Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

labattman

join:2012-03-15
Beamsville, ON
reply to tcauleycoge

Re: [INTERNET] Cannot update to new version of Cogeco Security S

When you look at all the security patches Microsoft issue each month just for Windows and IE alone, I tend to think their security software would also have lots of holes that require monthly patching once reports flow in that systems have been compromised.

M in Cobourg

@cgocable.net

said by labattman:

When you look at all the security patches Microsoft issue each month just for Windows and IE alone, I tend to think their security software would also have lots of holes that require monthly patching once reports flow in that systems have been compromised.

If you are referring to the Cogeco suite, it checks hourly for updates, and downloads and installs them in the background - much more often than MS's once a month.

I have installed the new version under Windows 8, and was pleased to find that it integrates with Windows Firewall. Unlike previous versions, it doesn't require you to set up your firewall rules separately, or to shut down Windows Firewall when running F-Secure.

kittyburgers

join:2012-01-31
reply to labattman

You'd be wrong in thinking that. It is most certainly not in Microsoft's best interest to have a flawed security product of this magnitude. That is one of the reasons they went ahead and offered Security Essentials for free, and it wasn't a moment too soon. Microsoft Security Essential is sure as hell updated more then once a month (usually at least once a day). This also happens in the background without any user intervention necessary and a minimum of resources.