Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brhalltx
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

Window Caulk - Brick to Aluminum

I'm going to have to recaulk some windows; brick exterior and aluminum framed windows.
Temperatures here go from 30 or so in the winter to 100 in the summer; sometimes lower than 30 in the winter...
Anybody have recommendations on caulk types? Silicone? Polymer? DuPont with Kevlar? It'd be nice if it'd stick to the brick...

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

I'd stick with a good exterior latex caulk.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to brhalltx

Silicone is made to stay elastic with temperature extremes. Caulk not too much so and you have to keep it painted especially with an exterior application.

brhalltx
Premium
Cypress, TX

It isn't going to be painted; unless somebody else wants to paint all of the brick.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to brhalltx

I use Lexel.

»www.sashco.com/hi/lexel.html
--
Zach

brhalltx
Premium
Cypress, TX

said by Zach1:

I use Lexel.

That looks interesting. And is totally paintable.

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to brhalltx

I have a policy at my house: Absolutely no silicone caulk allowed.

When it fails, and it will fail, its a bitch to clean out so you can recaulk. Nothing sticks to silicone so it absolutely has be 100% cleaned out.

Man, I hate that stuff with a passion!

I would use any of the terpolymer caulks on the market. Solar Seal is my favorite:
»www.npcsealants.com/900.htm

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 recommendation

reply to brhalltx

I use Ultima caulk by Geocell for anything important outside. Menards carries it, not sure where else you can buy it. That stuff sticks to anything, and the best part is it still looks good years later. I have some I used to caulk vinyl windows to pvc trim and the pvc trim to brick 6 years ago. It still looks practically brand new to this day.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
reply to brhalltx

Flex 9000, a thermoplastic caulk. Stays flexible like silicone, but it's much tougher and easier to work with.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

I use Ultima caulk by Geocell for anything important outside. Menards carries it, not sure where else you can buy it. That stuff sticks to anything, and the best part is it still looks good years later. I have some I used to caulk vinyl windows to pvc trim and the pvc trim to brick 6 years ago. It still looks practically brand new to this day.

Seconded. I started using it in about 2005 and it's held up very well. I probably have used more than a dozen tubes sealing brick to wood and wood to wood. Takes paint nicely. Wore gloves and used a "few" paper towels during application.

Don't be surprised if the neighborhood huffers get really friendly and offer to take out your trash!

Geocel Ultima Crystal Clear
Application Temperature: 35 to 140 F
Service Temp: -40 to 180 F
UPC # 079239271009
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

brhalltx
Premium
Cypress, TX

It seems like the consensus is anything but silicone. I have some reading to do...

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by brhalltx:

It seems like the consensus is anything but silicone. I have some reading to do...

Also avoid acrylic, if you get severe temperatures variations it will crack/split.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to brhalltx

Sonneborn's NP1 Polyurethane caulk would be at the top of my list. I usually buy it at my roofing supply store.

brhalltx
Premium
Cypress, TX

Thanks for all of the suggestions; I'll look at them all this weekend. Color may be a factor too; she-who-thinks-she-must-be-obeyed will chime in on that...

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to brhalltx

Due to the fact that you have two materials with widely different coefficients of expansion, you might need to use a bond breaker tape to insure that the caulk seal does not pull apart.