Search similar:

uniqs
fredbergy
join:2013-02-19
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

Problem with pap2t-na behind a dlink DIR615

Hi folks!

I've been using voip for about 3 years now. Everything was fine when i was using my old linksys pap2 plugged directly to my cable modem and then to my router... But it die couple month ago... :-(

My voip company send a linksys pap2t-na as a replacement for it. As this ata is not a router i change my setup as follow : cable modem to my router and one output of the router to the pap2.

So here is all it start!

This is a tricky problem as my ata connect with the server no problem, the tone is there, if someone call the phone ring, if i call someone the call ring...

The big problem is i can't speak with someone more then 5-10min approx... Each time i still heard my interlocutor but he can't heard me...

It's a lot annoying because i have to phone back again and again and started use my cell phone when i want to be safe!!!

I tryed to reboot everything, to plug the ata directly to my modem but it not worked... (probably because it's not a router...), put the ata in a dmz on my router...

For now i'm a bit screwed.... Can it be the dlink router the problem??? If i change my router for a linksys router can it solve my problem????

Thanks a lot ahead of time for your response!

Fred
slow mo
join:2002-03-19
USA

1 edit

slow mo

Try uncheck "Enable SPI" in Firewall Settings under Advanced tab of your DIR-615.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to fredbergy

MVM

to fredbergy
See if there is a SIP/ALG option somewhere in the router settings, and disable it. I would also update the router firmware to the latest version.

With the ATA behind the router, instead of in front of it, you will have to monitor internet usage more closely. If your usage is hitting the line limits, your call quality is going to be terrible.
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

I disabled Spi as slow mo tell me. I checked for the sip/alg and in my router in the section named application level gateway i have four box that are checked : PPTP ; IP Sec (vpn) ; RTSP ; SIP.

So i just need to uncheck sip?
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip

I would uncheck SIP. Make sure you have the last firmware I saw reports the upgrade fixed voip problems.
I you have an working configuration I would suggest to enable SPI at the end to see if it's still working.
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

Ok i will uncheck sip and see what happen! For the firmware i am on 5.10 version and when i check by clicking check for a newer version it said it has the lastest firmware....

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

1 edit

dcurrey to fredbergy

Premium Member

to fredbergy
Can you change pap2 setting. Set NAT keep alive to 10 seconds. Set the STUN server up.
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

Yeah i try to put the pap2t in dmz without sucess..

I will check in the pap2 setting!

What is NAT and stun server parameter are for?

Thanks a lot guys for your comments it's really appreciated!

Hope to let this work again!

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Ok you got me. I removed the dmz option in my thread after I reread you already tried that.

The NAT keep alive more or less just pings the server to keep session active. By default link routers close UDP connections after 300 seconds. If you on the phone active traffic should be passed so this shouldn't be the problem.

Stun not sure how exactly it works but its function is to allow devices to get correct pubic ip addresses when its behind a NAT router. Sorry I am getting little rusty on this sort of stuff.

What is confusing is if the ATA is directly plugged into cable modem it should pull public IP and none of this would be issue. Of course you have no other devices at this point. But then it didn't work that way either
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

I tryed to plug it directly to my cable modem but the pap2t hasn't connect to the server... (the phone 1 green led hasn't light up...)

After read a bit it's not a router and have to be plugged in a router...

My older pap2 was a router...

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624 to fredbergy

Anon

to fredbergy
said by fredbergy:

So i just need to uncheck sip?

Yes, as shown on the simulator (emulator):
»support.dlink.com/emulat ··· _dmz.htm
conwaytwt
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Conway, AR

conwaytwt to fredbergy

Premium Member

to fredbergy
one site indicates disabling SIP ALG is absolutely necessary for Voip (at least on their service)

»www.easyofficephone.com/ ··· k_dir615

But it sounds like you may also have a config issue with your telephone adapter.
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

For now i unchecked Unable spi in firewall setting and unchecked sip in alg setting....

I will see what happen... If it dont work i dont know if it can other thing in the router that can be changed???

I will start to check in the ata side... (that have been pre-programmed by my ip phone provider...)

Thanks!
fredbergy

fredbergy

Ok fast update!!!

As soon that i unchecked sip in alg setting i lost the line (no more tone and phone 1 green led...)

So i check it back and after rebooting the router my phone was up again....

It is normal???

So for now i spi still unchecked...
fredbergy

fredbergy

Ok, i just use my phone and after 20min approx the same problem came back.... The interlocutor not hear me anymore, but i still heard him...

So i have to call back to be able to speak to him again...

Hmmm so the sip setting is not the problem?

So as dcurrey said i will check in the ata for nat and stun setting as it said..
fredbergy

fredbergy

Just asking, it will be more easier to buy another router???

Linksys router seem to be more compatible with voip....

