Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to jafo1972

Premium Member

to jafo1972

Re: [Speed] Chicago speed changes

said by jafo1972:

I checked my modem. It's a MOTOROLA SBV5220 and it seems this modem is only Docsys 2.0. I guess I need to upgrade it in order to get the faster speeds. I will call Comcast this weekend.

Yep. You need a Docsis 3 EMTA (Especially if you have Comcast Phone service.) See here for a list of D3 modems and EMTAs: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Set the speed for Blast and show only the latest models and it'll reveal the modems comcast uses.

The modem you have now, I believe was obsoleted some time ago.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to september

MVM

to september
said by september:

I am currently on the 20/4 Performance w/ Powerboost plan here in Chicago. What will they increase my speed to? When?

20/4 is the rated PowerBoost speed (I usually see 24/4). According to an article I read in the paper, the continuous rate is rising from 15/2 to 25/5. There will no longer be any PowerBoost. No mention of when, but I've seen April mentioned in various other posts.
september
join:2003-05-06
Chicago, IL

september

I was hoping for a bigger increase. 20/4 is what I usually get when downloading/uploading and 25/5 isn't much of an upgrade.

robot
join:2003-07-02
Darien, IL

robot

Bummer
nxreid
join:2001-01-25
Glenview, IL

nxreid

Glenview, IL

BLAST Upgrade!

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
Click for full size
I currently have Performance (see screen shot above showing my bill). As we all know, Powerboost is going away.

Would it be a proper assumption that once that actually does happen, my bill will be modified from what it says above to read "Performance Internet Svc" (drop off the line under it that says "Includes Powerboost.")?

I would believe that once Powerboost is off, the bill would be modified to not list that anymore.

The reason I'm asking is that for me, that is a small change to my service. While we have some idea when that will happen (April or May), I don't want to spend time every 2 or 3 days rebooting everything to see if they pushed it out.

If I just look each month at my bill, and that wording goes away, that could be an indication that the change has happened in my area.

However, I am being totally logical here, and we are talking about Comcast. It would not surprise me that if come December, Powerboost is long gone, and my bill will probably still list that I have it!

Thoughts?

--Brian

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by plencnerb:

I would believe that once Powerboost is off, the bill would be modified to not list that anymore.
Thoughts?

--Brian

I would not count on that Brian. I have the new 20/4 performance, which Shaper shows more like 22/4.5, however, clearly there is still power boost on the download...no pb on the upload, so I would not assume that they would not show pb on the bill.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about constant re-booting: When your area upgrades, you will get an email from Comcast announcing that they upgraded your service.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

That is what I figured. Something simple like that would probably be to much to ask from Comcast.

Its not a big deal, so I'll just wait for the e-mail to come in and let me know. My service has been rock solid anyway, so a small increase in sustained upload and download is not something that I'm going to sit home all day and reboot my modem for. When it comes, it comes.

--Brian

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by plencnerb:

That is what I figured. Something simple like that would probably be to much to ask from Comcast.

Its not a big deal, so I'll just wait for the e-mail to come in and let me know. My service has been rock solid anyway, so a small increase in sustained upload and download is not something that I'm going to sit home all day and reboot my modem for. When it comes, it comes.

--Brian

Yep, believe me, although there is a small, measurable increase, in reality, there is little change in percieved speed.

But then I will take any speed increase that they want to give...
DanM64
join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL

DanM64 to andyross

to andyross
Looks like those of you on Performance will definitely be getting your upgrade in April- based on this article from the Daily Herald. Interestingly it also says Performance will go to 25/5, contrary to the 20/4 everyone saw on the east coast. Here's the article, which was posted on Comcast IL/IN/MI Facebook page.
»www.dailyherald.com/arti ··· titial=1

HHI
@comcast.net

HHI to andyross

Anon

to andyross
i take it chicago hasn't seen upgrades yet? From skimming through posts, i think i only noticed people in the suburbs reporting they have seen their speed increase.
asciirider
Premium Member
join:2000-07-25
Chicago, IL

asciirider

Premium Member

"i take it chicago hasn't seen upgrades yet? From skimming through posts, i think i only noticed people in the suburbs reporting they have seen their speed increase."

You assume incorrectly. I'm on the SW side and have been getting the higer speeds since Monday.

ahhnold
join:2003-12-04
Orland Park, IL

ahhnold to andyross

to andyross
Don't know if this is related but I had my modem ip changed yesterday to 98.x. I have noticed more delay variability in routing since but my speeds have remained the same as before at 25/4.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to andyross

to andyross
I am going to close this topic, too, since people are using it to report when they receive the current upgrades. We need to keep that here, so it gets a link in the first post in that topic.

Here is the appropriate stickied thread ---> »[Speed] Report recent Extreme, Blast or Performance upgrades her

Please don't start multiple threads about the speed upgrades (Blast, Performance or Extreme). If you can confirm your city, state has received the upgrade, post in the designated thread as others have been doing since August 2012.

If you have a specific issue in regard to the upgrades (not receipt or non-receipt), of course it is fine to start an individual topic to discuss that issues. Let's just not fill the forum with huge threads so undefined they lose usefulness.