plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross

Re: [Speed] Chicago speed changes

Not seeing a change here yet. I'm on Performance, so I figured I would see PowerBoost go away.

Below is a ShaperProbe output before I did any reboots

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.251.175.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4289 Kbps.
Downstream: 17288 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 3642-3722 KB;
Shaping rate: 2128 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 16912 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

I then powered off my router (pfsense box), and then disconnected the ac power to my cable modem (Arris TM722G) and also removed the battery. Waited 1 full minute and then put the battery back in, and powered up the cable modem. Once things were up (all lights normal), I then powered up my PFSense box.

Here is the ShaperProbe results after doing that. As you can see, I'm still seeing both Upstream and Downstream shaping rates.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.106.70.149.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4711 Kbps.
Downstream: 25266 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 6999-7091 KB;
Shaping rate: 2090 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 8687-9196 KB;
Shaping rate: 15829 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

I'll try again later today and let everyone know.

--Brian

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
I got my upgrade

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
the connection should be perfect at any price/tier.
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL

slk2k to andyross

to andyross
I am (was? - more on that later) on the Ultra Tier in Aurora, and after rebooting the modem, I am still at the same speeds. I believe I too am serviced off the romeoville center.

I did contact sales and 1) they confirmed blast in chicagoland is getting the new speed and 2) that I am currently showing as Blast tier (bill a few days ago shows Ultra). Will try again later on in the day (another modem reboot). I have a zoom docsis 3 "J" series modem connected to a pfsense firewall - all endpoints in my home network is GigE including the pfsense box so that's not the issue ...

nodwnld
@comcast.net

nodwnld

Anon

seems i got the upload side upgrade but still only downloading at 20mbps im on blast hanner park il
dniksich
join:2012-05-23
Gary, IN

1 edit

dniksich to andyross

to andyross
Hummmm, I got the dl increase but my ul is the same

Checked my modem signals and noticed 2 of the 3 upstream channels show T4 timeout?
aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

aabaaf to andyross

to andyross
Those on Performance will have to wait till later on to receive the upgrade, last I saw quoted was early April, although could happen sooner, then again could happen later. Only those on the previous Blast, and Extreme 50 tiers should see a change today, or soon, if there is a problem. The 105 tiers are supposed to go down to the old 50 price points, just like they did in the North East when they did same upgrade a year or so ago there.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

Yes, I got the Blast! upgrade today. Interesting, though, the modem doesn't show a new config file coming in.

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 1332.png
aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

aabaaf to andyross

to andyross
As stated by others who received this last year in the NE, the names didn't change. Just the parameters. In Other Words, Blast is now 50, instead of 20/30, Extreme 50 is now 105, 105 is 105, same name, just changed the programming/gating to allow for the faster speeds. Easier that way for the systems. That way the sales, and other tech support teams don't have to learn new terms. They just need to know what the new speeds are for those names. Also the computer system itself at Comcast, it's easier for them to tell it that Blast now equals 50, than to create a hole either name, and get it properly added to all the packages, etc...... And not have people calling in saying, I used to have BLAST, but now I have speeds of negative 2, only to find out that the "new" speed name, that is now part of their Triple Play package doesn't want to play nicely, thus creating all kinds of TS nightmares.
mario02423
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

Good call, aabaaf See Profile, thanks for that!

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to mario02423

Premium Member

to mario02423
said by mario02423:

Yes, I got the Blast! upgrade today. Interesting, though, the modem doesn't show a new config file coming in.

These days the modem speeds are no longer directly controlled at the modem level by the config file. The config files now point to the different speed configurations that exist on the CMTS. They can program any config file to point to whichever the desired provisioned speeds are for the particular subscriber. The naming convention of the boot file does not have to be changed.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

1 edit

dfxmatt to andyross

to andyross
also, for those of you who are on blast, there is a promotion of extreme @ blast price for 6 months. Not bad considering extreme will = 100mb down and how fast upstream (after the upgrade)?

For those of you who say you never paid the higher price, do you just call at the end of the promotion and ask immediately for whatever is the current promotion? Or do you have to get to retentions, etc?
mario02423
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

said by dfxmatt:

there is a promotion of extreme @ blast price for 6 months

The only promotion I've ever seen was Extreme 105 at 99.95/mo now, but it requires the install, and Extreme 50 for $79.95, but it requires some other service at regular price. I was looking at almost doubling my bill just to get Extreme 50 and the TV service that I already have.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Latest ads I heard today said that they had doubled the speeds of their two fastest tiers, and "would soon increase speeds on our most popular tier by 60%." Unlike the other speeds, Performance is basically getting permanent Powerboost. I wonder if a reboot would even be required.
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
Aurora, IL

slk2k

said by slk2k:

I am (was? - more on that later) on the Ultra Tier in Aurora, and after rebooting the modem, I am still at the same speeds. I believe I too am serviced off the romeoville center.

