share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

[Laptop] Oh hell, this bad, very very bad, Please READ BEFORE BU

So I wondered why, on my brand new laptop, I cannot find a utility or anything to make OS Restore disks AND there is NO, I repeat NO COA or License Key on the bottom of the laptop:

It seems that, with Lenovo and with HP and with Sony and maybe others, with Win8, there is no longer a restore disk option!!!

I tried using the included tool to make backup DVDs but it refuses to use the DVD drive, it insists on a hard drive!

I am pissed. It's too late in the day, I won't call Lenovo today, I need to calm myself first, but this is unacceptable.

So if the HD goes south and the warranty is out in a year, I will have to either BUY a license OR do something illegal. This is bullpucky. Unacceptable.

What are people doing in response to this, don't we have rights to the license?

Laptop is a brand new G580, OS is 8.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Re: [Laptop] Oh hell, this bad, very very bad, Please READ BEFOR

Ask Lenovo?

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

»forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8/B···11#M1840
This thread not just first post may have some info.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to signmeuptoo

Win8 does away with those. If you want to be able to reinstall the OS on demand you have to purchase a full retail copy of the version you have (or would rather have). MS doesn't want to spend the additional money for discs or producing the labels...particularly since the majority of end-users don't need them to get started, and then never go near them once they have the system running. Most consumers just have the manufacturer or other techs repair kaput boxen for them. Believe it or not, those of us who actually know what we're doing with a computer are in the minority.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Wow, that's dumb. What does it cost them to allow for a backup disc to ship for $10-20? Every HUP I have used, including Microsoft, includes that option.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Ok, just got off the phone with a very competant and helpful Filipina from Lenovo.

Here's the scoop:

There are a LOT of changes that are making the tech support have real headaches, thanks to changes with Win8.

I need to buy a 16+gig USB flash drive to make a backup on to, it is the ONLY option. They will only send restore DVDs to people with broken laptops. And I don't know how a 32 gig partition will fit on a 16 gig flash drive...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to Krisnatharok

Times have changed. Parts have become far more reliable and uniform. And, frankly, competent users who can (or even want to) work under the hood are an endangered species. There's no point in the expense when those discs are going to end up unused and likely discarded within 2-3 years. Those of us who still want/need the discs will have to just get with the program.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

Also have read the licence key may be in the bios. Just need a copy of your os.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

Times have changed. Parts have become far more reliable and uniform. And, frankly, competent users who can (or even want to) work under the hood are an endangered species. There's no point in the expense when those discs are going to end up unused and likely discarded within 2-3 years. Those of us who still want/need the discs will have to just get with the program.

I don't know about that... but your point still stands--idiot consumers would rather pack off the whole laptop back to the manufacturer to get the HDD replaced and OS reinstalled than do it themselves.

And manufacturers are happy about this, because if you didn't pay the arm and leg for the warranty, they going to hold the laptop's functionality hostage until you pony up the $200 for the replacement and reinstall.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

I found a 16 gig Micro SD and I have an el cheapo USB to Micro SD adapter, trying to do it as I write this. It's slow. I wonder how I test it?

I don't mind this if this is how to do it now. A flash drive won't get scratched up like an optical disk... OTOH, a flash memory can get damaged electronically, I had a couple early flash thumb drives fail on me...

Hope this solution works.

Next time I go into the EFI/BIOS I'll look into the license thing...
--

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

I don't know about that... but your point still stands--idiot consumers would rather pack off the whole laptop back to the manufacturer to get the HDD replaced and OS reinstalled than do it themselves.

I only use major brand, business-grade systems, which is certainly a different world from consumer-class systems. My main system is now 7 years old; never had a problem with it (but it is at last starting to get sluggish enough that a new one this year is inevitable). But, even folks I know who buy the cheapy consumer systems are having fewer issues with DOAs or kaput-within-a-year issues the last few years. From that, one can infer that manufacturers have wised-up and can at least put parts into a system that will at least work properly until a little while after the warranty runs out...by which time it's time to buy a new system. Fewer and fewer folks these days will even bother with memory or disk upgrades when that's really all they need to prolong the useful life. That's just how it is today.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Frankly, if this is part of Secure Boot of Win 8 (getting its license verification off of the BIOS) and mandating that people use USB Flash drives, I'm up for that, but we need to KNOW about it, not by surprise, and it better work! Since making the optical drives was a nightmare anyways (half the time the disk burn failed and you weren't allowed to make a second set unless you found a work around).

And if this will let me make more than one recovery copy (I'll buy another thumb drive and store it at BIL's), I'm happy.

Though I wonder if I am prevented from installing Linux on this?
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by signmeuptoo:

Though I wonder if I am prevented from installing Linux on this?

If you want to leave secure boot "on" you'll need to get a special bootloader for Linux, this should be fairly painless on Ubuntu, for other distros you have to check the documentation.

Efforts have been made to ensure you can still install Linux in the face of Secure boot.

Some information here as it relates to Ubuntu:

»help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to signmeuptoo

The practice of embedding the license info in the BIOS has been around for a while, long before Windows 8. In general, it's slowly becoming more and more inconvenient for those of us that work on our own computers to do such things with OEM PCs.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS#SLIC
--
KI6RIT

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Thing is, I don't see where it shows my license key in the EFI anywhere.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

I've never seen a SLIC-enabled BIOS list the key before. Try running this on the laptop.
--
KI6RIT

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

I read somewhere that the activation of Windows 8 is based upon a digital signature/certificate that's burned into the BIOS by the OEM.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

That's exactly what I'm referring to with the link I posted above, and it's not limited to Windows 8. I've done fresh Windows XP, Vista, and 7 installs on many OEM PCs (mainly Dell, with a couple of HPs as well) and have not needed to enter in the serial during or after the installation process. In every case, the copy activated properly.
--
KI6RIT

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Since making the optical drives was a nightmare anyways (half the time the disk burn failed and you weren't allowed to make a second set unless you found a work around).

All it was to allow a second set of CD's to copy the factory default was to delete (from memory) a .sys file and reboot, the prompt would appear again. However booting from a CD and looking for the file might scare most newbies.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to n_w95482

said by n_w95482:

The practice of embedding the license info in the BIOS has been around for a while, long before Windows 8. In general, it's slowly becoming more and more inconvenient for those of us that work on our own computers to do such things with OEM PCs.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS#SLIC

That will help decide on future purchases then, until they force even builds to be nonexistent any more. Heck, I can see it illegal in the future to tamper with hardware because you might be a "baddie" breaking copyright. Don't worry about DRM if that comes off.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke