Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4

Re: [Rant] Stop & Shop

It must be that store or your area. I never had issues with Stop & Shop when I lived in Boston. I went out of my way to go to the one in Stoneham because it was one of the huge, suburban stores as opposed to the ones in-town near me that had limited floor space. Giant (S&S' name down here in the mid-Atlantic) is generally well-stocked and tended, even the urban ones.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

My previous S&S rant - »[Rant] Stop and Shop

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

1 recommendation

DC DSL

Premium Member

You need to chill out and simply accept that the world does not revolve around your immediate gratification. The vast majority of us who can't find something in a store will find a floor person or mosey over to the Customer Service desk and ask. If a store doesn't carry something you want, then you should ask them to consider stocking it. If they're out of something that was advertised, ask for a raincheck. And, if a particular store's staff is not helpful or friendly, bump it up to the corporate folks...they don't want workers who aren't customer-focused.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

said by DC DSL:

You need to chill out and simply accept that the world does not revolve around your immediate gratification. The vast majority of us who can't find something in a store will find a floor person or mosey over to the Customer Service desk and ask. If a store doesn't carry something you want, then you should ask them to consider stocking it. If they're out of something that was advertised, ask for a raincheck. And, if a particular store's staff is not helpful or friendly, bump it up to the corporate folks...they don't want workers who aren't customer-focused.

Or try some place else
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to DC DSL

to DC DSL
I prefer to vote with my feet.

EDIT: And these stores have a zillion square feet. Would it really kill them to carry all 3 types of Glad 30 gal bags instead of just one?

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

EDIT: And these stores have a zillion square feet. Would it really kill them to carry all 3 types of Glad 30 gal bags instead of just one?

You can certainly do what you want. But communicating to a merchant you were disappointed by your experience, and giving them a chance to resolve it, usually does far more good than just walking away and venting on the Internet...even with a huge corporation like Stop&Shop. If more people made the effort to reach out the people who *can* fix something instead of just complaining about it online, businesses would be run far more effectively and satisfactorily.

As for why they don't carry the full line, that decision was undoubtedly made by actual sales figures. Large retailers know precisely how well individual SKUs are moving. If a particular size or color doesn't sell (and they aren't getting a good incentive from the manufacturer), it's gone from the store or stores where it's not a mover, and fast.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Click for full size
1/6 bbl bag
I contacted Kings Supermarkets in the past when they switched from 1/6 bbl paper bags to 1/7 bbl paper bags.* I got three calls back from a manager at corporate on the issue. They must have gotten a lot of complaints because the last call was to tell me they were switching back to the 1/6 bbl bags but it would take some time to deplete the stock of the 1/7 bbl bags and I should be patient.

* The 1/7 bbl bags were 3 inches shorter and therefore held a lot less.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC

DC DSL

Premium Member

So you know reaching out does work. Poo occurs; there are far greater concerns than a store not having what you wanted when you were in. Get worked up over some of them.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

It's just that I have repeated problems at this Stop & Shop (the store also has a pungent odor). I don't have those problems when I go to Kings.
Bob4

Bob4 to DC DSL

to DC DSL
Oh, and then there was the time at Stop & Shop when the cash register came up with a price that was higher than what was on the shelf. It was a major production involving multiple people to get the price corrected. It took me over 10 minutes at the Customer Service desk for what should have been a simple transaction.

The store sucks. It really does.
87062379 (banned)
join:2013-01-22
USA

87062379 (banned) to DC DSL

to DC DSL
heck of a point

Poorfellow
join:2008-03-16
Taco Town

Poorfellow to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Then why the fuck do your feet keep taking you back?
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by Poorfellow:

said by Bob4:

Then why the fuck do your feet keep taking you back?

Because he likes to complain.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to Poorfellow

to Poorfellow
Already covered:
quote:
I only go to this store because I can walk there from work.

Poorfellow
join:2008-03-16
Taco Town

Poorfellow

said by Bob4:

Already covered:

quote:

So you're continuing to vote "yes" with your feet, and you don't have the capability to talk to the manager of the store face to face regarding your complaints... then complain about the time it takes to receive an emailed response from their corporate office?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

2 edits

Bob4

said by Poorfellow:

you don't have the capability to talk to the manager of the store face to face regarding your complaints...

If they don't carry the type of garbage bag I wanted to buy, talking to the manager will not help. He's not going to produce the Glad bags from his hip pocket. And since I looked in the proper place for the cookies and the shelf was empty, there was no reason to think talking to a manager would help me. If they had the cookies, they should be on the shelf, and they weren't.

So there was no reason to expect that wasting even more time at the store would result in me being able to spend my money as intended.
said by Poorfellow:

then complain about the time it takes to receive an emailed response from their corporate office?

???
said by me :
Surprisingly, I got a prompt reply from them.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

They don't carry Glad. Could have trie something else. Manager said he would have comped you a box of the other brand for you to try.

It's not unusual for featured on-sale items to be at the aisle caps.

Just asking a clerk about the cookies wuld have solved your problem.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Already covered:

quote:

You really needed cookies and trash bags while at work? Are there no stores around your home?

You say you prefer to vote with your feet yet you keep voting to go back. Where is this actual vote?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

It was going to rain yesterday afternoon, so I wanted to go before it started. Otherwise, I would have stopped at my greatly-superior Kings supermarket on the way home.
Bob4

Bob4 to AsherN

to AsherN
Glad > Hefty

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
Sounds like you did it to yourself then. You were unhappy with that business previously, you knew who would have what you want, and you still chose to go there.

So when is the next Stop & Shop rant post going to come about considering you still won't cast this so called vote of yours?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Probably in about 6 months.

I still need the cookies, so maybe I should go there now.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to Cthen

to Cthen
said by Cthen:

You say you prefer to vote with your feet yet you keep voting to go back. Where is this actual vote?

The voting is neck-and-neck between the feet and the feet.