Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to mikev

Re: Anyone have IPv6 on Verzion Land Line?

said by mikev:

Should this surprise me? Because it doesn't.

Please explain why you feel that way.

Thanks.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by mikev:

Should this surprise me? Because it doesn't.

Please explain why you feel that way.

Thanks.

Partly because it's Verizon.

But also partly because an implementation of IPv6 for millions of users across geographically diverse areas is no simple feat. First, they need to make sure that all of THEIR hardware is compatible. Routers, gateways, TV equipment, MDU equipment, etc. Anything that they monitor over their network to ensure everything is working properly also falls into that category. Anything that isn't needs to be upgraded, requiring procurement, configuration, and installation of new hardware, which of course needs to happen at times that impact we the end users the least (overnight).

Then they move onto end-user equipment. Millions of MDU's, ONT's, STB's, routers... firmware updates may need to be done for things that are capable of supporting IPv6... software development, testing, rollout... It takes time to do all of this properly. End-user items that aren't capable need to be replaced/upgraded. It's possible that replacement of end-user equipment could be delayed until after implementing IPv6 on the network, since IPv4 would still be running at the same time. But this also costs money, so they need to be ready to spend the money needed for new customer hardware to be installed.

And then there's the actual "flipping the switch". New configurations for the equipment that make IPv6 happen need to be tested and implemented. Technicians need to be on-hand and ready to resolve any issues that arise in order to ensure minimal downtime. Support staff need to also be able to handle calls/chat sessions if end-users do have problems. Oh, and they'll also probably need to go through training on this too.

Everything here costs money. New hardware... software development and rollout... configuration testing and implemtation... training of employees... extra hours/employees to maintain service levels. Verizon's focus on FiOS has been more on signing up new customers and getting existing customers to upgrade to more expensive services, in order to keep up the bottom line. So it wouldn't surprise me if they slowed down the IPv6 plans in order to save some money. But they wouldn't tell us about this, of course.

So with everything that needs to be done for this kind of implementation, it doesn't surprise me at all that they missed the date that they set.

It DOES surprise me that it still isn't implemented though, now almost 5 months after Q3 2012 ended.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

said by mikev:

It DOES surprise me that it still isn't implemented though, now almost 5 months after Q3 2012 ended.

One of my contacts inside says it is a complete fustercluck because of IPv4 devices in the mix that simply will not work. Yes, VZ could roll it out sooner if they could tell customers "fawgeddabowt any of your legacy v4 stuff...including pre-4.2 Android devices." Customers would not take that well.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by DC DSL:

said by mikev:

One of my contacts inside says it is a complete fustercluck because of IPv4 devices in the mix that simply will not work. Yes, VZ could roll it out sooner if they could tell customers "fawgeddabowt any of your legacy v4 stuff...including pre-4.2 Android devices." Customers would not take that well.

Tell those people who think that, clearly on »www22.verizon.com/Support/Reside···8742.htm it says
quote:
To best serve our customers during this time, Verizon is rolling out IPv6 address space in a "dual stack" mode – where IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are both loaded. The company will maintain IPv4 for those servers continuing to use that standard, and IPv6 for servers using this latest standard. The dual stack approach applies to both existing and new Verizon customers.

they don't need to turn off IPv4, yet. Geez...
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

You, of all people here, knows that what is posted for public consumption is for show and not necessarily what's actually happening on the ground. If v4 wifi printers, TVs, tablets or phones can't connect or work reliably, it's a show stopper. Yeah they could roll it out with the known issues but that will cost more to clean up after the fact than taking the extra time for a clean deployment. VZ does not want any large-scale problems tarnishing their premium product.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."