The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to mario02423

Re: [Speed] Chicago speed changes

said by mario02423:

Yes, I got the Blast! upgrade today. Interesting, though, the modem doesn't show a new config file coming in.

These days the modem speeds are no longer directly controlled at the modem level by the config file. The config files now point to the different speed configurations that exist on the CMTS. They can program any config file to point to whichever the desired provisioned speeds are for the particular subscriber. The naming convention of the boot file does not have to be changed.

dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL

1 edit
reply to andyross

also, for those of you who are on blast, there is a promotion of extreme @ blast price for 6 months. Not bad considering extreme will = 100mb down and how fast upstream (after the upgrade)?

For those of you who say you never paid the higher price, do you just call at the end of the promotion and ask immediately for whatever is the current promotion? Or do you have to get to retentions, etc?

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dfxmatt:

there is a promotion of extreme @ blast price for 6 months

The only promotion I've ever seen was Extreme 105 at 99.95/mo now, but it requires the install, and Extreme 50 for $79.95, but it requires some other service at regular price. I was looking at almost doubling my bill just to get Extreme 50 and the TV service that I already have.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to andyross

Latest ads I heard today said that they had doubled the speeds of their two fastest tiers, and "would soon increase speeds on our most popular tier by 60%." Unlike the other speeds, Performance is basically getting permanent Powerboost. I wonder if a reboot would even be required.

slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth

join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL
reply to slk2k

said by slk2k:

I am (was? - more on that later) on the Ultra Tier in Aurora, and after rebooting the modem, I am still at the same speeds. I believe I too am serviced off the romeoville center.

I did contact sales and 1) they confirmed blast in chicagoland is getting the new speed and 2) that I am currently showing as Blast tier (bill a few days ago shows Ultra). Will try again later on in the day (another modem reboot). I have a zoom docsis 3 "J" series modem connected to a pfsense firewall - all endpoints in my home network is GigE including the pfsense box so that's not the issue ...

6+ hours later - nada. Still on the Ultra Tier speeds. Will give it more time. Perhaps my part of Chicagoland just hasn't been rolled out to yet.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by slk2k:

6+ hours later - nada. Still on the Ultra Tier speeds. Will give it more time. Perhaps my part of Chicagoland just hasn't been rolled out to yet.

When the speed upgrades were deployed in the NE, Ultra users got no speed increase. The two I knew ended up upgrading to Blast.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to slk2k

Double post.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to slk2k

said by slk2k:

To my knowledge, when on Ultra, you need to actually change / upgrade your subscribed to speed tier otherwise you remain *grandfathered* in at 22/5.

asciirider
Premium
join:2000-07-25
Chicago, IL

1 edit
reply to nodwnld

Same here. Maybe because it's because I'm running wireless G? However when I try switching to N, only getting 750K downloads.

Both my router nad wireless adapter are N rated, however downstairs only has G, so I usually use mixed. I'd try from the RJ45, but that fried a year ago.

trebacz
Premium
join:2003-01-03
Mchenry, IL
reply to andyross

Looks like I'm there in McHenry, IL. Hit the reset on my ARRIS TM722 (did not remove battery or restart router). Ran shaperprobe (I'm on blast tier). Seeing upgraded speed as of a few moments ago...

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.138.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11157 Kbps.
Downstream: 93063 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 10938 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 52938 Kbps.

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

I don't think she was supposed to tell me this, but I did the "well, Extreme 50 is the same speed as Extreme 105, so why upgrade?" question, and the representative told me, just now, that it will jump to at least 200Mbps and probably 305Mbps in the Chicagoland area this summer. Apparently flyers just started circulating at the sales desks...

mike5026
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Rockford, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

Changed here in Rockford, IL

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.202.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11147 Kbps.
Downstream: 97589 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 11050 Kbps.

Median received rate: 54469 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth

join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL
reply to EG

said by EG:

To my knowledge, when on Ultra, you need to actually change / upgrade your subscribed to speed tier otherwise you remain *grandfathered* in at 22/5.

In my previous post, I stated that I previously discussed this with Sales and they said I was "already" on Blast (which I thought was odd since my bill a week before said I was on Ultra). I asked if that really was true and they said "all I see is that you are currently on Blast".

