share rss forum feed

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to mj3431

Re: Comcast business is $60 a month

said by mj3431:

It appears you're not familiar with how e-rate works.

Actually I think I am.
said by mj3431:

The pricing on most dedicated services is driven by a state contract to begin with, so schools already get better than commercial pricing.

Yes, they're funneled to the high-cost/high-margin services available on the e-rate contract; even if a simple and cheap solution would be appropriate. This is exactly how you see stories here about small rural schools in WV using e-rate to get a pair of redundant $50k installed.
So exactly as I said, you get a really nice and expensive service installed even though a cheaper alternative could have been just as good at solving the problem.

said by mj3431:

Rarely does e-rate make a connection outright free. It also covers basic telephone access, cellular, and long distance, not just Internet service.

In the public sector, getting grant money is seen as a goal on its own. Spending a couple thousand to bring in several thousand in grants is viewed by many even if there are no benefits realized from the grants. The size of the kingdom is still increased.

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
Perhaps providers and competition are a little different in NY. In MO there's often not multiple options for dedicated high bandwidth access.

If an organization is being steered toward a product they don't need, don't blame the provider. Blame the idiot IT manager for not doing his/her homework and purchasing a product that is unnecessary. The goal of the business is to make money.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
said by mj3431:

Perhaps providers and competition are a little different in NY. In MO there's often not multiple options for dedicated high bandwidth access.

Level 3, Verizon Business/MCI, Cogent, TW Telecom, Windstream, will run metro business fiber anywhere if you sign a contract, plus the local cable co. All them have metro fiber in MO.

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
This is getting OT, but I'm aware of all of this, and none of them pass a building I'm familiar with.

And yes, I already asked the local cable, 2 area telcos, and Windstream, and they all refused to build to that location because there were no other business opportunities near it. They (recently) all told me they just couldn't make any money off it. Period. Thanks to federal stimulus funding the building will be a Community Anchor and served with 1Gbps service before the year ends for little more than 2 T-1's now.

WYOIT

@bresnan.net
Or you have CenturyLink or Optimun that want several thousand dollars to build out a few hundred feet of fiber... in one case $15,000 for 90 feeet. E-Rate does have some success, but it is still all bureaucratic BS. I know there are a couple progressive states with smart leadership in IT looking to adjust things in that area... time will tell if it will work.