Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to DanM64

Re: [Speed] Chicago speed changes

You can very easily call Comcast and get put on a Blast promo. I'm paying $29.99 for Blast. Haven't pay their "normal" rate for over 2 years, since I signed up.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

They're going to announce it "very soon."

»www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s···_comment

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by mario02423:

They're going to announce it "very soon."

»www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s···_comment

Is that a legitimate Comcast affiliated Facebook page? I thought they only had one page, the one at facebook.com/xfinity
EDIT - nevermind, looks like it is!

mario02423

Berwyn, IL

Yes, it's the Comcast regional page for Illinois and parts of Indiana/Michigan.

Anon Name

@reliableservers.com
reply to andyross

How about ultra tier?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Probably not because Ultra is (I believe) a discontinued tier.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

I've heard several radio ads here in Chicago about the upcoming speed changes. Most seem to refer to what has been discussed here (basically, fixed speed the same as the previous PowerBoost).

One of the ads mentioned that 200Mbit service would be offered. Has anyone heard of that one?

If the ads are running and there hasn't been an official announcement from Comcast it is probably a market test

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

1 recommendation

reply to china crisis

Click for full size
said by china crisis:

T.V. Messege Chicago area.

I got the same message here. I'm on the Blast tier also. This will be a nice upgrade! Here is my first speed test from over 8 years ago after first having HSI available to me. Prior to that I was shotgunning dial-up modems trying to get 56k!

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.2.1e
click START to begin
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 258.86Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 3.48Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

2004-06-30 10:38:23 Speed test @ dslreports.linkline.com 3304/218 kbps
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jagged

said by jagged:

said by andyross:

I've heard several radio ads here in Chicago about the upcoming speed changes. Most seem to refer to what has been discussed here (basically, fixed speed the same as the previous PowerBoost).

One of the ads mentioned that 200Mbit service would be offered. Has anyone heard of that one?

If the ads are running and there hasn't been an official announcement from Comcast it is probably a market test

I hope not! I hope this is a nationwide rollout! I want my 50mbps here in the SF Bay Area dammit lol!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

reply to andyross

I heard the ad again, and they said by June they would offer speeds 'over 200 megs'.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

2 recommendations

reply to jkj860

said by jkj860:

said by china crisis:

T.V. Messege Chicago area.

I got the same message here. I'm on the Blast tier also. This will be a nice upgrade! Here is my first speed test from over 8 years ago after first having HSI available to me. Prior to that I was shotgunning dial-up modems trying to get 56k!

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.2.1e
click START to begin
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 258.86Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 3.48Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

2004-06-30 10:38:23 Speed test @ dslreports.linkline.com 3304/218 kbps

I don't have speed test results, but I think when I first got HSI in mid-2003, it was 1500/128. I had one of those 3COM sharkfin modems. It even played some music when it made a connection!

posthaste

join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL
reply to andyross

Same Comcast Xfinity message showed up here in Champaign-Urbana on February 18th.

Waiting...

jblues

join:2001-04-28
Allen Park, MI
reply to andyross

We had the same ad in Detroit area. Also said "We are doubling speeds on the two fastest tiers soon."

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

Just got off the phone with 800XFINITY, the representative confirmed the following for the Chicago markets:

Performance is going up. Not sure on the speeds.
Blast is going from 25 to 50/10 in March, 2013.
Extreme 50 is going from 50/10 to 105/20 in either March or April, 2013.
Extreme 105 is not increasing, maybe the price will change or possibly include new bundles. IMHO, not likely.

Going to post this to the Chicago thread as well.

Anon Name

@choopa.net
reply to andyross

I used their facebook page, link a few posts ago, to ask what should I do as I'm on ultra. The following morning I got a reply and later that day a call back from 'management staff.' Long story short, I switched to blast as I was assured that on March 4th blast will be 50mbps.

nightwalker
Nightwalker

join:1999-08-07
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Also it should be noted that most home routers only support 100 mbit. You might need to replace/upgrade your home router to a newer model that supported gigE in order to achieve greater then 100 mbit speed on the WAN interface. Newer cablemodems such as the SB6120 support GigE interfaces.
--
»www.reverse.net

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

said by nightwalker:

Also it should be noted that most home routers only support 100 mbit. You might need to replace/upgrade your home router to a newer model that supported gigE in order to achieve greater then 100 mbit speed on the WAN interface. Newer cablemodems such as the SB6120 support GigE interfaces.

Along with that, those of us that have built our own router using an older PC running either Smoothwall, PFSense, Moonwall (or probably many others), may need to replace their 10/100 MB NIC's with Gigabit NIC's if you want to be able to get speeds at and over 100 MB.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

Confirmed with 800XFINITY again just now -- Chicago markets are increasing on March 4th, other markets are increasing on April 15th. The Extreme 105 will stay the same but the price will go down unless you're under a contract (then you'll probably have to fight). No 200+ service yet...

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL

Anyone know anymore details about this happening tomorrow and if so when? Also what is needed, I've seen somethings, says unplug, remove battery and reboot. I've also seen that XFinity will just push the new file and the speed will change. Thanks

ReignOfRain

join:2012-11-02
West Palm Beach, FL

I too, would like to know how to confirm that we got the upgrade. I'm on Blast, 25 down 5 up right now. Powerboost takes the download to 35. So according to this update I should go to 50 down and 10/15 up. Would I have to do something to get the changes? Clicking reset to default than hitting reboot? A basic power cycle of unplugging from the wall outlet? Much appreciated!

mario02423

Berwyn, IL

/removed - Safari and this forum suck.

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ReignOfRain

said by ReignOfRain:

Would I have to do something to get the changes? Clicking reset to default than hitting reboot?

A simple reboot (from the wall) will grab the new config file if it is available

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

Sometimes the latter is needed. Try both, whatever works.

Paraniod

@comcast.net

Yeah, I bet there will be a lot of powercycling/resetting being done tonight/tomorrow....

AnonMan

@comcast.net

FYI if you are lazy like me and modem is on other side of the house just call the automated system, hit option 1 for trouble and hit the option to send a refresh signal

This will re-send config info and reboot the modem hah.

I thought was a link on the website also but couldn't find again.

That said, this sure seems like a good way to piss off someone you know that has service and you know they phone number lol.

aabaaf

Lombard, IL
reply to mario02423

Nothing yet here in Chicago. Some areas in CA, are reporting that they are, or are starting to see the change.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

Rebooted modem and there it is.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.168.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11164 Kbps.
Downstream: 124950 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 10938 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 54544 Kbps.

Its like a cheeta with a jet pack on it's back!
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

aabaaf

Lombard, IL

Reboot modem, making sure if you have a battery pack to remove it too. Once you reboot and let everything come back up the new speeds, if you were on Blast 25, are now 50 at least for myself here in Chicago Burbs.

boehmb

join:2003-04-21
Glenview, IL
reply to jkj860

Got the new speeds in Glenview

DanM64

join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

Got it in the SW suburbs on the Romeoville headend! I'm on the Blast package.