how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bobmyers

join:2009-06-19
Fairfield, CA

EA6500 Best Network Setting

Just wondering what are the recommended setting for optimum performance for the 2.4GHz and the 5.0 GHZ networks?

Also wondering what all this AC specs are about. How do I know if a device will support AC standards?

For example, Cisco told me I should use channel 1,5,9 but on the 2.4 GHz network but I had always thought that channel 11 was best.

I replaced my WRT54G and so far this new router has been great, seems fast.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO

The best performance will be on the channel with the least interference—and most decent Access Points (APs) will scan the airwaves and pick the best channel. As for 802.11ac, if a device supports this it will be noted, but this has not yet received final approval and the best performance for this will require the AP to be close to the client.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to bobmyers

Ripped from Wikipedia

quote:
IEEE 802.11ac is a wireless computer networking standard of 802.11, currently under development (Draft 4.0[1]), providing high-throughput wireless local area networks on the 5 GHz band.[1] Standard finalization is in late 2012, with final 802.11 Working Group approval in late 2013.[1] According to a study, devices with the 802.11ac specification are expected to be common by 2015 with an estimated one billion spread around the world.[2]

Theoretically, this specification will enable multi-station WLAN throughput of at least 1 gigabit per second and a maximum single link throughput of at least 500 megabits per second (500 Mbit/s). This is accomplished by extending the air interface concepts embraced by 802.11n: wider RF bandwidth (up to 160 MHz), more MIMO spatial streams (up to 8), multi-user MIMO, and high-density modulation (up to 256 QAM).
Short ver, what is out there is "predraft" / beta at best, so you'll be doing alot of debugging for the vendors themselves.
And just like all previous versions of 802.11, unless ALL your gear is AC standard, it'll kick back to the lowest common
denominator.

Regards

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

quote:
it'll kick back to the lowest common
denominator.
Lowest common denominator, or highest common denominator. If I have a mixture of ac and g wireless, surely the ac devices will fall back to g. "Lowest common denominator" suggests the whole network will fall back to b. That can't be right, can it?
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

Lemme rephrase that for your benefit markysharkey See Profile... "lowest common denominator of the equipment currently
in the environment," hence yes if 1x piece of gear were G and the rest AC, the AC devices would kick back down to G.

Regards