spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mkstretch
join:2009-01-08
Levittown, NY

mkstretch

Hvac filter fit

One of my filters is a pain to put into place. It's the right size, which is 14x30x1. I have to bend it twist it just to get it in. This damages the card board sides of he filter and bends the filter it self. Is there anything I can do? I also have a 12x24x1, but its not as bad at the 14x30 filter.
Thanks

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc

Premium Member

Pics?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to mkstretch

MVM

to mkstretch
Couple of different ideas
1. Don't bend it.
2. Use two 14x15 filters. Or whatever combination that adds up to 14x30.
3. Put a support in the middle so that it can't bend.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

said by cdru:

2. Use two 14x15 filters. Or whatever combination that adds up to 14x30.

Unfortunately that solution costs 1.5 X more than a single size filter element does.

I'd deal with the wrinkled cardboard frame, when the blower comes on it sucks the whole filter assembly against the casing anyway. Even more so once it's a little "dirty"

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns to mkstretch

Premium Member

to mkstretch
Using Flanders air filters by chance? I have found with their Lowe's version of the 20x30 filter is cut larger. With their home depot version the sizing is right. When at the store, grab your usual filter and hold up against against other brands and see. I had about 2/8" size difference which was too much.
mkstretch
join:2009-01-08
Levittown, NY

mkstretch

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm using filtrete air filter which I buy from lowes.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Maybe the metal duct around the filter slot is bent and catches on the filter like a hook.

I had that problem where a piece of metal would rip through the filter's fibers when I pushed it in. I went in with a flashlight and a long steel stick to bend the piece of metal out of the way.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to mkstretch

MVM

to mkstretch
As DataDoc suggested, pics might help.

That said, I would be looking at the return box construction in that area. From past experiences, I have had to remove or push back the insulation in order to see better if the return box has been deformed, possibly due to someone leaning on sheet metal. In a previous home, the filter channel was attached to the return box with self tapping screws from top down into channel. The pointed end of screw was pertruding into channel causing card board filter to catch on screw. I removed the screws and riveted the filter channel upwards into return box.