uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to corkyy

Re: [DSL] Modem Rental Fee

Your company sells modems that were stolen from Bell? Not a good idea to advertise this.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

Back in the day they were more expensive and I bought a speedtouch modem for $85 through a group buy. Since then I've paid $20-$40 a modem. Prices have gone down big time.

the price of adsl2+ modems have no relevance to the price of vdsl2 modems. They're completely different things. And they cost much more than $85 to buy new, from what I can tell.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

They'll go down in time just like the adsl2+ modems. If you check the Canadian Broadband forum there's a source in Hong Kong selling them for $60 delivered.

tinachicka

join:2011-08-26
reply to TSI Gabe

said by TSI Gabe:

Buying modems is in fact available to us as of a few days ago. We are still working out the details so it's coming soon.

Any news on this? We want to upgrade our service but only if we can buy the hardware.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by Mike2009:

Back in the day they were more expensive and I bought a speedtouch modem for $85 through a group buy. Since then I've paid $20-$40 a modem. Prices have gone down big time.

the price of adsl2+ modems have no relevance to the price of vdsl2 modems. They're completely different things. And they cost much more than $85 to buy new, from what I can tell.

the Huawei HG610 is about $50-60 right now.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

the price of adsl2+ modems have no relevance to the price of vdsl2 modems. They're completely different things.

A VDSL2 modem has practically the same fundamental components as ADSL2+ modems do, except extra analog filters to separate individual downstream/upstream bands and a ~10X more powerful DSP sporting ADCs/DACs with ~10X higher sampling rates.

Certainly somewhat more complex and using higher-performance parts but not so much so as to be more than twice as expensive.

lBrasi

join:2005-01-27

So now that we are able to purchase our own modems for 15/10 and above packages what are our options? Is Huawei HG610 an option?

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 edit
reply to JMJimmy

Click for full size
Click for full size
Modem rental fee even if you own your own modem?
This is news to me....I would not be very happy if I see a rental fee on my first bill.

I'm not seeing a modem rental fee on the website.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

We just removed the rental fee a few days ago and replaced it with a purchase.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
reply to Cartel

If you have DSL6 (or service in BC) this doesn't apply to you, no worries

The modem rental has been removed now so new customers just signing up will be buying the modem and not have a rental fee. However, the rental fee was only for 15/10, 25, and 50Mb service in ON and QC. So again, no worries there will not be a rental fee on your invoice if the screenshots provided are of your package.
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

lBrasi

reply to TSI Andre

I want to upgrade to 25/10, what are my modem purchase options?

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Currently just buy one from us. We are working on other options.

lBrasi

When you say "one" does that mean my only option is the sagemcom?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

The Sagemcom modem for $130 is the only option right now.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 edit
reply to lBrasi

Yes. Sorry about that. You are correct.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

xorrdct ?

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

It's Klingon for correct.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2

Errm, no it isn't....

That would be: HISlaH.

Pffft.....

:-D

adit9989

@pmac.ca
reply to TSI Andre

I'm in the same situation here. The only thing which stops me to make the move from another provider to you (VDSL 25/10) is this all modem fiasco. I know is Bell fault but still...
Before it was the option to buy I was not interested, I don't like to rent equipment. I even changed my water heater with my own one (hate to rent it).
Now that you can buy the modem it's a step forward, but after reading for the last month about this, I just want a fully unlocked modem which just works. I do not even care that the price is $60 or $130 as long as I know that the modem works and if I need I can connect another router and I don't have all kind of limitations because the modem, and also that if I need I can access every feature of the modem.

I live in Oakville and suspect I am on a Stinger so I can not even look to buy any other modem unfortunately, so for now I still wait and use my ADSL connection.

polkaroo

join:2009-04-01
Ottawa
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

The Sagemcom modem for $130 is the only option right now.

Hi Marc. How do I return my sagemcom rental and stop paying the rental fee?

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to TSI Andre

If we buy the modem is it running Bell firmware? Are we able to modify the code to fix issues or must it run specific firmware to be allowed on the network?

Edit: and how will Bell distinguish a purchased Sagemcom from a rented one? If I purchase one I am not authorizing Bell to perform firmware updates on my hardware so is there some mechanism in place to prevent them from doing so?

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by JMJimmy:

If we buy the modem is it running Bell firmware? Are we able to modify the code to fix issues or must it run specific firmware to be allowed on the network?

Edit: and how will Bell distinguish a purchased Sagemcom from a rented one? If I purchase one I am not authorizing Bell to perform firmware updates on my hardware so is there some mechanism in place to prevent them from doing so?

Unlock it, put it in bridge mode, use your own router. No TRS means no updates. Current versions of the Sagemcom work fine this way if you're on a 7330 (sync no surf is an issue on Stingers even with the latest firmware apparently).

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by SimplePanda:

Unlock it, put it in bridge mode, use your own router. No TRS means no updates. Current versions of the Sagemcom work fine this way if you're on a 7330 (sync no surf is an issue on Stingers even with the latest firmware apparently).

That's great that can be done, however, the question remains: If we buy it and want to run it in routed mode, will we have to run Bell firmware and will it try to update said firmware without permission?

heyyahblah

join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to JMJimmy

Since the VDSL modem rental fee is gone, are we forced to buy the sagemcom modem from teksavvy for $130? Or can I use my own VDSL modem instead? Like the zytel or the zhone, which doesn't have those sync-no-surf issues?

I am on a stinger remote and don't want to upgrade if I know this is going to be a problem, even since the new firmware hasn't fixed this issue the slightest. Its not worth the risk to have an unstable connection when my ADSL2+ is stable now.

So, TSI gang or TSI Marc, can we use our own VDSL modem?
--
Larry, Larry Laugher .. hehe

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

They said no in another thread...no BYOM for now.

heyyahblah

join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

Well that sucks. so much in hopes for upgrading. I don't want to spend $130 on a modem that risks giving me a sync-no-surf issue, when I already know I am on a beta-garbage stinger IKNS remote, that my upstream doesn't even sync at 1088.

I wouldn't want to risk it. I'd rather have my own VDSL that syncs at 50/7 .... better then 35/10 bridge or interleave profile on a botched modem.
--
Larry, Larry Laugher .. hehe