cdweber83
Premium Member
join:2001-02-21
Lincoln University, PA

1 edit

cdweber83

Premium Member

Smoothwall Firewall/Router and Verizon FiOS

First off I do know the basics of Networking. Anything advanced im lost so I need answers easy to understand but im not a complete novice and going in blind. Anyway.... My question is about using Verizon FiOS Modem/Router with my own Router/Firewall (Smoothwall). All I did was turn off Wireless on Verizons Router and plugged my smoothwall right into the LAN port. Internet works through the smoothwall and I have access to the Verizon Router via 192.168.1.1 and to my smoothwall via 192.168.0.1. Both run DHCP and Verizons Router is set at defaults. My setup is this: (internet)-coax-(Verizon Router)-ethernet-(Smoothwall Router)-ethernet-(switch)-ethernet-(Logitech Revue)and(access point)-wireless-(Laptop, Printer, Phone, Tablet).

Now the real question is, is this the best way for max security? Will two Routers working as routers cause any conflicts? How do I know my Routing and Firewall is being handled by smoothwall and not bypassed to Verizons Router? I have seen others bridge the routers and turn off DHCP on Verizons Router but that seems to make the STB for TV stop working...

Maybe Relevant info: DHCP on smoothwall is 192.168.0.100 - ".".0.200. Verizon is 192.168.1.2 - ".".1.254. My access Point is static ip 192.168.0.227. netmask as smoothwall calls it is 255.255.255.0 Verizons subnet mask is the same. Verizons Router still has to work as a router because as I understand the STB for TV pulls its data from the Router via the coax cable... however the STB does have a ethernet port on the back.

If you need more info just let me know what you need.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Your described setup has both the Verizon router and Smoothwall acting as NAT routers. In most cases this will work fine, but a double NAT can make it difficult to troubleshoot NAT-sensitive services such as gaming and voip.

As you stated though, you may not have a choice with bundled services.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to cdweber83

MVM

to cdweber83
Second clarknova See Profile's comments about double NAT. If you plan to do anything more advanced like portforwarding,
VPN, etc. double NAT's a real killer. Security-wise, it's a tossup. The FiOS modem / router combo has a pretty
basic firewall and logging set; if you REALLY wanted to dig into securing and locking down your network from the WAN
and LAN side I'm sure smoothwall has ALOT more granular controls.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber to cdweber83

MVM

to cdweber83
What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Do you want the Smoothwall as your primary router?
That can be done. See the trade-offs of different router-router configurations with FIOS here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
said by cdweber83:

Will two Routers working as routers cause any conflicts?

Double NAT as previously mentioned.
said by cdweber83:

How do I know my Routing and Firewall is being handled by smoothwall and not bypassed to Verizons Router?

If the Smoothwall is behind the Actiontec (Actiontec LAN-to-Smoothwall WAN), Devices behind the Smoothwall are behind two firewalls. The Actiontec and the Smoothwall.
said by cdweber83:

I have seen others bridge the routers and turn off DHCP on Verizons Router but that seems to make the STB for TV stop working...

Not if it's done correctly. See the above trade-offs link.