Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

[Rant] I usually don't Rant about Comcast but.......

This is a minor issue and it's somewhat directed, depending on the responses I get here, to many users who recommend going down to the local Comcast office to pick up equipment.

Soooooooooo....I recently determined that the 3-way splitter outside my house has developed a bad leg in one of it's outputs. Not really a problem except I don't have any good three ports left to use. So after the weekend I take a trip down to my local Comcast office to pick up a 3-way splitter. Stand in line which luckily wasn't all that long. Ask for a 3-way only to be informed they don't have any 3-ways to hand out, only 2-ways. WTF! You have got to be kidding me.

Stupid me I didn't think to ask are they just out or don't actually give 3-ways out. So now I'm looking for a Comcast van to stop and ask for a 3-way. Oh and gonna order some good 3-ways from somewhere.

Sucks to be me sometimes.

Is this what others have seen? The offices don't have 3-way splitters to hand out to there customers.

Crap I should just make a service call just to cost them money.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

Its unlikely that the service center even has 4 ways to hand out. In some markets the 3 ways were completely removed from the inventory. We just got them back here after a 2 year absence. So they may not even have them there at all.

The service center is not a parts warehouse though. They only have 2 ways because they are part of the self install kit. Specifically part of the internet self install kit. The install kits for video equipment typically only include a short and long coax cable and perhaps a HDMI cable for HD.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to jbob

The service call idea could backfire if the tech closes it with a chargable code, like customer wiring

jbob
Premium
Little Rock, AR

said by beachintech:

The service call idea could backfire if the tech closes it with a chargable code, like customer wiring

Hmmmm...don't get me started. I wouldn't put it past our locally untrained resources to attempt that. Oh did I mention is WAS the splitter that was bad? I do my own wiring thank you!
FYI I bypassed my wiring in troubleshooting the issue to begin with.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you're basically saying it was your side of the wiring that was at fault, no?

jbob
Premium
Little Rock, AR

You bring up a good point. Is the Comcast supplied 3-way splitter at the drop my problem or theirs? I understand "my" house wiring "their" drop. Who owns/is responsible for the initial splitter?

Again this is a minor issue for me. The rant is somewhat in jest. Splitters are cheap enough. But dammit I want my free one. lol

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jbob

As redrenner mentioned, the local Comcast office isn't a parts supply depot; they may happen to have a few items on hand, but not any comprehensive inventory. That simply isn't their function.

I needed a 3 way splitter as self-install kits only come with a 2-way, and just stopped off at a cables and connectors store and bought one...they're not at all expensive. (Not picking on 'ya, I am sure that you well know that!)

If buying a splitter just goes against the grain (I can understand that) then call Comcast support. For all the horror stories, I have actually found them to be pretty reasonable to deal with. When I asked them to swap me a D3 Arris eMTA for the older Thompson D2 eMTA they quickly sent me the new modem and even paid return postage on the old one.

I don't think that I'd ask for a truck roll over a splitter...
--
Deeds, not words

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jbob

said by jbob:

Who owns/is responsible for the initial splitter?

The demarcation point is usually a grounding block, which is essentially just a grounded coupler. Any splits after the grounding block are typically considered part of the customer wiring.

jbob
Premium
Little Rock, AR

I think you are correct however I have never had a grounded coupler at this location. And I'm on my 4th drop in 9 years. My initial splitter is what is grounded here.

But it's all good. I just need to order some quality splitters. Don't know of anyone that carries them locally.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

Click for full size
RG11 fitting on RG6 cable
There was a stretch of time that it appeared to be ok to ground splitters or DC's. At least some ground is better than no ground.

I'm not suprised to hear that you are not grounded with a proper ground block tho. Little Rock seems to be fond of using house boxes and amps outside and no ground blocks, drop hangers or proper fittings. Spent a lot of time cleaning up the mess while down there in January to clean up the storm mess. I actually found this at a house behind a DVR.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to jbob

I have the service protection plan. They fixed a couple minor issues for me last year. For me it's worth $50/year not to worry about it. Last time they were out they replaced every fitting for me and I have 10 cable outlets. 8 TV's, 1 cable modem and 1 CDV modem.
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

jbob
Premium
Little Rock, AR
reply to rendrenner

I can't say for sure exactly what the grounding/connection requirements are but they should be pretty close to code now. I had my drop moved from it's original location from the side of the house where the splitter ground was a long copper wire than ran under the house to copper water line. It's now on the back side of the house next to the service entrance and the house ground. This is where the current splitter is grounded.

Is a Demarc grounding block actually code? Hell if so I can do that myself as well.