It is a right impression???

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

I have been using a dlink dir-655 with voip for years. Several different firmwares. Only change I madei was to turn off SIP ALG. Have had few different firmwares on it all of them work just fine.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to fredbergy

to fredbergy
To determine whether this is a router issue, test again with the device connected directly to the cable modem. Whenever you change the device connected to a cable modem, the modem must be rebooted. If your modem has an "off" or standby switch, that's not good enough -- you must power cycle the device.

Remove AC power from both modem and PAP2T. Connect an Ethernet cable from PAP2T to modem. Power up modem and wait for it to come ready. Then, power up the PAP2T and wait for it to register. Make your test call.
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

Stewart i try it the way you say and the ata connect no problem and i've got a tone!

But as my setup is modem-->router--->ata

So if i plug my ata directly to my modem i don't have internet access in my home!!!

So i will wait to plug it that way before making a test call...

Can i use a switch between modem and ata to be able to plug my router (making the test and keeping internet access in my home)

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

The switch would work as long as you isp provides you with two public ip addresses. I know Time Warner cable here does or at least they used to furnish two ips,

This is just for testing purposes only. If it doesn't work connected directly to modem that rules out the router being the issue.

What type of cable modem is this?
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

I really don't know for the public ip... I'm connected with a local internet provider here in Quebec,canada...

My cable router is a motorola sb5120
slow mo
join:2002-03-19
USA

1 edit

slow mo

Click for full size
NAT and STUN settings in my PAP2T sip tab for your reference. Any public STUN server will do. Here is a list.
»www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/STUN
Scroll down to public STUN servers and pick one. NAT keep alive intcl can be 10.

Try that with SPI unchecked and make some test calls. Good luck.

P.S. I have Moto 5100, Dlink 524, and PAP2T. Don't have a problem.
mdseuss
join:2012-05-27
Worcester, MA

1 recommendation

mdseuss

SPI = scramble packets inconsistently

Turn that crap off.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

said by mdseuss:

SPI = scramble packets inconsistently

I love it!
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

I'm not too sure about the stun server...

I found on Cisco website how to plug a pap2t behind a linksys router and found that i have to open port on my router to my ata

Here is the link :

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 46.shtml

So i opened the port in my dlink...

Do you think it can solve my problem??

Anyway i will see what happen with that new port opened....
fredbergy

fredbergy

I'm not too sure about the stun server...

I found on Cisco website how to plug a pap2t behind a linksys router and found that i have to open port on my router to my ata

Here is the link :

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 46.shtml

So i opened the port in my dlink...

Do you think it can solve my problem??

Anyway i will see what happen with that new port opened....
fredbergy

fredbergy

I tryed pretty much everything to let it work but it don't....

I can't test for now plugging the ata directly to my modem but i'm 99% sure that the router is the problem... When i connect the ata directly to my modem it sync in about 5sec as when i do so behing the router it take about 30sec....

Can you confirm that ata with a integrated router is the best way to go for a non-assle experience? . (ata that have a wan and a lan connector, this way you can plug your ata directly to your modem and your router in the lan port of the ata)

I am looking right now to a grandstream HT-503, it will be a good choice???

Thanks!
mdseuss
join:2012-05-27
Worcester, MA

mdseuss

I would NOT advise following the advice of that Cisco article as it would appear to leave your SIP UDP port 5060 open to the world (and that is NOT a good thing, you will be scanned within hours and you will 'own' any weaknesses they might exploit on a public PAP2).

Why not pickup any OTHER cheap router, keep the packing material, and try it 'as-is'? If it doesn't work return it. The PAP2 is generally a good ATA if it isn't sitting behind a broken router. You should NOT have to explicitly open any ports if the router firmware is at least reasonably doing the right thing NAT/Firewall wise.

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624 to fredbergy

Anon

to fredbergy
said by fredbergy:

Can you confirm that ata with a integrated router is the best way to go for a non-hassle experience?

Many people do that, BUT you should be aware that doing so may make you less secure as far as SIP:

See this parallel thread going on today:
»Receiving calls from name/number 100 that don't get logged

Thought: Can you flash your current router with DD-WRT firmware to replace the manufacturer's firmware?

See:
»forums.dlink.com/index.p ··· =13599.0
fredbergy
Quebec, QC

fredbergy

But my router is in working condition as i use it for my internet connection!

Probably if my network knowledge was a bit deeper i would let it work well...

Before that ata i had a linksys rtp-300 with integrated router so my setup was modem-->ata-->router

Never had a problem with that setup...

So i'm pretty sure that if your ata is plugged right in your modem it will work!!

Is grandstream HT-503 will be a good choice??? It is a good company?

Do you have any other ata that are great and feature and integrated router? (wan and lan port)

Thanks a lot again for your help!!