Defiance82
Computer Elite
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Burlington, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Comcast

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to andyross

DuMeter Graph
I think McHenry, IL got the upgrade. I used to get 65/15 now I'm getting 105/20. I have the Extreme 50 package and now it looks to be 105/20.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.142.234.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 21596 Kbps.
Downstream: 113108 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 21168 Kbps.

Median received rate: 106138 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···5422.png
--
Affordable Web-Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Ventrilo, & Teamspeak services since 1999 @ »www.deadlyservers.com

tomas67

join:2006-10-14
Villa Park, IL

Yep down in lombard »stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···1402.png

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Who is the competition in IL? I'm curious why Comcast decided it was the place to start these speed upgrades.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by pflog:

Who is the competition in IL? I'm curious why Comcast decided it was the place to start these speed upgrades.

In city? RCN is a big one (up to 75 for $60 and no contract). AT&T is everywhere, especially in the suburbs where they'll bundle with Dish network to do internet/TV/phone.

bjohnson33

@comcast.net
reply to pflog

They specifically name U-verse in the radio ads. AT&T is probably making inroads with their video product and Comcast sees download speed on the HSI side as a key firewall to additional subscriber attrition.

MWags83

join:2013-01-02
reply to Defiance82

said by Defiance82:

I think McHenry, IL got the upgrade. I used to get 65/15 now I'm getting 105/20. I have the Extreme 50 package and now it looks to be 105/20.

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···5422.png

Really? I have Blast out here in Crystal Lake, still getting my old speeds after a modem reset. Frustrating!

robot

join:2003-07-02
Palos Hills, IL
reply to mario02423

There are still some parts of Chicagoland that don't have Uverse. For example, many parts of Darien don't.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5
reply to andyross

My brother in law has a SB5101 modem, and on blast! will he get the speeds? I thought he needs a D3 modem..?
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to andyross

You need a D3 modem, since the speeds are achieved by channel bonding, which D2 can't do.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to andyross

Also unsure how to quote articles from the main page, but there is an article there outlining how and when Comcast is doing the upgrades. The last sentence mentions when those on Performance will be upgraded, which as it says is April/May.

DanM64

join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL
reply to robot

The section of Mokena/New Lenox I live in doesn't have U-Verse either, the "fastest" DSL offered here is 3./512k. Pathetic. I'm VERY glad Comcast upped our speeds.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

AT&T has U-Verse in some areas, with DSL in more.
In the City, RCN is another cable company.
Some suburbs also have WOW cable.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to aabaaf

said by aabaaf:

Also unsure how to quote articles from the main page, but there is an article there outlining how and when Comcast is doing the upgrades. The last sentence mentions when those on Performance will be upgraded, which as it says is April/May.

Here is the quote from the main page

said by Karl Bode:

Many of these markets will be seeing Comcast's 300 Mbps tier, though according to the source the tier is more about bragging rights than anything else -- and isn't heavily marketed to consumers. Many of these same markets won't be seeing the Performance tier boost from 12/2 Mbps to 25/4 Mbps until April or May

I was going to reboot my router and cable modem again today, but now I'll wait till sometime in May.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

MrWhsprs
Premium
join:2000-04-22
Round Lake, IL
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

AT&T has U-Verse in some areas, with DSL in more.
In the City, RCN is another cable company.
Some suburbs also have WOW cable.

FYI: RCN is available in Skokie, also. My wife and I live in Skokie and we have RCN (25/2, I think it is) for about $40/mo.
--
Mike

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to aabaaf

said by aabaaf:

You need a D3 modem, since the speeds are achieved by channel bonding, which D2 can't do.

A current single downstream cable channel can provide about 38 Mbps max. For the Blast tier that is now being upgraded to 50 Mbps download, DOCSIS 3 is *required*.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit
reply to andyross

Naperville got the bump. I had to reset the modem. My speeds are 95/22 using Xfinity speedtest. I'll post the shaperprobe in a bit.

Shaperprobe says no shaping going on. I don't see it in real world uploading and downloading either. Powerboost is now dead.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

FSugino
VIP
join:2001-12-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 edit
reply to andyross

Just rebooted my modem (Arris TM822) and now I'm getting the faster speeds on the Boost tier. Previously I topped out around 36/5.5 Mbps.