spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

Localphone's DID sale.

Localphone has it's regular February DID sale with no sign up fees . Saves up to $ 10. depending on country.
Disclaimer : Just a customer, no affiliation of any kind.
steve1111
join:2009-09-23
Albany, NY

steve1111

I'm curious as to the wide discrepancy of prices. Why is it, for example, only 99 cents per month to rent a DID in the United Kingdom or the United States, yet 3 dollars per month in Canada and 10 dollars per month in Japan?

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624

Anon

said by steve1111:

Why is it, for example, only 99 cents per month to rent a DID in the United Kingdom or the United States, yet 3 dollars per month in Canada and 10 dollars per month in Japan?

Some of it may be competition.

There are various sources of free DID in the UK, indicating also that the DID provider can make some money from interconnection fees.

The same applies in the US. Free DID's from GoogleVoice, IPKall (Washington State numbers), CallCentric (NY numbers), VoxOx, partly supported by receipt of interconnect fees.

I don't know how the interconnect fees are in Canada, but clearly there is much less VoIP competition in general, and fewer ways to get a free number (Freephoneline being the main exception).

Likewise in Japan there is probably not much of a VoIP market, and the incumbent companies probably charge high fees to any competitor trying to lease phone numbers.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

I agree with that. But still, some price differnces are difficult to explain. For example, Localphone rents DIDs in the Czech republic for $ 5/month, while Voxbeam, which is a sister company of Localphone , rents the same DIDs for $ 1/month. Go figure.
Sometimes it can be complex to rent DID's in certain countries. I just ran on rocks with Localphone because they required all kinds of documentation. Even a government issued ID with the address printed on was not enough, they wanted current utility bills. So I gave up on that. Even tougher to get is a Swedish DID is where you need an actual Swedish SSN (!).
anveo
Premium Member
join:2010-02-08

anveo

Premium Member

Out of curiosity I checked their sale prices and it does not look like much of a sale to me. Some of our regular prices are lower than their sale prices. AnveoDirect.com prices are even lower.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

Well, they do not any special sale prices, just regular prices. The " sale" means waiver of sign up fees.
You are correct that SOME of their DID prices are higher than yours but many of them are lower ( that's why it is nice to have different providers!)
I pay for US, Netherlands and Belgium DID's a total of 2.99 unlimited. That would be 6.00$ with Anveo , am I correct?
Also their outgoing call costs, o.5 c for the US or 0.7 c for Germany are not that easy to beat.
But maybe you can tell me, since you are with the company, how difficult is Anveo with the proof of German address for German DID's?( look at my previous post)
anveo
Premium Member
join:2010-02-08

anveo

Premium Member

Local regulations in Germany are very strict.

To order a local number in Germany, a local address in the city corresponding to the geographical zone of the number is required and official proof of address (photo ID, public utility bill etc) will be needed to activate the number.

For national phone numbers, any address (place of residence/business) in Germany can be accepted (again with proof of address).

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

If a government issued photo ID with a local address is sufficient, we may get into business after all. Off course, my problem is that my Obi 202 is already occupied with four accounts...

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen to cb14

Premium Member

to cb14
said by cb14:

Even tougher to get is a Swedish DID is where you need an actual Swedish SSN (!).

You don't need a Swedish SSN if you choose a Swedish 010 (+4610XXXXXXX) phone number. 010 is a non-geographic "area" code.
steve1111
Albany, NY

steve1111 to cb14

to cb14
Localphone say they charge only one dollar a month for German and Swedish DIDs and do not place any restrictions or conditions such as SSN or residency.

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624

Anon

said by steve1111:

Localphone say they charge only one dollar a month for German and Swedish DIDs and do not place any restrictions or conditions such as SSN or residency.

Have you gone all the way, through the ordering process?

Sometimes until you go all the way, it's not clear what restrictions you will be put under.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to steve1111

to steve1111
Steve, they actually refused to get me a German DID in spite of having and e-mailing them a German national ID card with the corresponding address on it ( a real one, no fake, verifiable- how comes that I have one does not belong here) with a lame excuse that it was not enough.
steve1111
Albany, NY

steve1111

No, I didn't go all the way through the ordering process, and now it becomes more clear to me, from what you have told me, that Localphone is indeed setting restrictions.

Do other Voip providers also set similar restrictions?

Interesting that a German DID (with ID restrictions) costs $1 and a Japan DID costs $10. Is it true that there is not much of a Voip market in Japan?

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624

Anon

said by steve1111:

Do other Voip providers also set similar restrictions?

It is not "set" by the provider, they are complying with government restrictions in those countries.

Here is an excellent reference from the folks at Voip.MS:
»www.voip.ms/m/intlrestri ··· ions.php
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to steve1111

Premium Member

to steve1111
You can get Japanese DIDs for less than $10. (through other providers)

There is a huge VOIP market in Japan - but it's all ISP-provided VOIP kinda like cable-VOIP in the US. There are very few companies providing independent VOIP and typically the rates they offer are high. I don't know of any carriers publicly offering wholesale service (origination and termination).

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to Gershom 1624

to Gershom 1624
Gershom, the problem is that the interpretation of the government imposed rules is left to the wholesale provider of the DID's , thus not to Localphone or Voip.ms.
For the German government, a national ID with address is perfectly sufficient. However, it was apparently not enough for Localphone's DID supplier, which more or less created it's own rules.

Additionally, some of the information on voip.ms site is either not accurate or again, the DID suppliers create their own rules . For examp0le, I did not need to supply any address for my Belgian DID.