share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to gdm

Re: [Speed] Chicago speed changes

said by gdm:

I just signed up with Comcast last week on the 20/4 package. Apparently I only have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem so a 3.0 is being shipped to me tomorrow.

What should the 20/4 be going to?

Performance is actually 15/2. 20/4 (I usually see 24/4) is the Powerboost speed. The new speed will be 25/5.

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

This is what it shows and what I have for my area. I'll have to see what happens when I get the DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

So far I can't get above 260 KB/s on s sustained upload. More than 20 megs in size.

cmslick3

join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL
reply to andyross

With the speed upgrades going on does anyone know if the Business Class customers will be seeing an increase as well? I have BC service at my home for work and I wouldn't mike betting a little higher speed. I'm currently running at 20/4.

I am in Joliet on the far east side almost to New Lenox.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by cmslick3:

With the speed upgrades going on does anyone know if the Business Class customers will be seeing an increase as well? I have BC service at my home for work and I wouldn't mike betting a little higher speed. I'm currently running at 20/4.

I am in Joliet on the far east side almost to New Lenox.

No one knows as of now, but seeing as how they just DID do a (less significant and also not free) speed upgrade:

12/2 -> 17/3
22/5 -> 27/7

I'm not holding my breath...
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

september

join:2003-05-06
Chicago, IL

I am currently on the 20/4 Performance w/ Powerboost plan here in Chicago. What will they increase my speed to? When?

killj0y

join:2013-02-08
Rockford, IL
reply to andyross

Rockford, IL - I'm waiting on my D3.0 emta to come in the mail. I'm on the Burst! plan. FYI: if anyone else has the triple play, they said that they are not able to exchange EMTAs at the local office at this time for whatever reason(maybe E911?). I currently have a DHG535, I chatted on the online support and they sent a new one out yesterday for me.

I found out when I power cycled and my uploads went from 5mbit to 11mbit, so I'll report back with real speeds in 3-5 days :P

jafo1972

join:2004-04-15
Chicago, IL

Did the Blast tier also get an upgraded speed? I'm currently at 17Mb down and 6Mb up.

september

Chicago, IL

Yes, reset the modem.

jafo1972

Chicago, IL

How do you reset it? I disconnected the power chord and connected it back and I still get the same speeds.

jafo1972

Chicago, IL

I checked my modem. It's a MOTOROLA SBV5220 and it seems this modem is only Docsys 2.0. I guess I need to upgrade it in order to get the faster speeds. I will call Comcast this weekend.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by jafo1972:

I checked my modem. It's a MOTOROLA SBV5220 and it seems this modem is only Docsys 2.0. I guess I need to upgrade it in order to get the faster speeds. I will call Comcast this weekend.

Yep. You need a Docsis 3 EMTA (Especially if you have Comcast Phone service.) See here for a list of D3 modems and EMTAs: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Set the speed for Blast and show only the latest models and it'll reveal the modems comcast uses.

The modem you have now, I believe was obsoleted some time ago.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to september

said by september:

I am currently on the 20/4 Performance w/ Powerboost plan here in Chicago. What will they increase my speed to? When?

20/4 is the rated PowerBoost speed (I usually see 24/4). According to an article I read in the paper, the continuous rate is rising from 15/2 to 25/5. There will no longer be any PowerBoost. No mention of when, but I've seen April mentioned in various other posts.

september

Chicago, IL

I was hoping for a bigger increase. 20/4 is what I usually get when downloading/uploading and 25/5 isn't much of an upgrade.

robot

join:2003-07-02
Palos Hills, IL

Bummer

nxreid

join:2001-01-25
Glenview, IL

Glenview, IL

BLAST Upgrade!

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to andyross

Click for full size
I currently have Performance (see screen shot above showing my bill). As we all know, Powerboost is going away.

Would it be a proper assumption that once that actually does happen, my bill will be modified from what it says above to read "Performance Internet Svc" (drop off the line under it that says "Includes Powerboost.")?

I would believe that once Powerboost is off, the bill would be modified to not list that anymore.

The reason I'm asking is that for me, that is a small change to my service. While we have some idea when that will happen (April or May), I don't want to spend time every 2 or 3 days rebooting everything to see if they pushed it out.

If I just look each month at my bill, and that wording goes away, that could be an indication that the change has happened in my area.

However, I am being totally logical here, and we are talking about Comcast. It would not surprise me that if come December, Powerboost is long gone, and my bill will probably still list that I have it!

Thoughts?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by plencnerb:

I would believe that once Powerboost is off, the bill would be modified to not list that anymore.
Thoughts?

--Brian

I would not count on that Brian. I have the new 20/4 performance, which Shaper shows more like 22/4.5, however, clearly there is still power boost on the download...no pb on the upload, so I would not assume that they would not show pb on the bill.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about constant re-booting: When your area upgrades, you will get an email from Comcast announcing that they upgraded your service.
--
Deeds, not words

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

That is what I figured. Something simple like that would probably be to much to ask from Comcast.

Its not a big deal, so I'll just wait for the e-mail to come in and let me know. My service has been rock solid anyway, so a small increase in sustained upload and download is not something that I'm going to sit home all day and reboot my modem for. When it comes, it comes.

--Brian

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by plencnerb:

That is what I figured. Something simple like that would probably be to much to ask from Comcast.

Its not a big deal, so I'll just wait for the e-mail to come in and let me know. My service has been rock solid anyway, so a small increase in sustained upload and download is not something that I'm going to sit home all day and reboot my modem for. When it comes, it comes.

--Brian

Yep, believe me, although there is a small, measurable increase, in reality, there is little change in percieved speed.

But then I will take any speed increase that they want to give...
--
Deeds, not words

DanM64

join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

Looks like those of you on Performance will definitely be getting your upgrade in April- based on this article from the Daily Herald. Interestingly it also says Performance will go to 25/5, contrary to the 20/4 everyone saw on the east coast. Here's the article, which was posted on Comcast IL/IN/MI Facebook page.
»www.dailyherald.com/article/2013···titial=1

HHI

@comcast.net
reply to andyross

i take it chicago hasn't seen upgrades yet? From skimming through posts, i think i only noticed people in the suburbs reporting they have seen their speed increase.

asciirider
Premium
join:2000-07-25
Chicago, IL

"i take it chicago hasn't seen upgrades yet? From skimming through posts, i think i only noticed people in the suburbs reporting they have seen their speed increase."

You assume incorrectly. I'm on the SW side and have been getting the higer speeds since Monday.

ahhnold

join:2003-12-04
Orland Park, IL
reply to andyross

Don't know if this is related but I had my modem ip changed yesterday to 98.x. I have noticed more delay variability in routing since but my speeds have remained the same as before at 25/4.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to andyross

I am going to close this topic, too, since people are using it to report when they receive the current upgrades. We need to keep that here, so it gets a link in the first post in that topic.

Here is the appropriate stickied thread ---> »[Speed] Report recent Extreme, Blast or Performance upgrades her

Please don't start multiple threads about the speed upgrades (Blast, Performance or Extreme). If you can confirm your city, state has received the upgrade, post in the designated thread as others have been doing since August 2012.

If you have a specific issue in regard to the upgrades (not receipt or non-receipt), of course it is fine to start an individual topic to discuss that issues. Let's just not fill the forum with huge threads so undefined they lose usefulness.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .