Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross

Re: [Speed] Chicago speed changes

My brother in law has a SB5101 modem, and on blast! will he get the speeds? I thought he needs a D3 modem..?
aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

aabaaf to andyross

to andyross
You need a D3 modem, since the speeds are achieved by channel bonding, which D2 can't do.
aabaaf

aabaaf to andyross

to andyross
Also unsure how to quote articles from the main page, but there is an article there outlining how and when Comcast is doing the upgrades. The last sentence mentions when those on Performance will be upgraded, which as it says is April/May.
DanM64
join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL

DanM64 to robot

to robot
The section of Mokena/New Lenox I live in doesn't have U-Verse either, the "fastest" DSL offered here is 3./512k. Pathetic. I'm VERY glad Comcast upped our speeds.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to pflog

MVM

to pflog
said by pflog:

Who is the competition in IL? I'm curious why Comcast decided it was the place to start these speed upgrades.

AT&T has U-Verse in some areas, with DSL in more.
In the City, RCN is another cable company.
Some suburbs also have WOW cable.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to aabaaf

Premium Member

to aabaaf
said by aabaaf:

Also unsure how to quote articles from the main page, but there is an article there outlining how and when Comcast is doing the upgrades. The last sentence mentions when those on Performance will be upgraded, which as it says is April/May.

Here is the quote from the main page
said by Karl Bode:

Many of these markets will be seeing Comcast's 300 Mbps tier, though according to the source the tier is more about bragging rights than anything else -- and isn't heavily marketed to consumers. Many of these same markets won't be seeing the Performance tier boost from 12/2 Mbps to 25/4 Mbps until April or May

I was going to reboot my router and cable modem again today, but now I'll wait till sometime in May.

--Brian

MrWhsprs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-22
Round Lake, IL

MrWhsprs to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

AT&T has U-Verse in some areas, with DSL in more.
In the City, RCN is another cable company.
Some suburbs also have WOW cable.

FYI: RCN is available in Skokie, also. My wife and I live in Skokie and we have RCN (25/2, I think it is) for about $40/mo.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to aabaaf

Premium Member

to aabaaf
said by aabaaf:

You need a D3 modem, since the speeds are achieved by channel bonding, which D2 can't do.

A current single downstream cable channel can provide about 38 Mbps max. For the Blast tier that is now being upgraded to 50 Mbps download, DOCSIS 3 is *required*.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 edit

67845017 (banned) to andyross

to andyross
Naperville got the bump. I had to reset the modem. My speeds are 95/22 using Xfinity speedtest. I'll post the shaperprobe in a bit.

Shaperprobe says no shaping going on. I don't see it in real world uploading and downloading either. Powerboost is now dead.
FSugino
join:2001-12-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 edit

FSugino to andyross

to andyross
Just rebooted my modem (Arris TM822) and now I'm getting the faster speeds on the Boost tier. Previously I topped out around 36/5.5 Mbps.

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI
Hitron EN2251
Ubiquiti AmpliFi Alien

Defiance to MWags83

Premium Member

to MWags83
said by MWags83:

said by Defiance:

I think McHenry, IL got the upgrade. I used to get 65/15 now I'm getting 105/20. I have the Extreme 50 package and now it looks to be 105/20.

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 5422.png

Really? I have Blast out here in Crystal Lake, still getting my old speeds after a modem reset. Frustrating!

Do you have a D3 modem? You may need it to get the speeds. If you lease your modem I would go to the local office in McHenry or one that is closer to Crystal Lake not sure if there is one.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

But, to be honest, outside of a business, who really needs some of these speeds? It's reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Yeah, this whole thing gets a big eye-roll from me. I'm on Performance, have no need for 25Mbps, and would just like my price to stay under $50. I'd take a 10% cut in my bandwidth for a 10% cut on my Internet charges at this point. There ought to be something between the Really Bloody Fa$t Tier (Extreme 105) and the What A Friggin' Joke Tier (Economy Plus). I'd gladly take 12/2 at $42.95.
fartman1234
join:2002-10-14
Hanover Park, IL

fartman1234 to andyross

to andyross
Why are speed test not showing correct speed yet my real download do seem to have upgrade?

asciirider
Premium Member
join:2000-07-25
Chicago, IL

asciirider to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
After playing with my connection and getting wireless n working right, finally getting the new speeds as I should.

robot
join:2003-07-02
Darien, IL

robot to andyross

to andyross
Did anyone on the Performance 20/4 (or 25/4) tier get the upgrade yet?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to Defiance

Premium Member

to Defiance
said by Defiance:

said by MWags83:

said by Defiance:

I think McHenry, IL got the upgrade. I used to get 65/15 now I'm getting 105/20. I have the Extreme 50 package and now it looks to be 105/20.

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 5422.png

Really? I have Blast out here in Crystal Lake, still getting my old speeds after a modem reset. Frustrating!

Do you have a D3 modem? You may need it to get the speeds. If you lease your modem I would go to the local office in McHenry or one that is closer to Crystal Lake not sure if there is one.

There is a Comcast office in Carpentersville as well

SungYungGuy
@comcast.net

SungYungGuy

Anon

After a reboot, now have 50~55M down, but only ~5M up.

NW burbs.

devnull
@comcast.net

devnull to andyross

Anon

to andyross

115.98/21.4
I'm in Naperville with Extreme 50.. Moto 6141 modem. Previously I was seeing about 65/15 on speedtest. After restart this morning it is 115.98/21.4.. Very pleased.

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm to andyross

MVM

to andyross
I just signed up with Comcast last week on the 20/4 package. Apparently I only have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem so a 3.0 is being shipped to me tomorrow.

What should the 20/4 be going to?
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to andyross

to andyross
Just moved from the old legacy Ultra tier to Extreme in the north burbs. No increases after several modem reboots and finally had to reset the modem for things to catch (SB6121).

Could be the routers packet management (Mikrotik), but so far speeds from Xfinity and Speedtest sites no better than 86/19 wired.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to gdm

MVM

to gdm
said by gdm:

I just signed up with Comcast last week on the 20/4 package. Apparently I only have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem so a 3.0 is being shipped to me tomorrow.

What should the 20/4 be going to?

Performance is actually 15/2. 20/4 (I usually see 24/4) is the Powerboost speed. The new speed will be 25/5.

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

This is what it shows and what I have for my area. I'll have to see what happens when I get the DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

So far I can't get above 260 KB/s on s sustained upload. More than 20 megs in size.

cmslick3
join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL

cmslick3 to andyross

to andyross
With the speed upgrades going on does anyone know if the Business Class customers will be seeing an increase as well? I have BC service at my home for work and I wouldn't mike betting a little higher speed. I'm currently running at 20/4.

I am in Joliet on the far east side almost to New Lenox.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by cmslick3:

With the speed upgrades going on does anyone know if the Business Class customers will be seeing an increase as well? I have BC service at my home for work and I wouldn't mike betting a little higher speed. I'm currently running at 20/4.

I am in Joliet on the far east side almost to New Lenox.

No one knows as of now, but seeing as how they just DID do a (less significant and also not free) speed upgrade:

12/2 -> 17/3
22/5 -> 27/7

I'm not holding my breath...
september
join:2003-05-06
Chicago, IL

september

I am currently on the 20/4 Performance w/ Powerboost plan here in Chicago. What will they increase my speed to? When?
killj0y
join:2013-02-08
Rockford, IL

killj0y to andyross

to andyross

Rockford, IL - I'm waiting on my D3.0 emta to come in the mail. I'm on the Burst! plan. FYI: if anyone else has the triple play, they said that they are not able to exchange EMTAs at the local office at this time for whatever reason(maybe E911?). I currently have a DHG535, I chatted on the online support and they sent a new one out yesterday for me.

I found out when I power cycled and my uploads went from 5mbit to 11mbit, so I'll report back with real speeds in 3-5 days :P
jafo1972
join:2004-04-15
Chicago, IL

jafo1972

Did the Blast tier also get an upgraded speed? I'm currently at 17Mb down and 6Mb up.
september
join:2003-05-06
Chicago, IL

september

Yes, reset the modem.
jafo1972
join:2004-04-15
Chicago, IL

jafo1972

How do you reset it? I disconnected the power chord and connected it back and I still get the same speeds.
jafo1972

jafo1972

I checked my modem. It's a MOTOROLA SBV5220 and it seems this modem is only Docsys 2.0. I guess I need to upgrade it in order to get the faster speeds. I will call Comcast this weekend.