Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

[IE] IE 8 (32 and 64 bit) crashes on NYTIMES.COM

Can someone try it? Just navigate to NYTIMES.COM with IE8. I so far have reproduced it on 2 computers. Chrome and FF work fine.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

Click for full size
working here...

in fairness my anti malware did block a link, I'll clear my list and jot it down and update here.

the ones my anti malware are blocking are:

ch2lb.checkm8.com
b.scorecardresearch.com
ib.adnxs.com
pix04.revsci.net

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS

said by dib22:

working here...

in fairness my anti malware did block a link, I'll clear my list and jot it down and update here.

You are using IE 10. I was asking to test with IE 8.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

Hah you are correct... I only saw IE 8 and my brain jumped to conclusions (IE on windows 8)... my apologies!

melliemel

join:2013-02-19
Champaign, IL

My co-worker sees this but I do not; I can reproduce it by accessing nytimes in privacy mode. That makes me think this is an issue with one or more add-ins. I'm still investigating and I welcome any help or advice!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Try loading the page with SCRIPTS DISABLED and see if it crashes then........

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Im curious if this page causes crashing if you goto it WITH SCRIPTS DISABLED??

Im on IE6 (Using MyIE2) and i just ENABLED SCRIPTS and loaded the page and about 10 seconds into loading i got an alert saying "Internet explorer cannot open this page -- Operation aborted" but IT DID NOT CLOSE THE TAB and i could navigate on the site!!!! (Usually when i get an alert like that (Scripts enabled) IT CLOSES THE TAB STRAIGHT AWAY) -- Quite interesting...

I have NO ISSUES loading the page if i disable scripts.. THEY MUST HAVE ISSUES ON THIER SITE!!

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

Try loading the page with SCRIPTS DISABLED and see if it crashes then........

Doesn't crash with scripts disabled.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Re: [IE] IE 8 (32 and 64 bit) crashes on NYTIMES.COM

quote:
Chinese hackers repeatedly penetrated The New York Times' computer systems over the past four months, stealing reporters' passwords and hunting for files on an investigation into the wealth amassed by the family of a top Chinese leader, the newspaper is reporting.
»www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story···ers.html

Be careful there

philBE

reply to philBE

Re:  

Forgot to mention:

While direct access to Nytimes.com from WIN XP IE8 address bar is indeed blocked from my location (BE), access thru a proxy works perfectly...wonder why ?

__philippe

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to chachazz

I was wondering the same:
»Exploit Sat on LA Times Website for 6 Weeeks

philBE

1 edit
reply to Dude111

Re:  

g

IE-Error-signature
Same NYTIMES access problem here (from Belgium):

Attempt to access www.nytimes.com from IE8 URL address bar just closes WIN IE8.
(No system crash, mind you, IE simply closes down immediately and controls return (gracefully) to the default Windows screen.)

Sometimes (but not every time) after those aborted NYTimes access attempts, WIN displays a std error message such as "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

I captured some of the system error message and sub-messages:

- (1)Standard IE error Message
- (2)Internet Explorer "Error Signature"

I also clicked the "send error report" button, but who knows what MS ever does with these reports...?

This error ONLY happens when attempting to access the Nytimes.com site, any other site is perfectly accessible.

This problem started happening around 15 or 16 FEB 2013.

Current system
- Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3
- Internet Explorer IE8 8.0.6001.1702

Latest WIN Official distribution patches applied (13-FEB-2013).

Anyone got suggestion ?

__philippe

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Re: stopping the crash

First reply, there are sites there listed, try adding them to the hosts' file after 127.0.0.1 and a space, save the hosts file, then revisit the site.

Something like this:

127.0.0.1 ch2lb.checkm8.com
127.0.0.1 b.scorecardresearch.com
127.0.0.1 ib.adnxs.com
127.0.0.1 pix04.revsci.net

Does it still crash?
I know it was referencing different browsers, but it is worth testing to see if it is the site or an ad.

I've not time to pull out the XP machine right now to test.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

DHITtech

@durangoherald.com
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Seeing the same issue with IE 8 and the nytimes.com site. We just had someone come back into the office from vacation and notice this. Chrome loads fine.

After some tinkering in IE, I've found disabling Active Scripting (under Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom level > Scripting) allows the site to load, though the (presumably script-based) videos on the front page themselves do not.

For what that's worth.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Yes it does....... (As i have said before in this thread (And others ))

Disabling scripts is good though NO MATTER what site your loading

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to JoeSchmoe007

We are seeing this internally at my company as well. If you navigate to wsj.com first, then go to nytimes.com, it will load fine. If you then clear your temp internet files, it will stop working again until you go to wsj.com (or some other site that loads whatever wsj loads to make it work).

TD

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DHITtech

said by DHITtech :

Seeing the same issue with IE 8 and the nytimes.com site. We just had someone come back into the office from vacation and notice this. Chrome loads fine.

After some tinkering in IE, I've found disabling Active Scripting (under Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom level > Scripting) allows the site to load, though the (presumably script-based) videos on the front page themselves do not.

For what that's worth.

It's not just videos - some other page elements do not show up as well.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to towerdave

said by towerdave:

We are seeing this internally at my company as well. If you navigate to wsj.com first, then go to nytimes.com, it will load fine. If you then clear your temp internet files, it will stop working again until you go to wsj.com (or some other site that loads whatever wsj loads to make it work).

TD

LOL @ this WSJ workaround - you need to email it to NY Times to rub it in.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Did you try the Chinese language version of IE8?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to JoeSchmoe007

I discovered that the mobile site loads w/o issue.. (I enabled scripts and it loaded fine)

»mobile.nytimes.com

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to JoeSchmoe007

said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by towerdave:

TD

LOL @ this WSJ workaround - you need to email it to NY Times to rub it in.

We're a brokerage firm. I just tried that site because it was the first to come to mind. Wanted to make sure the user's browser wasn't messed up. I'm sure there are other sites that load whatever the Times's site doesn't load to make it work.

TD