I did contact sales and 1) they confirmed blast in chicagoland is getting the new speed and 2) that I am currently showing as Blast tier (bill a few days ago shows Ultra). Will try again later on in the day (another modem reboot). I have a zoom docsis 3 "J" series modem connected to a pfsense firewall - all endpoints in my home network is GigE including the pfsense box so that's not the issue ...

6+ hours later - nada. Still on the Ultra Tier speeds. Will give it more time. Perhaps my part of Chicagoland just hasn't been rolled out to yet.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by slk2k:

6+ hours later - nada. Still on the Ultra Tier speeds. Will give it more time. Perhaps my part of Chicagoland just hasn't been rolled out to yet.

When the speed upgrades were deployed in the NE, Ultra users got no speed increase. The two I knew ended up upgrading to Blast.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to slk2k

Premium Member

to slk2k
Double post.
EG

EG to slk2k

Premium Member

to slk2k
said by slk2k:

To my knowledge, when on Ultra, you need to actually change / upgrade your subscribed to speed tier otherwise you remain *grandfathered* in at 22/5.
asciirider
Premium Member
join:2000-07-25
Chicago, IL

1 edit

asciirider to nodwnld

Premium Member

to nodwnld
Same here. Maybe because it's because I'm running wireless G? However when I try switching to N, only getting 750K downloads.

Both my router nad wireless adapter are N rated, however downstairs only has G, so I usually use mixed. I'd try from the RJ45, but that fried a year ago.

trebacz
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Fountain Hills, AZ
ARRIS SB6141

trebacz to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
Looks like I'm there in McHenry, IL. Hit the reset on my ARRIS TM722 (did not remove battery or restart router). Ran shaperprobe (I'm on blast tier). Seeing upgraded speed as of a few moments ago...

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.138.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11157 Kbps.
Downstream: 93063 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 10938 Kbps.

Median received rate: 52938 Kbps.
mario02423
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

I don't think she was supposed to tell me this, but I did the "well, Extreme 50 is the same speed as Extreme 105, so why upgrade?" question, and the representative told me, just now, that it will jump to at least 200Mbps and probably 305Mbps in the Chicagoland area this summer. Apparently flyers just started circulating at the sales desks...

mike5026
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Rockford, IL

mike5026 to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
Changed here in Rockford, IL

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.202.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11147 Kbps.
Downstream: 97589 Kbps.

Median received rate: 11050 Kbps.

Median received rate: 54469 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
Aurora, IL

slk2k to EG

to EG
said by EG:

To my knowledge, when on Ultra, you need to actually change / upgrade your subscribed to speed tier otherwise you remain *grandfathered* in at 22/5.

In my previous post, I stated that I previously discussed this with Sales and they said I was "already" on Blast (which I thought was odd since my bill a week before said I was on Ultra). I asked if that really was true and they said "all I see is that you are currently on Blast".

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI
Hitron EN2251
Ubiquiti AmpliFi Alien

2 edits

1 recommendation

Defiance to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross

DuMeter Graph
I think McHenry, IL got the upgrade. I used to get 65/15 now I'm getting 105/20. I have the Extreme 50 package and now it looks to be 105/20.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.142.234.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 21596 Kbps.
Downstream: 113108 Kbps.

Median received rate: 21168 Kbps.

Median received rate: 106138 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 5422.png
tomas67
join:2006-10-14
Villa Park, IL

tomas67

Yep down in lombard »stage.results.speedtest. ··· 1402.png

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Who is the competition in IL? I'm curious why Comcast decided it was the place to start these speed upgrades.
mario02423
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

said by pflog:

Who is the competition in IL? I'm curious why Comcast decided it was the place to start these speed upgrades.

In city? RCN is a big one (up to 75 for $60 and no contract). AT&T is everywhere, especially in the suburbs where they'll bundle with Dish network to do internet/TV/phone.

bjohnson33
@comcast.net

bjohnson33 to pflog

Anon

to pflog
They specifically name U-verse in the radio ads. AT&T is probably making inroads with their video product and Comcast sees download speed on the HSI side as a key firewall to additional subscriber attrition.
MWags83
join:2013-01-02

MWags83 to Defiance

to Defiance
said by Defiance:

I think McHenry, IL got the upgrade. I used to get 65/15 now I'm getting 105/20. I have the Extreme 50 package and now it looks to be 105/20.

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 5422.png

Really? I have Blast out here in Crystal Lake, still getting my old speeds after a modem reset. Frustrating!

robot
join:2003-07-02
Darien, IL

robot to mario02423

to mario02423
There are still some parts of Chicagoland that don't have Uverse. For example, many parts of Darien don't.