Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

4 edits
reply to Bill Neilson

Re: [AZ] Moving to Arizona. Apartments with Cox? Good/Bad?

said by Bill Neilson:

In 1-2 months, I am moving to Phoenix for a new job. I have never even been to Arizona so my wife and I are looking around and have seen several apartments that we are interested in. We just want to rent an apartment for the time being so that we don't get locked into too much, too early.

Anyway, virtually all of the apartments are wired with Cox.

This is what i would do before moving in the Area,
Look and see whats available this way you would options that you can use if needed down the road and not struck with one service Provider.this goes with the schooling system the same way its shopping around. lets say you like this one Neighborhood but its only 1 provider but 5 minutes away there's 5 pick that one with five providers..

Here's a Map to help you Media com thats in some areas

Zoom/scroll in to see areas.
»www.fcc.gov/maps/connect-compete···rage-map

Phoenix Looks like its controlled 100% by cox. Move in a area that's not and you have a choice.
COX Cap only 250 gig that's hard on gamers very hard, i should know.

I used so far 245 GIG and i have 7 days more to go.. think i will be over more like 265gig oh well.

People want speed but whats that any good with no Cap increase?
--
Holocaust survivors and their family's fill this out.
»online.ushmm.org/registry/update···form.php

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

Phoenix is not 100% controlled by Cox.. Depending on the area there are a couple of wireless isps and qwest/centurylink.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by nickphx:

Phoenix is not 100% controlled by Cox.. Depending on the area there are a couple of wireless isps and qwest/centurylink.

Which Areas can you point that out to him?

the thing is hes a gamer and with a cap of 250 GIG? that will be hard on him, People want these speeds that's fine but we're getting no cap increase?

am at 240 now 7 days to go.Me am a gamer and a Partner on »www.twitch.tv
--

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Gaming doesn't take up that much bandwidth IMHO. Its mostly tiny UDP traffic. A live stream, yes, but not the actual online gaming.

I would be more concerned about latency and the peering in AZ and what route your traffic would take to the particular servers you play on. Can anyone speak to that point? How is it in AZ?

Also, try not to get a wireless gateway. Latency caused by network issues can also cause many gaming headaches and I think someone who likes to do his work will enjoy looking at all the different options out there.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by Optimus2357:

Gaming doesn't take up that much bandwidth IMHO. Its mostly tiny UDP traffic. A live stream, yes, but not the actual online gaming.

Gaming does Excuse me i wasn't streaming one month i went over my so called cap of 250 by 20gig.

Charter is 2 Miles from my house their tap and 100MBIT download is $95. Cox 50 download is $99.99 did you see the issue here?

btw Charter their 100 MBIT download cap is 500 GIG.
--

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Optimus is right gaming take little to no badwidth as far as caps are concerned, i have 3 computer and a xbox and we all play cs, crysis,bf3 just to name a few and this is my bandwidth ussage. so if you are going through that much bandwidth then you are doing something else ,movies,music file download or upload

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Optimus2357

latency i get any where between 15ms and 90ms depending how far the server is, typically i avg 30=50ms for servers in L.A., seattle and dallas