Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL

Re: [Laptop] Oh hell, this bad, very very bad, Please READ BEFOR

said by DC DSL:

Times have changed. Parts have become far more reliable and uniform. And, frankly, competent users who can (or even want to) work under the hood are an endangered species. There's no point in the expense when those discs are going to end up unused and likely discarded within 2-3 years. Those of us who still want/need the discs will have to just get with the program.

I don't know about that... but your point still stands--idiot consumers would rather pack off the whole laptop back to the manufacturer to get the HDD replaced and OS reinstalled than do it themselves.

And manufacturers are happy about this, because if you didn't pay the arm and leg for the warranty, they going to hold the laptop's functionality hostage until you pony up the $200 for the replacement and reinstall.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I found a 16 gig Micro SD and I have an el cheapo USB to Micro SD adapter, trying to do it as I write this. It's slow. I wonder how I test it?

I don't mind this if this is how to do it now. A flash drive won't get scratched up like an optical disk... OTOH, a flash memory can get damaged electronically, I had a couple early flash thumb drives fail on me...

Hope this solution works.

Next time I go into the EFI/BIOS I'll look into the license thing...

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I don't know about that... but your point still stands--idiot consumers would rather pack off the whole laptop back to the manufacturer to get the HDD replaced and OS reinstalled than do it themselves.

I only use major brand, business-grade systems, which is certainly a different world from consumer-class systems. My main system is now 7 years old; never had a problem with it (but it is at last starting to get sluggish enough that a new one this year is inevitable). But, even folks I know who buy the cheapy consumer systems are having fewer issues with DOAs or kaput-within-a-year issues the last few years. From that, one can infer that manufacturers have wised-up and can at least put parts into a system that will at least work properly until a little while after the warranty runs out...by which time it's time to buy a new system. Fewer and fewer folks these days will even bother with memory or disk upgrades when that's really all they need to prolong the useful life. That's just how it is today.