uniqs
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Re: New here ... can I please get a little comcast DVR advice?

Weird. So how'd Comcast get suckered into using Sci Atlanta's naming system when they use mostly Moto hardware? It's just bizarre...

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

As was mentioned before, the "RNG" designations are a Comcast labeling scheme with respect to their Residential Network Gateway specification.

I guess when Cisco then built their new line of STBs/DVRs they just used the corresponding RNG numbers as their own model numbers.

Motorola just stuck to their DCX naming scheme, with the units built for Comcast just displaying the appropriate RNG numbers on their front panels.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

So Cisco used Comcast's naming scheme? That's even weirder!

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by BiggA:

So Cisco used Comcast's naming scheme? That's even weirder!

Well, like I said in my previous post (»Re: New here ... can I please get a little comcast DVR advice?), it now looks like Cisco has their own "Explorer" series of model numbers for similar boxes for sale to other MSOs, so what I had said may not have been correct.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to BiggA

MVM

to BiggA
I've used the Cisco 8652HDC. Most likely that came out first and met Comcasts technical requirements specified for RNG-200N. I guess it means it has to have a certain amount of MIPS performance, memory, DOCSIS Set Top Gateway support, moca, and a minimum of a certain size hard drive. Also they all require 1 GHz tuning and MPEG4 support.

The higher "RNG" numbers must be stricter on CPU performance as the 8652HDC is Cisco's most powerful North American cable set top at the moment.

Makes me wonder if the RNG110's can run X1. If so will it be dumbed down? Will it still have the graphics capability to draw the slick UI transitions like the sliding effects, fades and scaling?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

Makes me wonder if the RNG110's can run X1. If so will it be dumbed down? Will it still have the graphics capability to draw the slick UI transitions like the sliding effects, fades and scaling?

I've been wondering the same thing.

We've heard that the Pace RNG150N that comes as extra room boxes with X1 DVR deployments doesn't perform a smoothly or load as quickly as the X1 DVR itself.

So I wonder what differences in processing power, etc. make a something an RNG110 versus a 150.
The Pace product pages for the 110 and 150 are missing some specs to be fully comparable, but it says the 110 is only a 1000 Drystone rated MIPS CPU while the 150 is rated at 1500 Drystones and the 110 has less flash memory, but it doesn't say how much RAM the 110 has but the 150 has 512MB which is in keeping with other newer DCX boxes from Moto.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
That gives us a clue as to what's next for Comcast: 1ghz VOD and MPEG-4 VOD and linear channels?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

it says the 110 is only a 1000 Drystone rated MIPS CPU while the 150 is rated at 1500 Drystones and the 110 has less flash memory, but it doesn't say how much RAM the 110 has but the 150 has 512MB which is in keeping with other newer DCX boxes from Moto.

Well for comparison the Tivo Premiere has a Broadcom BCM7413 400MHZ dual core CPU at 1100 Dhrystone MIPS. We all know the Tivo Premiere has an HD UI and a bunch of apps on it. So the RNG110 has very similar performance so it should be able to run an HD user interface.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

Well for comparison the Tivo Premiere has a Broadcom BCM7413 400MHZ dual core CPU at 1100 Dhrystone MIPS. We all know the Tivo Premiere has an HD UI and a bunch of apps on it. So the RNG110 has very similar performance so it should be able to run an HD user interface.

Ah yeah, well that's good then. I would think Comcast wouldn't have anything in their new "RNG" labeling that wasn't able to be part of their next generation platform, considering that is part of the reason why Comcast started using their "RNG" designation.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

We all know the Tivo Premiere has an HD UI and a bunch of apps on it. So the RNG110 has very similar performance so it should be able to run an HD user interface.

Well for any subs that get an RNG110, I sure hope it can aspire to something BETTER than the performance of the Tivo Premiere HD UI - at least judging from ALL the complaints about it at tivocommunity.com!
Many folks there finally gave up & have switched BACK to the SD UI, for several reasons.

And as far as having "a bunch of apps" on the UI - IMHO most people would rather have a basic, quick, nice-looking, bug-free UI for (just) the DVR/set-top functions - instead of all the buggy, bloatware apps that can be crammed onto the box, that just cause slowdowns & more bugs that have to constantly be fixed!
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by dishrich:

And as far as having "a bunch of apps" on the UI - IMHO most people would rather have a basic, quick, nice-looking, bug-free UI for (just) the DVR/set-top functions - instead of all the buggy, bloatware apps that can be crammed onto the box, that just cause slowdowns & more bugs that have to constantly be fixed!

True that!

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to dishrich

MVM

to dishrich
I think the future is all cloud powered apps. That way it wouldn't slow the box down. High performance streaming technology like OnLive or RemoteFX. Server farms can do the heavy lifting while the STB just really presents the video and I/O back and forth.

Such an edge that architecturally Satellite wouldn't be able to compete without requiring high speed broadband connection.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

but do they have the bandwidth to give each box it's own GUI?? they don't even have SDV or channels in mpeg4 (other then 3d?) and the SDV systems and mpeg4 systems have all of the game HD and team HD channels as well alot more of the HBO, STARz, MAX and SHOW HD.

Satellite still has better multi room, push VOD, better channels maps, out of market sports with most games with dual HD feeds (having all the of team and game channels will not get you that).

All of the big ten HD over flows (still missing on comcast)
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

I think the future is all cloud powered apps. That way it wouldn't slow the box down.

Maybe...& in what century WILL CC get this to the "masses"??? (as opposed to a couple of "test markets" )

High performance streaming technology like OnLive or RemoteFX. Server farms can do the heavy lifting while the STB just really presents the video and I/O back and forth.

Again, I am still NOT convinced THAT many subs give a flying f*&k about all these "apps" & "streaming" nonsense. Subs that really DO want a proper experience with these, have already got (better) equipment to do this. CC & all other cable (AND both sat) providers REALLY need to get back to improving the basic TV experience & quit worrying about the "apps" crap!

Such an edge that architecturally Satellite wouldn't be able to compete without requiring high speed broadband connection.

Of course you knew that by posting this, this WAS going to prompt our weekly DirecTV commercial babble from Joe...