill.